Z06 compared to R

BRIMSTONE

I posted this on another board and thought I'd share it with the fellow R owners as well:

2002 Z06 impressions:
Very refined ride for such a powerful car. Comfortable enough to be a daily driver, a little bumpy on really bad roads but for the most part this could almost be a touring car. I'm a small guy but I was able to adjust the seat and steering column for a nice tight race car like fit. Lots of little luxury car gadgets, so many that you have to watch a video to really learn them all.

Gobs of power at all rpms. And the thing is, you don't feel it. Just touch the gas pedal and you are at a calm 100 mph, seriously. The way the speedo climbs to 100 reminds me of a Viper. Press hard on the gas and the Z gets downright mean like a true muscle car.

Being used to the R, I can say that the Z is a lot more numb to the road, and to everything else. The shifter in the Z absolutely sucks, does not belong in a 405 HP sports car. The way the R shifts gets your adrenaline pumping everytime. And I feel that the R definitely handles and steers better, although it doesn't make u-turns as well. Maybe it's the tires? Or maybe it's a compromise Chevy made, after all Z06 drivers tend to do a lot more street driving than R drivers, and the Z06 is definitely more comfortable on the street.

Faster than the R in a straight line? Yes. But going through turns it seems the R is more controlled, even though the Z has traction control.

Fun factor? R wins all the way. If I had to choose 1 and already had a daily driver, it would be the R, hands down. The Z is probably faster but the high tech dohc R engine is a dream. The R feels much more like a race car. It's ALWAYS exciting to drive. However, the R has many downsides, most of them having to do with driving on the street. Any little dip or bump is a a pain in the ass. Because of the bulging hood, visibility is not as good for short people like me neither. Some driveways are truly impossible. But, I am glad I have both cars because now I can really appreciate the different qualities that both of these awesome vehicles have to offer. And who knows, my opinions may change once the Z is more broken in and I get the R back. I am very thankful to God that I can enjoy these fine machines!

Mike C.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Mikey,
Does that mean you bought a Z06???? Wow, wouldn't that be a fun garage to walk into every morning? :D

BRIMSTONE

Not sure, but I think GM is expecting 20% of corvette production to be Z06's. They are easy to get right off the showroom floor and right now the deals are incredible.

Brian, my garage won't be as nice as yours but it will be cool having 2 of the highest performing US cars ever made right in my own garage.
Mike

Last edited:

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by BRIMSTONE
I posted this on another board and thought I'd share it with the fellow R owners as well:

2002 Z06 impressions:
Very refined ride for such a powerful car. Comfortable enough to be a daily driver, a little bumpy on really bad roads but for the most part this could almost be a touring car. I'm a small guy but I was able to adjust the seat and steering column for a nice tight race car like fit. Lots of little luxury car gadgets, so many that you have to watch a video to really learn them all.

Gobs of power at all rpms. And the thing is, you don't feel it. Just touch the gas pedal and you are at a calm 100 mph, seriously. The way the speedo climbs to 100 reminds me of a Viper. Press hard on the gas and the Z gets downright mean like a true muscle car.

Being used to the R, I can say that the Z is a lot more numb to the road, and to everything else. The shifter in the Z absolutely sucks, does not belong in a 405 HP sports car. The way the R shifts gets your adrenaline pumping everytime. And I feel that the R definitely handles and steers better, although it doesn't make u-turns as well. Maybe it's the tires? Or maybe it's a compromise Chevy made, after all Z06 drivers tend to do a lot more street driving than R drivers, and the Z06 is definitely more comfortable on the street.

Faster than the R in a straight line? Yes. But going through turns it seems the R is more controlled, even though the Z has traction control.

Fun factor? R wins all the way. If I had to choose 1 and already had a daily driver, it would be the R, hands down. The Z is probably faster but the high tech dohc R engine is a dream. The R feels much more like a race car. It's ALWAYS exciting to drive. However, the R has many downsides, most of them having to do with driving on the street. Any little dip or bump is a a pain in the ass. Because of the bulging hood, visibility is not as good for short people like me neither. Some driveways are truly impossible. But, I am glad I have both cars because now I can really appreciate the different qualities that both of these awesome vehicles have to offer. And who knows, my opinions may change once the Z is more broken in and I get the R back. I am very thankful to God that I can enjoy these fine machines!

