Who else has a leaking rear end???

Cobreezy

Established Member
Just had the rear pinion seal replaced and hoped that my diff leaking days would be over. Haven't driven the car for several days, looked under the car and low and behold.....diff fluid.:fm: What else could be wrong.....the diff cover seal? Two local Ford stealerships confirmed it was the pinion seal and NOT the diff cover. Anyone else have this problem?

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
I think all cobra diff's leak at one time if no brace is on. If it is the pinion seal you should see the fluid running down from it. If it is just on the bottom of the cover it's the covers seal. You could have a hairline crack maybe. Here is what I did I took the diff out resealed let cure 24 hrs put back together with brace and no leak. If you reseal with no brace it will leak again also it will probably leak if you don't let it cure fully. Now the only other thing is if you have to fill it and not let it cure don't drive it. In other words if a shop does it for you let it sit over night. The torque from driving it can cause fluid to get between the cover and then it won't dry properly. This is just a theory of mine since the fluid heats up gets thinner and the cover flexes it will leak.

Cobreezy

Established Member
I think all cobra diff's leak at one time if no brace is on. If it is the pinion seal you should see the fluid running down from it. If it is just on the bottom of the cover it's the covers seal. You could have a hairline crack maybe. Here is what I did I took the diff out resealed let cure 24 hrs put back together with brace and no leak. If you reseal with no brace it will leak again also it will probably leak if you don't let it cure fully. Now the only other thing is if you have to fill it and not let it cure don't drive it. In other words if a shop does it for you let it sit over night. The torque from driving it can cause fluid to get between the cover and then it won't dry properly. This is just a theory of mine since the fluid heats up gets thinner and the cover flexes it will leak.

Yeah i hear that this is a common problem. The thing is, i do have a BF brace on! I'm thinking if going the route you did. Did you have to drop the IRS pumpkin?

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
There are 3 ways to do this 1) drop the whole IRS it is the easiest way to get at the pumpkin 2) drop only the pumpkin you have to remove the exhaust then the 3 bolts that hold in the diff and pull the halfshafts 3) try to do it with the diff in you might as well commit suicide now because once you try this method you will want to. I did my reseal the first time using #1 the second time (not due to leak it's along story) I used method #2. to be honest it really does not matter I think #2 is quicker because you don't drop the whole IRS.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I'll probably jinx myself for saying this but I checked mine yesterday while changing the fuel filter, still no leak for me and I don't have a brace.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Yes, but not on my 04. It was on my son's 03. It was leaking when he bought it and it was fixed at the local Ford House under the extended warranty. Man, I am glad it was or he was. It was in the neighborhood of $900.00. :eek:

Cobreezy

Established Member
Well, I'm bringing in the car back to the Ford dealership on Thursday. They said that they were sorry to hear that it is still leaking. I'm gonna cross my fingers now.:??: I'll let you all know the outcome.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
i had this problem with my 03. fortunately at the time it was under warranty. never had any problem after that

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
mine is leaking. A friend said whoever did my gears did not let the gasket cure properly. So, I am going to get under there and redo the gasket. So, the gray RTV is the proper stuff to use?

What is the difference in RTV's? I have blue, and red at the house. I have never seen the gray, but I never looked for it either.

I still have to get the gear oil. How much does it take to fill it? The Ford Parts guy here said 4 qts. I can't see that thing holding 4 qts. I know I need the friction modifier, too.

I just noticed that this is a Terminator sub forum. My car is a 97.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
The grey RTV is used on diesels i think it is supposed to be better from what i have read. I used it on two reseals and no leaks so it works for me. As far as amount of oil I have no idea for your car but 4 qts does sound like a lot. The 03/04 cobras take 1.5 quarts and 4 oz. of friction modifier.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
thanks. I have heard 1 1/2 bottles, so i guess I will buy two bottles and see if that works out.

the Ford dealers sell it. It is around $4.50 for the 4oz bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread