wiring 01 cobra tail lights

sam23

I bought a pair of 99-01 cobra tail lights and the stereo shop that's installing them told me to get the amber turn signals to blink i would have to rewire my car from the front to back. Is there an easier way to do this?

The salesperson who sold me the lights at www.50resto.com for over $300 told me that they had wiring harnesses that would plug right in. After i received them and found out the problem they told me that there must have been some sort of "miscommunication" because they only plug right in to a 99-01 cobra.

Matt M PA

Established Member
Okay….can’t give you all the answers…but can get you on your way. I recently installed a set of older Econoline tail lights with the amber turn sigs on my Excursion.

I think you also need a special flasher as well, but if you can wire it the way I have shown below…I’d bet it’s not needed. I am guessing at this, but it is working in my Excursion…I cannot see why it would not work on a Mustang. Your mileage may vary…be careful.

First, you need to be acquainted with the tail light circuit. At your tail lights there is a two filament bulb and socket. On this, you will see a “minor” circuit that is for your parking lights. The “major” side handles the brake and turn sigs. And of course, a ground. The sockets are marked.

On my Ex, I cut the original “major” side wire, and then attached this to the new turn sig socket. A new ground was also put in for the new turn sigs.

I then ran a new brake light feed from my CHMSL to both tail lights “major” side that was previously cut.

Here’s where it gets tricky. Your brake pedal switch handles the on and off for the CHMSL, brake lights, etc. You need to find out which wire feeds the brake light circuit only….on my Ex, it was a green wire on the column. This signal needs to be stopped or your turns sigs will light up with the brake lights.

Good luck.

32V SVT

Established Member
Hey showle02,
Did you have any luck in getting your wiring for this straightened out???

I have a set of rear wiring harnesses for the tail lights of a 99 Cobra,
and planned on buying the lenses next, then run down the flasher and
figure out what to do about the wiring...

How far have you come so far???

I know KarKraft has a conversion Kit, but they pissed me off so bad when they
refused to ship me my order to my work instead of leaving my parts

unsecured on my doorstep at home, I decided not to deal with them... :cuss:
Long story...

Anyway, I'm looking for a set of instructions from their kit if anyone has a set...

sam23

i have those instructions from mustangworld.com, but i have them installed without the bottom blinkers working. The rest of light flashes

MARK01COBRA

ummm... Hi!
Established Member
has anyone else done this mod? i got a mach 1 instead of a cobra but i have the cobra tails and i want to put them on. thnks.

Users who are viewing this thread