Mike C.
Mike, so you actually bought a Z06??? I came close to buying one when I was looking for a track car... but as you mentioned above, when it comes to the "fun factor" the R wins hands down...and after all, I already have the M5 to cruise around in, as well as a Frontier p/u to haul stuff around...as well as my wife's car to haul the kids around in... so, I was not looking for a practical car...and hence the R won out! Congrats dude!!

My next new purchase will be a Ferrari 360 Modena. I am thinking of putting down a deposit on one (2-3 year wait) and trade in the M5 when it comes in. However, no matter what I do, I will plan on keeping the R for a long time, if possible? I love it!!

BRIMSTONE

Andy,

Yes, I have a torch red Z06 with a torch red interior now. Thanks for the congratulations, I'm very happy with it considering the deal I got. It's not my daily driver, but something to drive around with on weekends or out at night, even if the weather is not perfect (which it must be for me to drive the R).

I'm with you on the Ferrari, that will probably be my next car, if it's a 2-3 year wait I may consider putting down a deposit sometime next year.

The R is special to me too and I'd realistically like to try to still have it 20 years from now as a historic piece. Don't know if that's possible though since I want to do track events with it.

Mike

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Not sure, but I think GM is expecting 20% of corvette production to be Z06's. They are easy to get right off the showroom floor and right now the deals are incredible.

Brian, my garage won't be as nice as yours but it will be cool having 2 of the highest performing US cars ever made right in my own garage.
Mike

Says something for the re-sale of the two, huh? 1 good 1 not so good, so you'll be just fine!!!:D :D

Andy M

Established Member
Andy,

Yes, I have a torch red Z06 with a torch red interior now. Thanks for the congratulations, I'm very happy with it considering the deal I got. It's not my daily driver, but something to drive around with on weekends or out at night, even if the weather is not perfect (which it must be for me to drive the R).

I'm with you on the Ferrari, that will probably be my next car, if it's a 2-3 year wait I may consider putting down a deposit sometime next year.

The R is special to me too and I'd realistically like to try to still have it 20 years from now as a historic piece. Don't know if that's possible though since I want to do track events with it.

Mike
You're just like me... you have a fetish for red vehicles... all three of mine are red!!!! :D , including the Frontier crew cab.

Not sure what the Ferrari market is like where you are, but here in Houston it is a very closed knit community. Basically, you have to have connections to get one at sticker. I recently was introduced to the manager of the lone Ferrari dealership here and I can get on the list for a coupe (Modena) for sticker at around $155K and about a 1-1/2 year wait, or get the cabrio (Spider) for about $175K and a 2-3 year wait. Not sure which I will choose, but I pretty sure I will do it. I figure the stock market will have rebounded (I HOPE????!) by then and I can justify such an expense...plus I need to get my wife used to the idea of me buying a car which is worth more than my house!

I have a friend who bought a white Z06 about 6 months ago and I drove it, and it definitely boogies! Again, I think the R is a whole lot more fun to drive... but if I could convince my wife I needed another car (fat chance!!) I would not mind having a Z06 in the garage.

Again, congrats!!

XLR8-R

Established Member
Mike, Thanks for the un-biased opinion. I also considered a Z06, but chose the R. If I had to drive it daily the Vette might have won. Of course working at a Ford dealership my colleagues may have frowned. Sounds like I made the right decision. Plus I may not have had another chance to buy an R at a good price.

Carter

Andy M

Established Member
Although the Z06 is certainly a wonderful machine, especially given its price?!, the R takes me back several years when I first started driving... when muscle cars were all the rage! What can I say, it makes me feel young again. Oh no, I suppose I am really going through my midlife crisis, huh?? :-?

LogiWorld123

Established Member
doh, just wondering if u had aol instant messenger.. just wanted tho chat with ya.

mustangmad

Established Member
R vs Z06 vs 360 Modena

:ud: :idea: Gentlemen, did I read Ferrari in these hallowed pages? That's cool! I may be able to help as I recently started working for Shelton Imports in their e-commerce department. We offer Jaguar, Audi, Land Rover, Porsche, Aston Martin, Maserati AND Ferrari. Beautiful stores, great car people all through the dealerships and the owners (Tom & Steve Shelton) raced an assortment of cars in the old IMSA GTP series. Great guys. Not your typical car salesmen.

Users who are viewing this thread