Who has actually put 4.10 gears in????

speedtigger

Established Member
I want to hear from people who have actually changed the gear.
How much did you pick up at the track????
How does it drive????:beer:

Last edited:

speedtigger

Established Member
Elmo, buddy!
I have heard a ton of speculation on this.
there are threads full of speculation on this.

i need to talk to the racers who have actually done the gears!!!!

elmo0244

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraXtreme
I have an 01 cobra, and i want to get 4.10 gears, whats wrong with it? Will it put more stress on some shit?
i also had 4.10's in my 01 and i love them in that car but that was that car.:beer: i would put them in a 03-04 if i had slick's and got rid of my irs maybe.you have all the lowend tq you need with the s/c.traction problems suck bad.how crazy you going to get with your car?

Silver 03 Cobra

I wasn't going to mod my 03 much. I was one of the first to get one in June of 2002. I owned 99 and 01 Cobras so my first mods on my 03 were the same as my other Cobras, Bassani x-pipe and CB and then 4.10 gears a month later. The car made arounf 410 rwhp and 395 rwt at the the time. The 03 was the first car I ran at the track with ET Streets. I had a 2.80 pulley before I made my first pass on the ET Streets. It would trap over 7k rpm in third on an 1/8 and about the same revs in fourth on a 1/4. I didn't like carrying that many revs across the line so I swapped them out to 3.90 gears that pull about 6200 rpm across the line. As far as times, they were about the same.

I would only do 3.90's and only if you are planning to run it at the track a lot and don't plan on getting over 500 rwhp. My best sixty foot on the stock IRS with the 3.90's was 1.52 on a 100 degree day. It traps 123. I just drove an 03 for a few days with 460 rwhp and my car would destroy that car on a roll. But, if you plan on street racing from a dig "forgetaboutit". My car when I ran the stock F1's with a 2.80 upper and four pound lower would roast them in second easily with just throttle at 40-50 mph. All you had to do was mash it a little, no clutch. On cool nights on smooth pavement I could roll them pretty good in third at 70 mph if that tells you what is too much for the street. Off the line on the street in first you will not be able to get anywhere and you will lose to a car running 100 HP less. At the track on MT tires it is a different story. Lovem or hatem. I'll take mine but when I go to a KB next spring I'll probably drop to 3.73's or maybe even back to 3.55's. If you plan on running stock boost and maybe only exhaust mods, then I'd do the 4.10's. Other than that, stick with the 3.55's.

elmo0244

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
I wasn't going to mod my 03 much. I was one of the first to get one in June of 2002. I owned 99 and 01 Cobras so my first mods on my 03 were the same as my other Cobras, Bassani x-pipe and CB and then 4.10 gears a month later. The car made arounf 410 rwhp and 395 rwt at the the time. The 03 was the first car I ran at the track with ET Streets. I had a 2.80 pulley before I made my first pass on the ET Streets. It would trap over 7k rpm in third on an 1/8 and about the same revs in fourth on a 1/4. I didn't like carrying that many revs across the line so I swapped them out to 3.90 gears that pull about 6200 rpm across the line. As far as times, they were about the same.

I would only do 3.90's and only if you are planning to run it at the track a lot and don't plan on getting over 500 rwhp. My best sixty foot on the stock IRS with the 3.90's was 1.52 on a 100 degree day. It traps 123. I just drove an 03 for a few days with 460 rwhp and my car would destroy that car on a roll. But, if you plan on street racing from a dig "forgetaboutit". My car when I ran the stock F1's with a 2.80 upper and four pound lower would roast them in second easily with just throttle at 40-50 mph. All you had to do was mash it a little, no clutch. On cool nights on smooth pavement I could roll them pretty good in third at 70 mph if that tells you what is too much for the street. Off the line on the street in first you will not be able to get anywhere and you will lose to a car running 100 HP less. At the track on MT tires it is a different story. Lovem or hatem. I'll take mine but when I go to a KB next spring I'll probably drop to 3.73's or maybe even back to 3.55's. If you plan on running stock boost and maybe only exhaust mods, then I'd do the 4.10's. Other than that, stick with the 3.55's.
well said :beer:

03DSG

Silver03Snake: when you say your car would destroy that car from a roll, how fast of a roll are you talking about? I have had geared mustangs (4.10's in a 5.0, 4.10's in a bullitt, and 4.30's in a mach 1) and roll on speed was better than stock on anything below 50mph but I thought that when going freeway speeds and faster those 4.xx gears sucked when it came to roll on acceleration.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Sorry, no personal experience here with my car...but a guy I know has 3.90's and it seems to be the perfect gear. 4.10 is a little too much and 3.73 isn't quite enough.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraXtreme
I have an 01 cobra, and i want to get 4.10 gears, whats wrong with it? Will it put more stress on some shit?

I had an '01 with 4.30's. Boy was that fun!!!! :D

I would not change the gears on my 03 though.

speedtigger

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT4blood
I have done it whats up

i'm looking for performance feed back

60'
1/4
how does it drive? is it more fun? is it a pain in the ass??

:beer:

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by jtack
Silver03Snake: when you say your car would destroy that car from a roll, how fast of a roll are you talking about? I have had geared mustangs (4.10's in a 5.0, 4.10's in a bullitt, and 4.30's in a mach 1) and roll on speed was better than stock on anything below 50mph but I thought that when going freeway speeds and faster those 4.xx gears sucked when it came to roll on acceleration.

I'm just going by SOTP's. There is a lot of difference in the pull at speeds above 30 mph where you can get some traction. As far as at high speeds, at 80-90 mph the car pulls like a scalded ape. You have to remember the torque curve is flat on these cars.

As far as times, my best pass was last year at FFW where it ran 1.52, 7.31,97,11.39,122 on a 100 degree day with a full tank of pump gas. I had the car down building a chiller the rest of the summer. My next and last time on a track I busted a HS shifting into second. I've known I was going to be laid off since Jan of last year. Since my 03 is a daily driver, I decided I better take it easy. I really believe on a cool night on a fair track it could touch 10's. Next year it'll be back on the track.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread