Yet Another Comparison Thread - Appoligies in Advance!

Ithnu

Established Member
Hi folks, its been well over a year since I posted...anyway...I'm looking at adding a 2nd Mustang to my garage (my 1st is a 1993 Cobra). I've counted out several already, 2 in person and 2 with some online digging. I haven't gotten to the point of a test drive yet. I know these are different cars but both can be a lot of fun. The car will only see a few thousand miles a year. A few track days with some friends, no real racing. Most miles will be country roads or just cruising. I plan to leave them mostly stock as they are now. But mild upgrades to make up the gap compared to the other is on the table; i.e. some more power (not a blower) for the Boss or suspension upgrades for the GT500.

I've narrowed it down to one of each. I'm going to see/drive them both this Sunday.

2013 Boss 302
2011 GT500 *Performance Package

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

sleek98

Established Member
I have a 2012 GT500 with the PP and my neighbor has a 2012 Boss 302. The extra 100 HP is a huge difference, not to mention the torque.

Put a tune and pulley on the GT500 and your light years ahead of the Boss. Right now in my area 500's are not much more than Boss'. I got mine for 40,750 my neighbor paid 38 for his.

Vi_king500

Established Member
I have owned a 12' Boss 302, and now I have a 12' GT500, the GT500 (to me) is so so so much better then the boss was. But both are awesome cars! If you love to cruise back roads and not really do heavy mods then maybe the boss would be better

Ithnu

Established Member
And I forgot to add, they are within a few thousand. I'm not worried about price difference.

Last edited:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
You cannot go wrong with either.:beer:

Cole Trickle

I'm going through the same thing myself.....

I'm still 10 months away from being in the market for either a 11-12 GT500 or a 2013 Boss. (if 2013 GT500's get to 45K in the next year I might go that route)

Everyone that drives and reviews the boss seems to like the feel of the car and the handling over the GT500. If I do the Boss I would be adding a procharger.

Personally I think the GT500's will hold there value a little better down the road because of the Shelby name and I like the interior with the leather and navigation better. I am buying this as a part time daily driver/toy and have no intentions of loosing my rear if I decide to sell it two years later.

The Shelby also seems to be somewhat bullet proof and I have read of transmission issues with the Boss.

Hard to go wrong with either..4 weeks ago I was thinking Shelby , two weeks ago boss and now I'm back on the Shelby...lol

Let us know what you think after you drive them both.

Ithnu

Established Member
Hard to go wrong with either..4 weeks ago I was thinking Shelby , two weeks ago boss and now I'm back on the Shelby...lol

Let us know what you think after you drive them both.

Same here. And I'll drive them both on the same day, so I will definitely report back.

Ithnu

Established Member
I drove the Boss, amazing sound! But the day ran late and it began to snow so I didn't get to drive the GT500. Not a huge reason but when I hear the engine rev the supercharger noise just doesn't do it for me. And I like the high rpm limit of the Boss. The engine revving high while feeling solid in a corner, I'm sold. So I'm going with the Boss.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I drove the Boss, amazing sound! But the day ran late and it began to snow so I didn't get to drive the GT500. Not a huge reason but when I hear the engine rev the supercharger noise just doesn't do it for me. And I like the high rpm limit of the Boss. The engine revving high while feeling solid in a corner, I'm sold. So I'm going with the Boss.

Just remember this; it's cheaper to make a GT500 handle like a Boss (no pun intended) than it is to make a Boss as powerful as a GT500.

Oh! And pix of the '93 Cobra or GTFO!

Ithnu

Established Member
Here's the 1993. Only mods are subframe connectors, 3:55 gears and Dynomax cat back system. Engine is 100% stock, original paint and just over 70k miles.

Cobra1.JPG

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Here's the 1993. Only mods are subframe connectors, 3:55 gears and Dynomax cat back system. Engine is 100% stock, original paint and just over 70k miles.

Nice! Looks fantastic. Even looks like it has the same kind of tires it left the factory with.

Ithnu

Established Member
Nice! Looks fantastic. Even looks like it has the same kind of tires it left the factory with.

Thanks, I had a 1986 5.0 in high school and always drooled over this car. Not really fast anymore; I've raced a few folks on streets/hwy with mixed results. Mostly positive but that's because it seems like like V6s and low end tuners always want to take a shot. But now I just cruise in it.

The tires are Bridgestone Potenzas. The wheels in the pic are backwards, not sure why the other owner did that or why I left them backwards for 2 years, but I had them flipped around shortly after this pic last summer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread