Why can't Ford just tell us !?!

TO_04Cobra

Established Member
I'm in "The DBK's" corner - I believe the future Cobra will happen and be a great car.

For what it is worth, I went to a dealer launch party in Toronto for all the new Ford vehicles including the Mustang (nice looking car by the way, I really like it - dealer had a nice black GT with the red leather seats and chrome dash upgrade... really nice interior and overall look to the car - I think they will sell very well). I got into a lengthy discussion with an older sales manager who was an obvious enthusiast (knew everything about the Cobra and said he owned a late 60's Shelby). He saw me pull up in the 04 Cobra and told me that, "I should wait for 2006 for the new Cobra" (if I was considering the 05). I asked him for the skinny on all he knew and given his knowledge of the Cobra and his interest in the Mustang from an enthusiast perspective I give his comments considerable merit. He stated:

1) 06/07 Cobra = 4.6 cast iron block (same as 04),
2) supercharged with a smaller version of the 6-71 blower,
3) brembo brakes, 18" wheels,
4) power = rated at 450hp (conservative),
5) Saleen "E" version = 500hp (they are a Saleen dealer as well).

He said wait for it, it will be real nice....

03CobraBro

Established Member
I'm more or less just interested in how it looks then how it will perform. I have no doubt it will surpass the 03/04 in every area, but unless were talking about a substantial difference then performance really isnt a huge issue with me.. So the way the car looks is going to be the deal maker or breaker.

I just want to see what the darn thing looks like, I'm not even asking for technical data.

TO_04Cobra

Established Member
I agree, looks will be important. The way the 2005 GT looks right now is real nice! The Cobra, if done right has the potential to be a real looker and performer...

I am interested in what they will do with the price and production numbers given the high number of unsold 03/04 Cobras. Given that the 05 GT is a few 100 bucks cheaper than the old one, they should keep the 06/07 Cobra similar to the 04 (however, price may have been an issue on the 04??? thus a drop in price maybe???)

If production numbers are lower, then a high price would be doable with higher demand... but if the 05 GT is hugely successful maybe the Cobra production numbers will be high???

I got such a great deal on the 04 though, that it would be foolish to trade in and pay full MSRP for the new model. Guys like me may reduce demand/price...

Either way, can't wait to see the thing! :)

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
TO_04Cobra said:
...I am interested in what they will do with the price and production numbers given the high number of unsold 03/04 Cobras. Given that the 05 GT is a few 100 bucks cheaper than the old one, they should keep the 06/07 Cobra similar to the 04 (however, price may have been an issue on the 04??? thus a drop in price maybe???)
If production numbers are lower, then a high price would be doable with higher demand... but if the 05 GT is hugely successful maybe the Cobra production numbers will be high???
I got such a great deal on the 04 though, that it would be foolish to trade in and pay full MSRP for the new model. Guys like me may reduce demand/price...QUOTE]

I think unsold Cobras occurred for 2 reasons:

1) Dealer porkage. Some were asking $10K over sticker. They got what they asked for: Cobras they can't get rid of;

2) The new Mustang release. Some are waiting for a new Cobra, and delayed their purchases.

My bet is that we could end up paying $4K-$5K more for this one. I have heard from a few sources (a few times) that this will have a twin-screw 5.4 under the hood. If this is correct, then $4K-$5K more is not a bad deal. How many will they make? Who knows...

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
SVT has a lot of possibilites with the car. There are multiple engine choices, and a new motor in the works as well. The car can hit quite a few different price points easilly($35,000-$50,000). I just dont think they know how far they are going to go with it. Not to mention SVT is still trying to figure out how Shelby 'fits in' in the line up. There has been some infighting in the brand line as to who does what and at what price point in regards to a 'light' SE, shelby, and SVT. There are going to be quite a few Mustang variations.

Whiskey City

Established Member
One of the main reasons I bought a used '03 was so I could wait out the dealer mark up on the '07. I do plan on purchasing the '07 SVT but I'm not in a huge hurry. I've already got a 500hp car so there's no rush for me :coolman:

Whiskey City

Established Member
crispy23c said:
Whiskey, you are lucky that way! :-D
I, on the other hand, have plans to buy the new svt as soon as available, so long as I can do it without dealer porkage. I Need this thing!

I don't know if it's luck or total lack of self control. Remember, I was KLN TME TIL 07...until I drove this monster '03. I was no longer able to hold out and had to have it NOW!!! After the '07 comes out, I may not be able to wait out the dealer porkage. Hopefully, by the grace of God and continual threats of a sexless marriage by my wife, I can make it.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
You Lucky Bastard!!! You got to say "Wife" and "Sex" in the same sentence!!! :p

I have been (so far) successful in holding out, even with the sweet, sweet deals on the '04s (in Racer X Voice): .....must.....hold.......out.....

Users who are viewing this thread