Wrapping/Painting Section of Hood

MustangMinister

Established Member
Like the title says, I want to preferably wrap a section of my hood. But im not sure how? I understand wrappping the whole thing but I have not idea how one does just a sections.

Mach1 Registry has a section over it but no one explains how to do it.
Center section of mach hood painted...Post em up! - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

I've also stolen some of your pictures to ask specific people how they did this. I dont want to paint. Looking to do matte black on my gloss black mach 1.

Here is what im going for.
IMAG0111_zps82db3539.jpg

IMG_4034s3_zps03e5f89b.jpg

File0051small_zps2d5e99c2.jpg

Any help or how to's would be helpful. Plus help with what size wrap to get would also be helpful.

Thanks fellow mach 1'ers

sdg97232

Established Member
The top hood is a full carbon fiber hood with the outer sections painted AB and the center left "raw" the next two are painted wide stripes. To replicate that look with wrap will take a steady hand and precise measurements, I wouldn't trim the viynal on the car I wouldn't want to risk cutting into the clear. The easiest and safest thing to do is just have a pro paint the stripe.

Last edited:

troymach1one

Established Member
Had mine professionally painted, only $300 bucks, probably got a good deal since my wife and daughter's cars frequent the autobody shop.

vadermach

Established Member
The hoods I've seen professionally painted seem to turn out more semigloss black than flat black. They still have a sheen to them. I wanted mine a true flat black with no shine at all. It actually does function by ensuring no glare comes off the hood into the windshield and obstructing vision. I did not think it was a big deal until after I drove it on a sunny day. It makes a huge difference on black cars imho.

4v_mach1

Established Member
i guess i could plasti dip it myself, but want it to be a bit more permanent

You can always have a professional install a vinyl wrap that can be easily removed. I got quoted $80 to do the top half of my car black and If I wanted the hood done like the pics above it would probably be another $35-40.

vadermach

Established Member
I did not use plastidip. I used a mix of paints to get the color and matte I wanted. I used a ceramic matte black engine enamel and dupli-color black bumper coating. It took some time but it was not difficult. Sanded the hood with varying grits of sand paper down to 1200. Then sprayed. Been on for a year now with no noticeable fading or discoloring. I even did it all with the hood still on the car.

I used the same color for the Roush front valence and the steeda wing on my car. I really like how the matte black worked with the factory gloss black.

Last edited:

mustanginky

Established Member
i plasti dipped mine with the intentions of painting it later on, but one year later i've still not found the time to mess with it. i'll probably do it next year, or i'll say and end up waiting another year lol.

Users who are viewing this thread