Yet another problem after my tune

Modular Madness

Established Member
I just had my truck tuned with my 6lb pulley last friday. It ran fine on the dyno and the day after I got it home and off my trailer. I took it out tonight since it was nice out (50 degrees) and from 3/4 throttle to full throttle it cuts out and misses really bad. I'm going to check my plugs. Any other suggestions?:shrug:
I'm getting tired of all this bs with this truck. I just want to drive it.:fm:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Who tuned it? Typically, the fuel needs on the dyno are less than the fuel needs on the street. There's a lot more load on the motor when actually pushing the truck down the street. Sounds like the tune needs to be tweaked, and the plugs might need to be changed as well.

SVT99RED

Established Member
I have had this problem over and over.. 3 times it was a coil pack and 1 time it was spark blow out from too big of a gap. But my money is on a coil.

bonehead

F**k SRT10's
Established Member
i ended up buying the nology coils. i had to fab up some brackets which made it a pain in the ass, but if you look in that lightning shootout in MM&FF a few months back, the top 3 guys were using them. i know MSD makes a set of direct replacements and so does granatelli (which i wouldnt touch with a ten foot pole). theres one more company that makes them, but i cant remeber who it is right now.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
pitstain said:
I have yet to hear how the MSD's work out in the long run.
One bad stocker in 6 years here. Unless i see something saying that the aftermarket ones put out a ton more voltage i dont see the need to change......... unless its a setup like JLP has/had with the coils or the Nology coils

Modular Madness

Established Member
If it was a plug what should they be gapped at? I have TR6's gapped at .035
How much do those coils run? I might take it back into the Ford dealer that I used to work at and have him put the WDS on it while I drive it to see what cylinder it is.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Modular Madness said:
from 3/4 throttle to full throttle it cuts out and misses really bad. I'm going to check my plugs. Any other suggestions?:shrug:
Mine started doing exactly that suddenly. Thought for sure something major was wrong but it was just a sludge-filled fuel filter.
Truck had 28k miles on the stock filter. oops :bash:

bonehead

F**k SRT10's
Established Member
i didnt have any problems either....... til i broke the 800rwhp barrier. those stock coils will go a long way.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Several 9 second trucks with stock COP's. If the fuel filter has more than 10K on it I'd change that first. Your plug gap is good. What is your Mafia set on? Logging Mafv or AD counts would help as well as fuel pressure at idle and WOT or in high flow mode (jumpered relay). S&J tools used to have a great price for the COP tester, I got one but have never even used it yet so IDK how well it works.

You can also OHM out the COP's, 5.5 ohms across the primary, 5500 across the secondary IIRC. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread