Your Thoughts and Help

Tex01Lightning

Established Member
Hey guys, I am abt to head back to lovely Houston in abt a month after being in Germany for 8 months. Had the money for a built engine and trans before I left but didn’t want to do it and just let it sit there. The more time I have spend over here the more I became torn with the subject. Don't get me wrong I am all abt the power but I also am abt the driving as well. I have always had the philosophy that you have a car to drive it is not to just sit there and look pretty. You build them, you drive them, you break them, and then you do it all over again. I understand there are some classics that shouldn’t drive everyday. My pops has a 70' 302 boss and that is not the type of car I want to be driving to work. But my lightning is a different story. There will be that time when it will sit there but that is the future. So here is the dilemma.

1. Do I buy a built motor, trans, all the normal upgrades to drive it everyday? Keep in mind I probably put 8,000k on a year.

2. Do I buy a new stock motor, got with an older kenne bell and do all the normal upgrades. I would go off of my stock motor but the f'er that had it before me had some shit tune on it and I probably drove it 5k before I brought it to get it tuned myself and I have no idea how long he drove with it on. Plus I want to keep my stock motor with numbers matching.

3. Keep the motor I have now. Pretty much dead stock, its tuned, upper pulley, and JLP FAI. and go with all the other setups. I already have the TVS kit. (great mod by the way, highly recommend it) Just ordered some new brakes and pad for when I get home. Anyone know where I can get stainless brake line or do I have to make my own? Anywho I guess add all the supporting mods that I feel a lot of people skip over and build her up that way?

4. Buy a new lightning and just start from there? 03' 04?

I am not looking for the fastest lightning out there (that day will come) I am looking for a change I guess. I don’t want to put a 6 lber on my truck I just don’t know the condition or the stress the engine can take. She runs like a beast now but I have my doubts.

I am all open ears and thanks for any feedback I can get.

thx
Tim K

LSUstang05

Established Member
Go built, get a mild/medium stall so it's still streetable, and get a kenne belle or whipple and call it a day. Have an easy 600hp or something and be able to drive it daily.

Tex01Lightning

Established Member
HAHA I knew that was the answer I was going to get... Guys from Texas any idea of what you have spent for the whole setup Built engine, I know i will need a new trans, fuel blah blah. I was going to take it to PSI then, I have heard nothing but good things and everytime i have spoken with Patrick he has really taken the time to help even if it was over the smallest thing and for the that goes a long way.

Users who are viewing this thread