X Pipe worth it on stock mustang + tune?

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Hey Guys,

Just going through my parts list and doing research.

Was about to order a Offroad X, CAI + Tuner for my otherwise stock engine + Roush A/B combo

However after talking with everyone i think I am ditching the CAI since the stocker performs well. So my next question is...besides making the car significantly louder, is there any horsepower gains to be had over the stock pipe vs offroad x with a tune?

The car is plenty loud with the Roush A/B and if its a neglagible HP gain then it might not be worth it.

Badbob2121

ЯTR #054
Established Member
I would recomend removing the cats for sure. Its a cheap modification in regards to other NA power mods and the sound is great. I am stock aside from the ORX pipe, GT500 mufflers, and a LUND Tune.

I would avoid Lethal's ORX Pipe though. Fitment was garbage and if you compare designs with other manufacturers you will notice the shit flange/placement of the flange on the driver side pipe.

JTS_7

Established Member
^ maybe you got a bad one. Mine for like a glove, which is the general consensus from other members also.

I would not run a orx with roush ab. My neighbor has it and it's insanely loud and sounds like shit. Gt500 or kooks with and orx is much better.

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
^ maybe you got a bad one. Mine for like a glove, which is the general consensus from other members also.

I would not run a orx with roush ab. My neighbor has it and it's insanely loud and sounds like shit. Gt500 or kooks with and orx is much better.

Ya I hear that, I am not a huge fan of the insane raspiness, so I will probably switch to GT500's when i do the o/r x.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
An ORX|H and tune are really the best bang for the buck as far as NA bolt-ons. I have a JBA ORX, resonator deletes and GT500 quad setup, sounds pretty good. I would recommend staying away from JBA X-pipe, fitment is shit, it gets very close to the transmission cross member on the drivers side. I had to clearance it with a BFH and grinder, was getting false knock.

Badbob2121

ЯTR #054
Established Member
I would recommend staying away from JBA X-pipe, fitment is shit, it gets very close to the transmission cross member on the drivers side. I had to clearance it with a BFH and grinder, was getting false knock.

Same exact issue I had with Lethal's ORX Pipe.

Actually I am loving the sound of the Kooks Sports....probably gonna order those today...along with a Pypes o/r x.

Good choice on the Pypes ORX, it is what I switched to after Lethal's garbage. Much better flange design and its easier to install by yourself.

captain slow5.0

Established Member
Worth it just for sound. I have the lethal x and gt500. Sounds great. quiet when you need it, but loud when you hit the gas pedal.

The lethal fitment was fine for me. The extra connection on the driver side is a bit weird, but I did the install by myself on jack stands. The only problem was a small pin hole in on of the X welds. Took it down the street to a shop and gave the dude $10 to lay a quick and small bead over it.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Same exact issue I had with Lethal's ORX Pipe.

Good choice on the Pypes ORX, it is what I switched to after Lethal's garbage. Much better flange design and its easier to install by yourself.

I might have to try that pypes ORX, not very happy with the JBA and I doubt I will ever run longtubes, just want a good fitting x-pipe.

50HHHHH

Established Member
I just put on my Pypes off road X paired with my Roush Axlebacks and nothing but good things to say about it. I went to Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit last Saturday and got a lot of compliments and people wondering what exhaust was on the car. The car absolutely screams once you hit the power band. Highly recommend it! If you are on the fence, go for it!

Last edited:

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I have the Ford Racing X, and I got a spare set of cats from someone who removed them and gutted them. The gutted cats increased the sound a bit, more at open throttle than idle. I had read about the "raspy" sounds from the X but I just don't hear it that way. I never liked Magnaflow mufflers as they always sounded raspy to me. I now have hollow stock cats, Ford X, Flowmaster A/B and while it's pretty loud when you open it up, it just has a nice growl at idle. The only bad (if you see it that way) side effect is the drone at 75MPH. But that is solved with a little more radio volume. I'm not a quad tip proponent. Quite frankly I don't care for the quad tip look, and most of the time I think the GT500 mufflers are absurdly overpriced even used. If you watch ebay for a couple weeks, American Muscle has an ebay account where they sell open box stuff and returns. I got my Ford X pipe for $112 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread