why is a new clutch needed???

SVT0369

#1798 of 1896
Established Member
Maybe I'm over thinking this but I'll ask anyways. When swapping to a KB or Whipple or turbo for that matter, why is a new clutch needed? I mean the extra hp comes from the blower not the engine so it's not always there right? Only when you're into boost correct? So if you're not drag racing all the time why would an aftermarket clutch be needed? :shrug:

SVT0369

#1798 of 1896
Established Member
WHITESVTCOBRA said:
because adding more horsepower puts more strain on the clutch and you need a beefier clutch to handle the horsepower/tq
That still doesn't answer the question. If you're not in boost when you shift then what does it matter?

Now if you're driving around power shifting all the time I can see it.

p.s. - I did mention that I'm probably over thinking this.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
SVT0369 said:
That still doesn't answer the question. If you're not in boost when you shift then what does it matter?

Now if you're driving around power shifting all the time I can see it.

The question..is why do you have a KB or want one?....when you say the anwser then I will tell you why you need a better clutch-Shane

SVT0369

#1798 of 1896
Established Member
mysticsvt said:
The question..is why do you have a KB or want one?....when you say the anwser then I will tell you why you need a better clutch-Shane

I don't have nor do I want a KB. I will eventually get a turbo setup though.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
SVT0369 said:
I don't have nor do I want a KB. I will eventually get a turbo setup though.
Well......once you get that turbo on, go on out and take a little spirited test drive and let us know if you think you need to upgrade that OEM clutch.;-)

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
IronTerp said:
Well......once you get that turbo on, go on out and take a little spirited test drive and let us know if you think you need to upgrade that OEM clutch.;-)

Stock will be fine, he isnt gonna get on it:burnout:

SVT0369

#1798 of 1896
Established Member
IronTerp said:
Still not an answer. Ok let me show you why I'm thinking this. I let the clutch out at a stop light. No matter if I have 400 BOOSTED hp or 700 BOOSTED hp what does it matter as far as the clutch for normal driving?

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Normal driving , no it won't matter. But the concern would be when it is putting out full power modified.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Its just worth it so the one time you try to have some fun you aren't left looking like a little girl.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Alright.........."You want the truth?????? You can't handle the truth!!!" (What movie?).

If you ARE NOT going to shift aggressively, you do not NEED to upgrade your stock clutch!!! Happy???

I know this is probably a hypothetical question SVT0369, and you've already admitted that you're overthinking this, but why in the world would you put a twin screw or turbo on your Cobra if you do not want to drive it aggressively at least a leedle bit?????

Users who are viewing this thread