your opinion on used lighting

eric n

Established Member
I'm interested in picking up a used lightning and my local dealership has a 2000 for $22,000 it has 50k miles on it. He tells me it's pretty much stock. What are the advantages and disadvantages to this year. What will it run stock.

What would I have to do to put it in the 12.8 -13.2 range?

Thanks in advance.

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
Sounds a bit on the high side to me, I paid that much for my 01 over a year ago and it had 28K on it and the remainder of the factory warranty (of course, that was not in California). Main disadvantage is less horsepower (and torque) than the 01-04 (stock).

Bootie

Established Member
Way too much...Just bought a 02 for 23k with 22,500 miles. Check the blue book value. You can do it for free on Kelley Blue Book website.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Yup. Way too much. I have a truck in similiar conidition and I'd let it go for 17k FYI......

I'm assuming your in Bakersfield, CA?

As for the mods, as for go fast goodies, mine only has a 90mm Update, Generic Chip and 2# Lower pulley and personnaly ahve run a 13.1 @ 103. The previous owner ran 12.9X and on slicks JJ@WMS ran it to a 12.68 @ 107.

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
Yup. Way too much. I have a truck in similiar conidition and I'd let it go for 17k FYI......

I'm assuming your in Bakersfield, CA?

As for the mods, as for go fast goodies, mine only has a 90mm Update, Generic Chip and 2# Lower pulley and personnaly ahve run a 13.1 @ 103. The previous owner ran 12.9X and on slicks JJ@WMS ran it to a 12.68 @ 107.

I bought mine with 40k on it for about $18k
$22 is a rip off. Book isn't even that high is I remember right.
"Pretty much stock" probably means "Was beaten, put back to stock and traded in." I see it all the time. Take a peek in a local Lightning board, watch this one, NLoc and F150online. You can come across them for less than $20k and get a history with it.

quicksig

Banned
Yeah thats pretty high...this from a person whose profession is buying cars. I bought mine retail and paid $21.5K for an '02 with 26K...good deals can be had, you just have to be patient and keep an eye out.

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
Dude. Thats way to high. I gave a little over 15 for my L when it just had 45,000 miles on it. Tell the guy he is way to high and see what he says.

RidnRodsLightng

Established Member
look in the for sale section here, there are a ton of L's for sale. I always suggest to support the other L owners rather than the stealerships....they add WAY too much to the cost. We just purchased an 04 with 22K miles for $24,500. and there were 3 or 4 others that we were looking at between svtp and nloc.

Users who are viewing this thread