Who has replaced axle seals on the IRS?

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
My driver axle seal is weeping.
I have the Ford service manual and it shows a special tool. Is that tool necessary for the job? Thanks inadvance for any info.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Not needed. Popped mine out carefully with a large flat head screw driver. Just take your time and it will come right out. Put new one in with something like this or find something near the same diameter as the new seal and use it and a hammer to tap the new one in.

A little tip: When you install new axle seals sometimes the new seal will not ride in the same groove on the axle as the old seal did. It can be off as much as 1/32" and spray fluid everywhere. Been there and done that too. I hand sanded my axle to remove the old seal's groove. No more problems.

10 Piece Bearing Race and Seal Driver Set

image_21572.jpg

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Not needed. Popped mine out carefully with a large flat head screw driver. Just take your time and it will come right out. Put new one in with something like this or find something near the same diameter as the new seal and use it and a hammer to tap the new one in.

A little tip: When you install new axle seals sometimes the new seal will not ride in the same groove on the axle as the old seal did. It can be off as much as 1/32" and spray fluid everywhere. Been there and done that too. I hand sanded my axle to remove the old seal's groove. No more problems.

10 Piece Bearing Race and Seal Driver Set

image_21572.jpg

Thanks for the response Earico. Seems like I gotta pry it out slowly with a large screwdriver.

Gotta thank you again cuz I'm making a bracket after you started that thread about the shifter being to forward:beer:
A966C0DC-4EFC-4B03-BD0A-3216DD3CB4BC-2338-000000AC8D338D36.gif

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Thanks for the response Earico. Seems like I gotta pry it out slowly with a large screwdriver.

Gotta thank you again cuz I'm making a bracket after you started that thread about the shifter being to forward:beer:
You're welcome! :beer:

I just stuck the screwdriver in and pried around in a circular fashion til I got it out. You aren't really worried about damaging the seal since it's trash anyway. Just be careful not to gouge up the aluminum housing.

What seals do you recommend to use? Original ford?
Yes OEM. I ordered mine from Tousley. I also did the axle bearings while I was there too. They are only $10 each for the OEM Timkens.

Users who are viewing this thread