X3 handheld tuners????owners or tuners

Reis racing

Established Member
Ok I bought my gt500 with the x3 tuner and steeda pulley and JLT cai. I never played with these handhelds before. The owner said it had a 91 octain tune it for normal driving. I plugged it in and it showed stock tune, strategy tune and custom tune. Strategy poped up first. What does these tune mean?

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
You probably have stock and custom tunes. Go to the INSTALL TUNE option and see what is there. Be sure to back things up if you don't have the original files using the SCT Device Updater program you can get on the SCT web site.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Strategy Tune is a tune (s) that would be factory loaded onto a handheld from SCT. If you choose that option, chances are that nothing will be listed. Try CUSTOM and you'll likely find a tune or two. Provided that this is the tuner that was used on this car.... The stock tune is stored in the memory of the device. It does not take one of the available slots.

Bj

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Reis racing

Established Member
It doesn't let me look in the strategy tune. Can I just go to a local shop and let them load a custom tune onto it?

VNMOUS1

Established Member
It doesn't let me look in the strategy tune. Can I just go to a local shop and let them load a custom tune onto it?

Not under Strategy Tune, but under any of the others. The problem is that you don't have the initial custom tune files anywhere other than on the handheld. You will lose them when your local person overwrites them. If your local person is better than what's on the handheld, just flash the car back to stock and let 'em tune away.

They DO have to have SCT tuning software and a current licensing agreement. Make sure before they mess with anything.

Depending on who your local person is I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that there nationally known and respected tuners available who VERY likely have a LOT more successful experience with these cars.

But, perhaps you're lucky enough to have a pro in the neighborhood.

Let me know if we can help you in any way.

Bj

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S3, not an "i" anything.

Reis racing

Established Member
There are 2 places Tasca mod shop and Karl's east coast speed, I looked on the handheald and seen performance dyno and phone # I'm guessing that's where he bought and tuned it.

Is there a way to tell what tune is in the car now? When I bought the car the guy said I could run 91octain. I'm guessing the strategy tune is the 91 tune and the custom tune is 93 race tune?

lawdude

Established Member
Upload the custom tune. If it was already in the PCM, it'll load without downloading the stock tune to your X3. If it downloads the stock tune to your X3 prior to uploading, you'll know the stock tune was in the PCM.

Here's the manual for the X3:

http://www.sctflash.com/PDF/X3_SF3Manual.pdf

You should also update the firmware in you X3. Before you do that, make sure you load the stock tune back in the PCM. After updating you can load your custom tune back in.

You'll need the software on your laptop to update your X3. Go to http://www.sctflash.com/tsupdates.php?PNID=3000&GUD=1&GSER=1 and enter your serial number. You should be able to download the updater software to your laptop. You can then plug in your tuner via usb to your laptop and update. If you're going to update your firmware (recommended) make sure you have the stock tune in the PCM first.

Last edited:

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
I would make sure the JLT CAI tune on the device... you know the octane its meant for?

I had my local tuner send me a custom tune for my x3, one for 94 (we get it here :p) and one for 91 where 94 is harder to find.

The programmer however is quick and easy to use with a laptop or desktop, good pick.

If you get a shop to make a tune for you, make sure you have the "strategy number" that you get OFF THE DEVICE through its software. And you will need your serial number which also I recommend getting off the device and not the sticker on the back.

Users who are viewing this thread