Whirring Noise....possible driveline related?

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Hey everyone. I have a slight whirring noise when driving my car. It's not too loud, and is most audible around 2,500-3k rpms in 1st and 2nd. It's a rpm related sound I guess you could say....rpms raise, sound is more noticable. Push in the clutch and it gets quieter as the rpms drop. Kinda sounds like RFI through the radio, but it's definately not that. I was thinking maybe some sort of TOB issue. It's been going on for a couple weeks and hasn't gotten worse. I've got 24,900 miles on the car. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Blaise

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
check the wheel bearings

jack up under the control arm and grab the tire top and bottom (12:00 and 6:00). wiggle it towards you back and forth. if there's any play in it, the wheel bearings are shot. replace the hub&bearing assembly and the nut. if its a rear bearing, they tend to take the hub with them. again get a new axle nut. on the front there isnt any preload setting. torque the nut down and go. on the rear the nut preloads the rear bearings so its important that its kept tight. spec is the same on both front and rear nuts (as is the socket size 36mm) at 240 lb/ft

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Doesn't really sound like the PS does when it's under a heavy load. I hope my blower isn't about to freeze either!

I'll check the wheels bearings.....got a solid in the back though. The sound increases/decrease in loudness with the RPMs though. BTW, aren't the wheel bearings (front at least) supposed to be changed at 25k? I just turned 25k a few days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread