Your advice please -- Is it the Vibe?

cobralightning

Established Member
I own a 01 Red Lightning (which I baby shamelessly). A good friend got me interested in the 03 Cobra, and, since the Lightning has been such a good experience, I decided to add a SVT sibling. My friend BTW, who also posts here, bought one the week before I did.

The Cobra is quite different from the Lightning, both in handling and ride quality. As you folks know, it also feels like driving a guided missle. :burnout: So I have been trying to get used to the differences.

My problem is this -- I was driving home from a nearby town on the back back roads, enjoying a fairly sustained high speed run. The first half hour or so at 90 or so -- no problem. Then, I start getting vibration similar to that you would get on grooved pavement. The interesting thing is that I mainly felt it when the driveline was under tension (i.e. not coasting). I tried several different road surfaces and it stayed the same -- so it was not the pavement.

I took it out again this evening -- same deal. 20 or so minutes at around 90 + -- no issue. I get on the highway to come back to town, get above 80, and it vibrates again. This is not mirror shaking vibration, but it is very noticeable.

Question -- anyone have the same experience? The delay in vibration makes me question the driveshaft theory. Any guesses as to what it is?

03mineralg

Established Member
Take it to your dealer, if it is a vibe in the drivetrain there is three major factors, they will try relaxing the exhaust, rotating tires, then it will get a little more involved with changing the driveshaft or rearend. seems to be pretty common. Mines in the shop now for the new rear.

FINICKY

Established Member
My car vibes at rite around 80 over that and its better. Mine also is worse when im on the gas. If you have it it should come on at a specific speed everytime

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Originally posted by FINICKY
My car vibes at rite around 80 over that and its better. Mine also is worse when im on the gas. If you have it it should come on at a specific speed everytime
Mine also does it at 80 (the view in the rear view mirror is a shaky mess), but it seems to be the same whether I'm on the gas or in neutral. I've got an appointment to take it in next week. Bummer.

03mineralg

Established Member
Relaxing the exhaust is svt`s word for unbolting the exhaust, letting it hang, then retightening the bolts. They say it relieves tension, i would say it solves nothing!

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by FINICKY

Is this independent of RPM?

cobralightning

Established Member
That's an interesting question -- I haven't tried pushing in the clutch at 80 and revving it to see if it makes a difference. What I do notice is that the vibration is worse while I am on the gas at 80 to 100 mph. It is still there when I coast, just not as noticable. I called a service advisor at the dealer. He said he would "get back to me". Now he does not return my calls. -bb

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by cobralightning
That's an interesting question -- I haven't tried pushing in the clutch at 80 and revving it to see if it makes a difference. What I do notice is that the vibration is worse while I am on the gas at 80 to 100 mph. It is still there when I coast, just not as noticable. I called a service advisor at the dealer. He said he would "get back to me". Now he does not return my calls. -bb

What I meant was, does it happen in different gears at the same speed?

Users who are viewing this thread