Who has an Automatic in their Cobra

v8killr4u

Established Member
How do you like it?
What stall converter?
What name brand?
Final Cost for tranny and converter/install?

Im thinking about switching to an suto and just wanted some input.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
StngStr said:

I kinda agree with John

anyone can launch and drive a solid axle and auto but a Cobra is different.... :burnout:

not saying anything against it but it just isn't a Cobra with an auto

Last edited:

BigBill

Spray it
Established Member
I have a built 4R70W that I just put in teh cobra.
PI 2800 stall 3 disk TQ converter
Cost $4000ish.
but then I can sell the stock trans, flywheel, clutch, crossmember, driveshaft for over $1400 if I want to.

Skywarp

Established Member
03Cobra-Vert said:
What kind of price is that going to run you?
Also other than price, what rear wheel numbers are we looking at between the stick and auto?

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
It isnt cheap. Best bet is to call him, I dont like quoting prices. Plus, there are alot of different options to go with.

Skywarp, I am not sure I understand your question but I will give it a shot.
If you are asking how much hp I will lose to the transmission absorbing more than the manual, I am not sure. I do know the gains will more than make up for the loss of HP, however much it is.
If you are asking how much it can take, I would say somewhere upwards of 850 rwhp. This thing is a beast!

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
4.6 dohc + auto + solid axle == mach 1

You know, I knew it was just a matter of time before someone came in here with bullshit comments like that. Have you ever taken a ride in a propperly done auto/solid cobra?

Did I come in to any of your threads bashing what you do with your car? I just think it is pretty weak when someone like you bashes people for not doing the mods that you authorize.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you have nothing constructive to add to a thread then keep your comments to yourself or start your own thread. Unless that is all the tech you have to offer........

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
A. lighten up

B. ShelbyGuy provides more tech than most members of this board

C. sorry if you were offended by our comments...wasn't my intention nor was it John's

:beer:

Last edited:

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
Lighten up? I didn't come on here and insult you.

Yes, I was offended by his and your comments. People are so quick to bash things they have no idea about. If you or shelbyguy have driven a properly built auto/solid Cobra, then your comments would have been accepted and appreciated. This site is to help educate people on modding these cars, not bashing people when they do something outside of the norm.

The reason I get upset is because of all the bashing such as:

Solid axles are for drag cars only and their ride quality sucks, or
Autos are for people that cant drive a stick and they are all boring, or
Prochargers are crappy blowers and kits for terminators

V8Killr4u did not ask anyones opinions on how they thought an auto cobra would be. He asked for information because he is interested in doing a major modification that will turn his car into an animal if properly done. Instead he gets crap right off the bat.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
once again, you are reading more into it than is needed

your prerogative...

Last edited:

Skywarp

Established Member
jackers said:
It isnt cheap. Best bet is to call him, I dont like quoting prices. Plus, there are alot of different options to go with.

Skywarp, I am not sure I understand your question but I will give it a shot.
If you are asking how much hp I will lose to the transmission absorbing more than the manual, I am not sure. I do know the gains will more than make up for the loss of HP, however much it is.
If you are asking how much it can take, I would say somewhere upwards of 850 rwhp. This thing is a beast!
I might have some stake in this swap. I busted my right arm 2 months ago it healed wrong now I'll need an operation. My main concern is be able to drive the car effectively after all is said and done. Also what intrigues me is the Adrenaline with the six speed auto. The Adrenaline uses the same motor as the 03, 04 car possibly making the swap easier. :read:

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
How would the auto work with the IRS? Is it mandatory to go with a solid if you go auto? I am really considering this but I hate to waste all the work I did on my IRS to deal with wheel hop.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
badboy said:
How would the auto work with the IRS? Is it mandatory to go with a solid if you go auto? I am really considering this but I hate to waste all the work I did on my IRS to deal with wheel hop.

automatic will work just fine with the IRS :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread