Won't switch from defroster to vents on dash.

PPFProFitter

Established Member
1994 Mustang GT Vert. Manual trans.

Hey guys, you have helped me with the vert. top and my keyless entry issues. I have a new question.

My air vent is stuck on the defroster/floor setting. It won't switch to the vents on the dash and summer here in FL is coming. I need the A/C to work or this car is gonna kill me. The A/C still blows cold air but only to the defroster/floor vents.

What is the name of the part that I need to replace to get the trap to switch back and forth between the two settings again? Is it a motor or maybe a fuse? Has anyone had this problem before? I looked at the local salvage yard but these parts of the dash seem to always be missing. I am guessing this is a common problem.

98z71

Established Member
sounds to me like you have a loose vaccum line. Check all hoses under hood, them theres one where your heater core goes into the fire wall. there should be a vaccum hose there. If not that one its prolly in the dash behind glove box.

Last edited:

PPFProFitter

Established Member
Hey thanks 98.

I was looking at the bigger hoses, and then I noticed a tiny one that was fixed to one of the big ones that seemed kinda loose. It was just broken at the very end where it goes into the rubber sleeve. I took the small broken piece out of the sleeve and plugged the plastic hose back into the sleeve and it worked right away.

Saved me needless labor at a shop.

I really appreciate it.

Let me know if I can ever hook you up with some paint protection film or something.

Users who are viewing this thread