Whirling/rubbing noise after Pro-Level axle install???

craneb4

Established Member
OK so I'm at a loss here. Long story short, I had the DSS Level II axles and they worked great with no issues or noises. I picked up a set of used DSS Pro-Level axles (4,000 miles supposedly) with the upgraded hubs. I had the wheel bearings replaced when the hubs were switched. Put everything back together only to get this weird whirling/rubbing noise coming from the rear end. On stands with the car in gear, you can feel the vibration on the knuckle and it comes and goes with the rotation of the axle.

I thought maybe the hub bearings were the problem so I had them switched for a fresh set of Ford Timken hub bearings. Installed the outer CV into the hub and torqued everything down. Everything spun great and felt great before installing into the car. Install back into the car was great, no speed bumps. Run the car in gear again and the same whirling/rubbing noise is present. The hub bearings are 100% confirmed good. There is no slop or anything, they are perfect. The car did not make this noise with the Level II shafts installed.

Does anyone have any experience working with these axles? When the axles are out of the car the CV's feel great. Everything is tight and there's no binding of any kind. I really do not know what to do at this point. Called DSS and they were not much help to me.

The guys I bought them from said he had a True Trac in his car and that my stock differential could be the problem. There's nothing on DSS's website that claims you need a differential change. Not to mention the axles installed flawlessly into the differential with no issues. Help!!!

craneb4

Established Member
Update: DSS offered to bring the axles in to see if there's anything wrong with them. I'm going to be investigating the install one last time on the car tonight before I send them though. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

cj428mach

Established Member
Have you had the car on the road or are you just testing it on stands? The reason I ask is if my car is on stands the tires will rub the IRS bolts. If you drop the car on the ground it misses the bolts by a mile.

Users who are viewing this thread