Wondering about the durability of the coyote engine?? Read this.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
From this amazing and HUGE article all about the coyote from development to production.

2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Coyote Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords All Pages

Besides meeting the performance goals the Coyote had to pass all of Ford's standard durability tests. These dyno sessions are incredibly brutal, always far exceeding what any rational customer would do to his engine, and occasionally surpassing what is physically possible in a car.

We observed some of this internal combustion water-boarding, and for anyone with a foot-pound of mechanical sympathy it isn't pretty. Engines run fatigue cycles equivalent to 62 Daytona 500 races. Others replicate customer drive cycles for 1,000 running hours to include 1,000 cold starts, plus hitting its peak torque and power for sustained periods. That test alone runs 100 hours a week for two and a half months.

We witnessed another torture session where the engine was run at WOT for several minutes, the headers glowing just a hint of red, then the engine shut off and after several seconds of sitting, -20 degree ice water was forced through the cooling system. Frost formed on the test rig as the engine was about frozen to death, then the ice water stopped, the engine started and after a handful of seconds idling was taken back to max rpm, max load for another heat cycle up to 225 degrees. Each complete cycle takes about 10 minutes, and the engine must survive days of these non-stop thermal shocks.

Most incredibly, "It can't be on its last legs at the end of the test," says Mike. "It can't be that it hasn't seized yet, we need to see crosshatching on the cylinders, no full-face ring wear, leak down needs to be below, oh, eight percent; it has to be very, very functional and could go do it again, quite frankly."

Be assured, this is one team, and engine, that has gone the extra mile to produce a no-excuses Mustang V-8.

Last edited:

87hatchy

Established Member
That's badass. I remember reading about the torture tests the 03/04 cobra engines went through in the book Iron First, Lead Foot and I was very surprised and gained even more respect for the engine than I already had. I don't remember the specifics of the terminator engine torture tests, but I think the coyote tests described here are even more brutal. 5.BROs unite! :rockon:

Last edited:

GT915

Established Member
But yet the general public manages to blow them up at will!!

I was thinking the same thing. Amazing that it'll stand up to that kind of torture for hours on end but throw the wrong tune on it and the ole number 8 is gone in a flash. You can bet that test motor had good fuel and not the shit that gets passed off to us as premium.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Realistically though a bad tune will hurt any motor.

This is the right answer. I've seen $20k forged motors go boom in a big way from detonation. But given the right tune and fuel the coyote is an awesome platform.

DrTriton

Established Member
Engine durability testing is standard issue for any of the OEM's.

Nothing like seeing a motor at full song, exhaust glowing red hot for hours on end!

Users who are viewing this thread