Z28 vs 05+ GT

16kOrBust

Established Member
Note - this happened just before my tune and MN12 tranny, so I was WAYYY down on power (ie 386/344 :().

I was on my way from a little cruise when I pulled up behind a newer Mustang GT with at least exhaust who was giving me some "what's up???" type looks and revving it a bit. It looked and sounded mint and he had his girlfriend in the passenger seat and a buddy in the back. I asked him what he had done, but I absolutely could not hear what the hell he was saying, except that it was only one or two words and could have been anything from "exhaust" to "nitrous" to "bolt-ons" to "supercharger", hahaha.

He followed me to a two lane highway and after letting a few cars go by, I asked him what he wanted to go from. He said 40 (uuhgggg....), which was the bottom of second for me, but I think he had an auto (would that speed make sense for him?) and I was the one who asked, so 40 it was. No honks or anything because I think when I downshifted he thought I was going and floored it. He got a solid one car jump, but when my RPM came up I started pulling hard. By the shift to third I was pulling past him very quickly and towards the top of third I let off a good 1.5 to 2 cars in front.

There was no one behind so I asked if he wanted to do a first gear roll. He said dead stop, which was fine for me because of my Nittos, 12-bolt, and 4.10s, but just as we came to a full stop, a car came over the horizon behind us, so I just told him to go, knowing that it wasn't going to be pretty. I gave him a big jump and then rolled out from a low RPM with him a SOLID 1-1.5 cars out front. By the end of first I was pulling at his bumper again. A very slow shift to second and that gear put me a little bit in front. Another slow shift to third and towards the top I let off with about 2 cars.

He seemed like a cool guy but the only thing I could make out that he was saying afterwards was "I have three people in the car". I said "ah well" and gave him a thumbs up, which he returned. He seemed really disappointed, but judging from the sound of the car and the outcome, it was probably just bolt-ons, or not much more anyways. He did have two passengers.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
:bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs: His car would rape you without those passengers

:p Good kill lol

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
good kill...auto and 3 people didnt help him much. But neither does you having almost 400 at the wheels lol. What kinda setup you running bro?

16kOrBust

Established Member
Thanks, guys.
good kill...auto and 3 people didnt help him much. But neither does you having almost 400 at the wheels lol. What kinda setup you running bro?
Haha, yeah, 3 passengers sucks. I didn't know what else to do but just kind of shrug and give him a dissapointed look when he sort of whined about it.

I have a wimpy heads and cam setup (both the heads and cam were chosen by the previous owner :(). By that I mean the cam is smallish and the heads are a low model by a poor quality company. Through my 12-bolt with 4.10s it puts down 400/367, but I got it baselined, so I found out that my beefy driveshaft and 12-bolt cost me 19rwhp and 23rwtq. I also found out that these crappy heads are only giving me a best of 10rwhp. At least I didn't pay for them.

I've got plans for a much larger custom cam over the winter so I can stop having to explain why my h/c setup makes such crappy power to everyone that asks, haha.

Last edited:

TrickStang37

Established Member
that sux, it must be almost embarrassing to say you have heads when someone asks what the car has. I'd almost skip saying i have them just to save the hassle.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Thanks, guys.
that sux, it must be almost embarrassing to say you have heads when someone asks what the car has. I'd almost skip saying i have them just to save the hassle.
Yeah, I always just told everyone about the heads because I didn't want to lie, but the more I had to give explanations, the more I started just saying it just has a cam (it's pretty much making cam only power anyways). It's not like they're Trickflows or AFRs, so I don't feel that bad. There are plenty of cam only LS1s out there making more power than my setup, anyways. Hopefully the new cam over the winter will help things out, I just can't afford new heads right now.

Users who are viewing this thread