Wiring help!

50noslo

Established Member
btw this car is an 89 lx 5.0
so my battery died the other day and i went to replace the batter and all of a sudden smoke started comming off the black thing on the driver side where the positive battery cable connects. so i investigate further to find that the green wire is melted ( 1 sall green and 1 larger green that connect together) so i spliced them and hooked new wires up. how ever the car still wont start and blows the radio fuze every time i try to start the car. (the car wont even turn over)

any help would be great-thanks

89notcher

droppin bombs
Established Member
I'm assuming the "black thing" you're referring to is the starter relay. It sounds almost like you've got a short somewhere and that may have blown (melted) a factory inline fuse. Is your radio factory installed; and, if not, how long ago was it installed? Have you messed with anything electrical anywhere on the car recently? Did you take any wires off the starter relay when you were fixing the melted wires? And (I gotta ask) did you hook up the positive and negative battery cables correctly?

I'll look at my Hayne's manual tonight and hit you back tomorrow.

50noslo

Established Member
well the battery cables where bad (all messed up from years of abuse). and when i hooked up the positive side it sparked like hell and then the green wires on the started relay melted and smoked. so i spliced the green wires and hooked all the wires back up 2 day and it still wont turn over, and blows stereo fuses. the stereo is all after market and iv never had problems with it befor.

50noslo

Established Member
also i unhooked all the wires that are held together with the one bolt, i dunno if they have to go on in a certain order. and as for the battery, i hooked the negative up first and then the positive (wires smoked). so then i hooded up the positive and then the negitive (wires smoked more).

Users who are viewing this thread