experimenting with Denso and Brisk Plugs.I have a nice set of Snap On
tools and anything else that I will need to do the change efficiently.But
it just seems to take forever :fm: Anyway I was curious as to how long
it takes everybody else without of course removing the supercharger.I also
always do the hardest plugs first so I feel better when I get to the rest of
them... It feels faster... LOL... Give me your time...I'm bored...RC :poke:

SVT99RED

Established Member
first time about 4hours, 2nd time about 2 1/2 hours, third time 1 hour, 4th time 45 mins this last one took me between 30-45 mins... I pretty much have it down cuz of my coil pack prob i thought was a plug issue so now i have all the tools to get it done between 30-45 mins from start to finish!!

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
Dude....Thats awesome...It's still taking me more than a few hours...Give us your
secrets LOL

LightningMAS

Banned
i clocked all of these times with a stopwatch.. first time took me 2 hrs 36 min. 2nd time took me 1hr. 15min. i have all the tools needed..

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
I guess I need to put a Handicapped sticker on my tool box...Because I haven't been
able to fly through it like you guys...LOL...Anyway,mine is done and that makes me
happy.......I put in Brisk plugs from LFP and love them so far.

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
KillTeam said:
and the tools would be??????

wobbly extensions. mostly what i use. get some in 3/8" drive. i got mine from snap-on, came with 8 different sizes from 1" all the way to 14".
sears has them. best thing for spark plugs ever.

the first time changing them was a pain in the ass. it took me probably 2 hours, with cut up hands. now i got my technique down and everything! i did one side while i was at work on break, 10 minutes. then did the other in probably 20 minutes on lunch. that was while eating. i have a coworker bring me back some stuff so i didnt have to stop in the middle. i find it easier to get the fuel rails out of the way. some people leave them alone.

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
PearlBlue L said:
got it down to about 35 minutes with about 5 times experience. its really not that hard.

im catching you. ive done it 4 times. since feb. 05 thru aug. 05. the iridiums seem to be doing ok.

fullboogie

Established Member
I was at Sears today, and saw what I think are the "wobbly" sockets. Are these the ones that have a universal joint built in to the end of the socket? Saw a 7mm for the coil pack screws and a spark plug one too.

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
My plugs took 2 DAYS for me to change. :bash: LOL.

I did the passenger's side on a Saturday morning with no problem. Got to the driver's side and changed the first 3 plugs with no problem. Made it to the last plug on the driver's side and the plug boot decided to stick to the damned plug and seperate itself from the coil pack. :mj:

I had to stop f*cking with it right then and there because I was about to lose my temper and throw a wrench across the front yard.

I got up the next day, as I was a bit more calm, had an :idea: and managed to get the sticky plug boot off. Thank God for WD-40 and a long 3/8" extension inserted inside the boot to break it loose.

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
fullboogie said:
I was at Sears today, and saw what I think are the "wobbly" sockets. Are these the ones that have a universal joint built in to the end of the socket? Saw a 7mm for the coil pack screws and a spark plug one too.

i would imagine, however the "universal joint" is not on the end of the socket, its in the middle. if u get that, i would recommend getting the wobble extensions too, they make it way easier.

blownsvtlightning said:
But I do this for a living
mechanic too...but for tractor/trailers. :beer:

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
I'm down to a 45min, to an hour. The tools I use are a 3", 6" extension, 3/8" universal, 7mm universal socket. I always put anti sieze on the spark plugs. I remove the injector plug to help with space.

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
Dude.... thats an awesome addition to the coil pack...I need to get a set!! Do you
guys take that small p.s.plate on drivers side off to get to that first plug by the
pump? I do that and pull both fuel rails up.....Also alot of cur$ing and crazy eyed
looks...LOL...

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
1 hr since i removed the pcv and egr stuff, and that taking my time....if i really wanted to do it fast i could do it about 45min. really helps when that craps not in the way.

as far as tools...make sure you've got a 6" ext, and a couple 3" ext. a good sparkplug socket is also nice too.

chiz

Users who are viewing this thread