Will just one o2 sensor work?

shacar87

Established Member
I have a bad o2 sensor. Was wondering if i just unplug that one, will the computer detect that one's not working, and just use the good one for it's needed readings? Or does it need to read that bank seperately? Thanks for any input!

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
No. You'll still run rich, have a goofy idle, etc...Having a bad one is like not having one.

I need to replace one of mine too. Pieces of shit.

jimh

Established Member
The EEC reads all 4 separately. Your check engine light will come on and the car won't run right, especially if it's one of the primary, pre-cat, sensors.

shacar87

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was pretty sure this was the case, but i just wanted some second oppinions. I knew something was wrong because everytime i start it (when it's cold) lately, it goes into it's normal high rev, then kicks down real (too) low to the point that it almost shuts off - sputters! Plus the air/fuel gauge has started acting real screwy. Thanks again!

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
yeah, my idle fluctuates real bad. Mine's an 87' that's been M/A converted. Back when it was speed density, the idle would fluctuate for a couple minutes and eventually it would die. With the mass air, it stays running but fluctuates still. And even worse with the A/C on.

shacar87

Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
yeah, my idle fluctuates real bad. Mine's an 87' that's been M/A converted. Back when it was speed density, the idle would fluctuate for a couple minutes and eventually it would die. With the mass air, it stays running but fluctuates still. And even worse with the A/C on.

Replaced the o2 today, and she's fine now.

As for yours, are you sure it's the o2 sensor? Have you checked other possibilities like: vacuum leak / dirty idle air control / or have you reset the computer by the Ford recommended step-by-step process...the proper one where if you don't do, or mess up any step, it WON'T reset the idle perameters properly?

You may already know about this, but a little trick i learned was one that most people never even think of, as me and many other people i went to didn't, and that is the PCV valve is allowing too much flow. I have a built AOD in mine, and when i changed heads, cam, and intake, it started stalling as soon as i put it in gear, and if it did stay running, it surged alot! Checked everything trying to figure it out, but couldn't find anything. Finally i talked to an old school mechanic, and he told me to put a more restrictive PCV in it. He said that sometimes a H/C and intake swap (he said he's seen it with even just an intake swap) will up the velocity (vacuum) in the intake, thus pulling more air through the PCV and basically turning it into a vacuum leak...long story short, it worked, and haven't had a problem since! Just be sure if you do that you replace the stock oil fill cap with a breather type if not already done.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I had it hooked up at my work yesterday. It's atually a combination of two things. I have a small exhaust leak from when I switched my headers. I can't get it out, everything is as tight as it will go. Anway, the O2 sensor is either bad or is getting too much cold air from that exhaust leak. Second, I needed to clean the EGR valve out. I'm cleaning the EGR valve out this weekend. Maybe that will help. As for the exhaust leak, it's leaking at the header/x-pipe connector so I'm not worried about it messing anything up with the motor. I'll probably just ignore it(even though I hate to) until I get longtubes.

Users who are viewing this thread