Whipple 3.4L Facts to Know About

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I felt it necessary to post this after seeing some of our customers issues with the 3.4L Kit and it's fitment. This is to help them as well as anyone else out there interested in a 3.4L Kit. This will be not only a disclosure to all but also an interaction between other 3.4L owners and their experience with the blower.

So please help us build this thread up by posting information that you feel is important for others to know about the 3.4L Kit.

1. The 3.4L Kit will require you to clearance the center support on the underside of the hood regardless of what type of K-Member you are using. Below is a picture showing where the modification needs to take place for the blower to fit properly under the stock hood.
40964d1183880853-new-whipple-stock-hood-dsc00202.jpg

2. The 3.5" upper pulley has no clearance issues at all with the stock hood. Whipple has confirmed that a 3.75" pulley did fit under the stock hood however the pulley has no lip on it. We will be trying to verify if the 3.80" ones we had made for us will clear as well however until that is confirmed to be safe lets just assume it doesn't. This also means that the 4.00" upper will not clear a stock hood.

3. Lowering the engine with motor mounts for more clearance can be done however you do end up bringing the oil pan closer to the steering rack. We're not sure if using offset steering rack bushings will clearance the rack from the pan but I would definitely like to know. Then comes the question about which motor mounts to use. I spoke with BMR and a few other suspension guru's today and they were all unsure about which motor mount actually lowers the motor as most of them are just made with better poly material but keep the stock engine height.

4. There may be the solution of spacing the K-member. I spoke to Al Papitto today and he turned me onto a guy he knows who makes these spacers. They will space the Kmember from the frame by 3/8" to 1/2" which should help those to run up to the 4.00" upper on a stock hood. I'll be gather more information about pricing and availability on them tomorrow.

5. The 3.4L will require the use of aftermarket fuel rails. We already have confirmed the CPR rails do fit without any issues.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
TorchedCoupe said:
How does the hood look after it has been modified?

The same..It's just the underside of the hood that needs to be modified. It's a center support brace..

Here is a pic with the portion that needs to be removed outlined in black marker.
40964d1183880853-new-whipple-stock-hood-dsc00202.jpg

dansvt

dansvt
Established Member
are you a picture with the job done and which compagny do a pully with no lip ? i'm really interested to whipple 3.4 but i don't want change my hood!

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
dansvt said:
are you a picture with the job done and which compagny do a pully with no lip ? i'm really interested to whipple 3.4 but i don't want change my hood!

Dany,

I replied to your email but to answer your question here you can run the Whipple on the stock hood. You just have to run the 3.5" upper which it comes with and a 6.5" lower which we sell. We do have 3.80" uppers but have not confirmed yet whether they have enough clearance to fit under the stock hood.

Jared :beer:

rob03svt06

Purple Heart Veteran
Established Member
im putting one of these suckers on my rebuild thats in progress, with a stock lower pulley, what is the boost with the stock 3.4 pulley?? thanks, Rob

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
rob03svt06 said:
im putting one of these suckers on my rebuild thats in progress, with a stock lower pulley, what is the boost with the stock 3.4 pulley?? thanks, Rob

The kit comes with a 3.5" upper. That and a stock lower will make about 24-25lbs. Jared :beer:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
mrpork said:
how about a 4lb lower with the 3.4 is that recommend or not

There's no issue running a lower pulley other than you're going to make more boost. The 3.5" upper that comes with the kit will make 25lbs of boost which is more than what most want to run so adding a 4lb lower into the mix gives you 29lbs. If you've got the block to do it I say go for it!! Jared :beer:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
Corona-Extra said:
holy shit, that thing is a monster!

What if I want a really big blower? is there a bigger option?, like if I wanted to make,,, lets say 40lbs maybe,and I want the blower to stick out of the hood, like on cobrabobs avatar :) that would really be awesome. j/k

RCMPSVT

Established Member
How much max boost can u make safely. Im really wanting a 3.4L but have no plans to upgrade any internals yet.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
What level of boost is there with a 4" upper, and the bigger lower pulley to reduce boost? And the same with the 3.8" upper?

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
04blkterminator said:
How much max boost can u make safely. Im really wanting a 3.4L but have no plans to upgrade any internals yet.

If you want to safely run pump gas on your stock block I would say about 20-21lbs max. There's a customer of ours running 25lbs on the stock block but he uses race fuel and has been real lucky..LOL

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Jared

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
427Windsorman said:
What level of boost is there with a 4" upper, and the bigger lower pulley to reduce boost? And the same with the 3.8" upper?

You'll make about 21lbs I believe with the 4.0" Upper and stock lower. The 6.50" lower pulley we have has been tested now to show a decrease in boost by almost 4lbs. This is helpful because the 4.00" upper won't clear the stock hood so all you need to run 21lbs is the 6.50" lower we have and you're all set.

The 3.80" upper should make about 23lbs of boost with the stock lower.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks, Jared

RCMPSVT

Established Member
Jared, what else comes with the kit? Also the fuel upgrades include rails and injectors, anything else needed for install??

BTW how do u guys ship to canada?

Last edited:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
04blkterminator said:
Jared, what else comes with the kit? Also the fuel upgrades include rails and injectors, anything else needed for install??

BTW how do u guys ship to canada?

The 3.4L Kit is just like the 2.3L kit. It includes the blower, some oil, a few bolts, instructions and a pulley.

For fuel upgrades you'll want some 60's, GT pumps, Modified FPDM or Dual FPDM kit and also a bigger MAF for the intake. Those are the essentials.

We ship Fed Ex to Canada. We can get you a shipping quote if you like just PM me your postal code. You are responsible for duties and taxes associated with crossing the border. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Jared

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
black03 said:
You'll make about 21lbs I believe with the 4.0" Upper and stock lower. The 6.50" lower pulley we have has been tested now to show a decrease in boost by almost 4lbs. This is helpful because the 4.00" upper won't clear the stock hood so all you need to run 21lbs is the 6.50" lower we have and you're all set.

The 3.80" upper should make about 23lbs of boost with the stock lower.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks, Jared

How about with the 6.5" lower, and the 4" or 3.8" upper? I am looking into the possibility of getting another Terminator, instead of a Z06, and am getting my mod plan in place early :beer:

I would want to make anywhere from 17 to 19 pounds boost on the street tune, and have the ability to turn it up to 25+ on a race tune and race gas.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
black03 said:
There's a customer of ours running 25lbs on the stock block but he uses race fuel and has been real lucky..LOL

I like to think my tuner has something to do with that...;-)

Users who are viewing this thread