Winter Tires vs Beater

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I just priced out a set of 245/45HR17 Dunlop Winter Sports M2 tires on 98 Cobra SVT Rims -- comes to over $1250. I'm thinking it might be cheaper to buy a beater car for the same amount, and keep the Cobra away from the salt and crazy drivers. What are you guys in Northern climates doing?

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by harry gilbert
I just priced out a set of 245/45HR17 Dunlop Winter Sports M2 tires on 98 Cobra SVT Rims -- comes to over $1250. I'm thinking it might be cheaper to buy a beater car for the same amount, and keep the Cobra away from the salt and crazy drivers. What are you guys in Northern climates doing?

Dont drive your cobra in the winter if you dont have to! 400RWHP in the snow? I just bought a winter beater, if I hadnt dont that, I would rather walk then drive the cobra in the snow/salt.

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Get the beater... I'm not even worried about the the snow/salt - I would still constantly be cleaning my car... my concern is that in really bad weather - snow/ice/heavy rain, I don't want someone else sliding into me and trashing my cobra... I trust myself (I've driven cars like this in the winter before) - I just don't trust others... If someone is going to hit me, I'd rather that they trash the car I paid a grand or two for, than the brand new one I just paid 35 grand for!

Besides, then you can also get one of those bumper stickers that says something like "My other car will kick your ass"...

hoodedsnake

Established Member
If you avoid wrecking the car due to the snow/ice, you are still gonna be pissed three or four years from now when the salt they use on the roads around here starts to make it's presence known.

Park that baby!!

I keep a '89 Taurus for just the reasons you are concerned about and just picked up the '02 Focus for "nice" winter days, with a set of 16" wheels and Blizzaks I may not drive the old Taurus much this winter. We'll see how she does?

PS. If you do park it this winter wait for two or three strong rains next spring before you bring her out of hibernation. The salt takes quite a while to wash off the roads as I'm sure you have noticed and a wet spring salt covered road is terrible for leaving salt deposits everywhere. That or move up north where they use mostly sand instead of salt, wish I could afford that! Nicer roads also!

1IDSPTTR

Established Member
Other option

You could always move to the sunny South. It has it's benefits...
;-) :beer:

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
This is my third Cobra and I finally am going with a beater. Only gonna use it when there is snow. I will still drive it when the roads are clear. The other two Cobras ran well in the snow with fresh snow tires and TC on.

Users who are viewing this thread