WTF? Need brakes after only 6,000 miles!!!

CWCobra

Established Member
Lots o' squealing going on when I apply brakes, so I check to see...yup, need new rear brake pads. Only 6,000 miles. Highway driving only. No auto cross, no nothing. It's a commuter car, for crying out loud! Well....maybe one or two mountain road trips with some spirited driving. Anybody else get more than 6,000 miles on factory pads? Any recommendations for replacement pads other than Motorcraft?
Thanks,
CW

Lobo

Established Member
Wow

I just hit 15300 miles and the brakes are still holding up just fine, and I do abuse them quite a bit during every day driving.

Lobo

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by CWCobra
Lots o' squealing going on when I apply brakes, so I check to see...yup, need new rear brake pads. Only 6,000 miles. Highway driving only. No auto cross, no nothing. It's a commuter car, for crying out loud! Well....maybe one or two mountain road trips with some spirited driving. Anybody else get more than 6,000 miles on factory pads? Any recommendations for replacement pads other than Motorcraft?
Thanks,
CW

Sounds like you have something sticking or hanging up. I would get it looked at. (or do it yourself if ya don't want a dealer to).

What do the front pads look like? You should wear two sets of fronts out to a set of rears.

Good luck. :beer:

Brian

hwystr

Established Member
I agree, rear brakes usually last forever...

Your not leaving the parking brake on are you - maybe its not releasing all the way. I think it auto-adjusts (tighter) when you go into reverse - not sure.
:read:

SC457A

Established Member
were the pads worn evenly on both outside and inside, and right to left sides of the car? if not could be caliper sticking of p-brake issues or slide pins seized up.. trac control?

on mustangs rear disc adjust with p-brake application and caliper use... if pedal feels low i just pull p-brake and push pedal and release a few times...

you dont ride brakes do you? amazing how many people do that.. but with 6-spd not that common.

super sonic

Established Member
I only have 4800 miles and my brakes sound terrible and have for a couple of months. Will take it in next week to get it looked @ and take the service advisor for a ride on the highway so he can feel the horrible vibe.

luvMy2003SVT

Established Member
If the rotors haven't turned a bluish/yellow then your brakes have NOT been sticking and it is more than likely defective pads.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
My rear pads are down to 5mm after 9300mi. Next checkup = new brakes. Seems kind of soon but gotta love the premium care warranty. Dealership alredy said they'll do all 4 brakes for free. :thumbsup:

Brad

Banned
Re: Wow

Originally posted by Lobo
I just hit 15300 miles and the brakes are still holding up just fine, and I do abuse them quite a bit during every day driving.

Lobo

How in gods name is it possible to have put 15k on an 03 already? I drive mine alot and still have not cracked 5000:shrug:

CWCobra

Established Member
I appreciate all the comments, but, and please don't take this the wrong way, if you don't own an '03 Cobra, you haven't had a chance to have a first hand experience with the brakes. Rears wear faster. Different composites on the pads. Brake dust all over the damn place on the rears; fronts can be clean as a whistle! Have to wash my rear wheels daily to keep brake dust cleaned off. Been that way since start. Very common with the '03. I've had two other Cobras, and also have a Lightning, and this is peculiar to the '03 Cobra only. Ask around: it's an '03-only deal. Doesn't make it any better to have to buy brakes after only 6,000 miles, though..." brake pads are not a warranted part"...
Later,
CW

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I think the rear brake compound has high carbon deposits in it. Mine were very black when I changed them over to Raybestos pads. The Raybestos pads don't stop the car well but keep the dusting down to a minimum. The Cobra factory pads are soft and stop the car well.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
brake pads are not a warranted part"...
Later,
CW

They are if you paid for the premium care esp and maintenance warranty. Oil changes, brakes, Clutch etc. all covered 100% till 75Kmi.

ChrisFLL

Established Member
I appreciate all the comments, but, and please don't take this the wrong way, if you don't own an '03 Cobra, you haven't had a chance to have a first hand experience with the brakes. Rears wear faster. Different composites on the pads. Brake dust all over the damn place on the rears; fronts can be clean as a whistle! Have to wash my rear wheels daily to keep brake dust cleaned off. Been that way since start. Very common with the '03. I've had two other Cobras, and also have a Lightning, and this is peculiar to the '03 Cobra only. Ask around: it's an '03-only deal. Doesn't make it any better to have to buy brakes after only 6,000 miles, though..." brake pads are not a warranted part"...
Later,
CW

You're right, my rears are wearing pretty quick. I think the traction control system is coming into play here. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread