YN paint in a pint or QT? from Ford?

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
Any idea where I can get Ford paint, not someone mixing it, in a pint or QT? I've got some touching up to do.

AZ ERIK

Established Member
I only want the Ford YN. Too many differences in flake size, flake color, flake amount. My hood is pretty much 2 different colors because the body shop mixed 'close enough'

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
You aren't guaranteed to have the right stuff from Ford either.

Here's a quick lesson about paint. Car companies have paint codes. This was all we used to need to mix paint, and it would end up perfect. Now there are certain variables to some paint codes. These variables occur for a couple different reasons, and are called "Alternates". Now Ford has used YN silver from 1990-2007, on everything from a Focus to Lightnings, to Mercury's, Lincolns , Etc. Now remember they are also being built in different plants all over the country and Canada. Slight variations occur. Another reason for differences is simple. They are using machines to paint vehicles. The machine may noy get completely flushed of say Yellow, and now it's painting Silver. So the silver will be slightly yellow. You don't realize it but there are a lot of Silver L's running around that look the same but in actuality differ just slightly. Sometimes these colors are so close they can be on a chip right next to each other and you can't tell the difference. Sometimes it's a difference in metallic, or sidetone. It may look perfect in the sunlight, but different at dusk or vice-versa. YN for example. This is copy & pasted right off Martin-senour's website-

00 Standard >>Alternate Formulas Available<<
Exempt Volume Percent: 0.0
>> Blendable Match <<
> Use Tec/Base Label #218 <

01 Less Sparkle & Yellow Sidetone >> Blendable Match <<

02 Dirty Yellow Face & Sidetone >> Blendable Match <<
Verified 96 Ranger

03 Bluer Sidetone >> Blendable Match <<
Verified 96 Clubwagon

04 Dark Face / Light Sidetone >> Blendable Match <<
Verified Carrierservices

05 Slightly Blue >> Blendable Match <<

Tecbase* Dark Face ; Light Sidetone National Rule Mix Ratio 1:1
3.5 Voc Composite Ratio 16:16:1

07 Slt Dark >> Blendable Match <<
Verified Mustang Vin#1f

08 Coarse Dark Face ; Light Sidetone >> Blendable Match <<
Verified Ford Econoline Vin#4h

See all the differences for YN?? I would recommend this : Go to a body shop or Auto parts store that is good at mixing paint. Be sure that they have the proper "Alternate Color Selector". Mine is chip books upon chip books of colors. Then have them compare the proper YN chip to your truck. Look at it from all angles, in the sunlight, and in the shade if possible. That is the only proper way to do it without having the big dollar gun that looks like a radar gun. Almost noone has that. If I can be any more help, you know where I am.

:-D

Black Sleeper

Established Member
Chris your right on the money the Yn has way to many variants! but when your just doing a touchup with a dab of paint and a little brush. it almost dosent matter what variant of the color you mix. Me when I do a touchup for like a stone chip I will mix .2 of a pint. that is equal to a bottel of nailpolish un reduced. it dosent matter in most cases what variant you mix its such a small amount of paint you will not get an acurate mix of the color.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
You are correct Black Sleeper. I've seen some where the customer didn't want to bother checking for the correct alternate and it was almost a Black & white difference.

AZ ERIK

Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
You aren't guaranteed to have the right stuff from Ford either.

Here's a quick lesson about paint. Car companies have paint codes. This was all we used to need to mix paint, and it would end up perfect. Now there are certain variables to some paint codes. These variables occur for a couple different reasons, and are called "Alternates". Now Ford has used YN silver from 1990-2007, on everything from a Focus to Lightnings, to Mercury's, Lincolns , Etc. Now remember they are also being built in different plants all over the country and Canada. Slight variations occur. Another reason for differences is simple. They are using machines to paint vehicles. The machine may noy get completely flushed of say Yellow, and now it's painting Silver. So the silver will be slightly yellow. You don't realize it but there are a lot of Silver L's running around that look the same but in actuality differ just slightly. Sometimes these colors are so close they can be on a chip right next to each other and you can't tell the difference. Sometimes it's a difference in metallic, or sidetone. It may look perfect in the sunlight, but different at dusk or vice-versa. YN for example. This is copy & pasted right off Martin-senour's website-

See all the differences for YN?? I would recommend this : Go to a body shop or Auto parts store that is good at mixing paint. Be sure that they have the proper "Alternate Color Selector". Mine is chip books upon chip books of colors. Then have them compare the proper YN chip to your truck. Look at it from all angles, in the sunlight, and in the shade if possible. That is the only proper way to do it without having the big dollar gun that looks like a radar gun. Almost noone has that. If I can be any more help, you know where I am.

:-D

See now this is why I love this site :beer: I think I know of a place in town with the gun, I'll call them tomorrow. Thank you all.

AZ ERIK

Established Member
Black Sleeper said:
Chris your right on the money the Yn has way to many variants! but when your just doing a touchup with a dab of paint and a little brush. it almost dosent matter what variant of the color you mix. Me when I do a touchup for like a stone chip I will mix .2 of a pint. that is equal to a bottel of nailpolish un reduced. it dosent matter in most cases what variant you mix its such a small amount of paint you will not get an acurate mix of the color.

I'm airbrushing, quite a bit accually. I have 2 very nice designs down my passenger door thanks to a wal-mart shopping cart, 1 of the Mirror covers thanks to a grage wall, the bottom right of my valance due to a curb, tailgate handle, rear window surround(maybe), touch up on all 4 wheels, underside of the hood, engine bay and trailer hitch. Some of it I'll be using a touch up gun for but alot of it will be airbrushed.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
TucsonPred said:
See now this is why I love this site :beer: I think I know of a place in town with the gun, I'll call them tomorrow. Thank you all.

I'm glad you took it as a sincere attempt to help out. I was thinking afterwards where I said "Here's a quick lesson about paint" that it could be taken wrong. :beer:

ACSVT said:
Sounds like you all are playing cops and robbers.... :-D

in my best Dane Cook voice :"Where's the van!?!?!, where's the F'n van!?!?" :-D

AZ ERIK

Established Member
"She ate the brownies! She ate the mushroom brownies! SHE'S A COP!" (I think it was Dane Cook that talked about eating Mushroom brownies and his girlfriend that is a cop ate some, she called him from a phone booth, naked, on 'that street')

No not at all. I knew there were shades and what not. I just need to figure out how to read the shades or chip book my heart out, or call Formula 1 and find out if they have a gun) Thank you kindly Mr Nelson, this is much better than buying 47 bottle fo touch up paint.

Black Sleeper

Established Member
In almost every paint line I have used standox Glaso ppg dupont the yn paint code the yellow variant is almost always dead on balls. why i dont know but It is almost always my first choice!

Users who are viewing this thread