Who has a 6.4 powerstroke or has ever owned one?

Jolseen

Established Member
I just love how nice the 6.4 was that I looked at. I read horror stories though of their fuel mileage and problems. Who of you has one currently or has had one and did you like it or have any problems?

tj04cobra

Established Member
I just love how nice the 6.4 was that I looked at. I read horror stories though of their fuel mileage and problems. Who of you has one currently or has had one and did you like it or have any problems?

Read my reply to the thread titled: New F250 Owner.

Edit: You're local, sent you a pm. Let me know what you think. Fuel milage and other problems can be cured with deleting emissions crap and tuning.

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I have a 2008 F250 6.4 turbo that we bought new.

Mileage the first year sucked ass. Mileage was in the low-mid teens. I now I have 24,500 miles on it and the mileage is much, much better. This weekend I drove NC-GA-NC for a total of 460 miles. Here is what I got:

Interstate cruising at 70mph - 20mpg
4 lane highway cruising at 60 mph - 22mpg
Interstate cruising at 80mph - 15mpg

Keep it under 70mph/2000rpms and you will get good mileage.

-Kevin

brkntrxn

Established Member
Lie-o-meter. However, I kept track of my mileage for every tank for the first year and the dash mileage was always within a tenth or so of my calculations.

I will say that on the trip back, the diesel regeneration kicked in at least twice and that probably had a part in the 15mpg at 80mph.

No, the emissions crap will stay on for another 75k miles. I have owned Fords in general, and specifically Cobras, for long enough to know how much Ford loves to deny warranty claims for any reason at all.

Besides, all my fun money goes into the the track car.

tj04cobra

Established Member
Lie-o-meter. However, I kept track of my mileage for every tank for the first year and the dash mileage was always within a tenth or so of my calculations.

I will say that on the trip back, the diesel regeneration kicked in at least twice and that probably had a part in the 15mpg at 80mph.

No, the emissions crap will stay on for another 75k miles. I have owned Fords in general, and specifically Cobras, for long enough to know how much Ford loves to deny warranty claims for any reason at all.

Besides, all my fun money goes into the the track car.

Yes they do love to deny warranty claims. IMO the regeneration is not good for the motor at all once you understand what exactly it is doing during regen. Waiting until it goes out of warranty is good tho and the 6.4s last a long time if you take care of them. I know a guy with one thats got almost 190k on it.

Have you had to take it in for any warranty repairs or radiators? Is it a job 1, 2, or 3?

brkntrxn

Established Member
In late '08 or early '09, I took it in for the degass bottle replacement and ECM reflash. Other than that, just oil and fuel filter changes.

Was there a recall on the radiators other than the degass bottle?

-Kevin

tj04cobra

Established Member
No recall on the radiators just the early ones got the "t fitting" recall. The later built trucks came with the fitting. The radiator is part of the 3/36000 as well

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
Being a 7.3 fan for years and running 3 of them to 150k-200k, i had to replace my last 7.3 in december. I got a 09 F350 and i will say the motor and trans is a good set up and the trucks tows great. I don't care for the lag dow low but the 6.4 loves rpm. milage sucks in town i see 9.5-11.5 hand cal, but on the hwy i ve seen as high as 17.4 mpg @ 70 and thats leveled with 35's. just went higher with the lift and lost .5 mpg so it not to bad. I was going to spartin tune it but i am going to wait for a few more miles on it. I had an a/c issue, and a new top end all by 8500 miles. Shes got 10k on it now and its been great and no more knocking and ice cold a/c. All in all the ride is great and i love having twin turbos, just keep oil changes to 5K and fuel filters to 10K and you will be fine. All in all i would buy another 6.4. But you do want to get rid of the DPF and regeneration asap as it's not good for the motor.:beer:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Being a 7.3 fan for years and running 3 of them to 150k-200k, i had to replace my last 7.3 in december. I got a 09 F350 and i will say the motor and trans is a good set up and the trucks tows great. I don't care for the lag dow low but the 6.4 loves rpm. milage sucks in town i see 9.5-11.5 hand cal, but on the hwy i ve seen as high as 17.4 mpg @ 70 and thats leveled with 35's. just went higher with the lift and lost .5 mpg so it not to bad. I was going to spartin tune it but i am going to wait for a few more miles on it. I had an a/c issue, and a new top end all by 8500 miles. Shes got 10k on it now and its been great and no more knocking and ice cold a/c. All in all the ride is great and i love having twin turbos, just keep oil changes to 5K and fuel filters to 10K and you will be fine. All in all i would buy another 6.4. But you do want to get rid of the DPF and regeneration asap as it's not good for the motor.:beer:

Even the most simple 30hp canned tune will get rid of that lag, it's built into the stock tune to help with emissions.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Unlike the 6.0 the only bad thing I continually read about'em is the mileage. As stated, DPF delete and a tune and you are good.

Users who are viewing this thread