ZEX NOS management

Cobra4pt6

Banned
i'm thinking of getting the zex nos wet system in a 75hp shot and was wondering if i would have to get my comp chip reprogrammed for the nos b/c my timing is already +5 degrees? also this is the wet system and i was wondering if you think it'd puddle?

here is the info on the system:

Zex Wet Kit 96-04 4.6
[82023] $549.00

Plug & Play Nitrous Performance: All major components are contained in the ZEX™ "NMU", which means you won't have any unsightly solenoids or wiring. Worlds Only "Smart" Nitrous System: Uses actual bottle pressure to regulate the nitrous to fuel ratio, always optimizing the mix. Never too rich, never too lean! Our nitrous kit only activates when you hit full throttle: This means you can sit at the line with the system armed and your hands on the steering wheel. When you hit full throttle, the nitrous automatically kicks in, you don't have to fumble with switches and steering at the same time. When you let off the throttle, the nitrous shuts off. Our difference in approach results in more horsepower per nitrous used through all bottle pressures.

99SVTcobraVERT

cobra i hope you havent already bought this kit..... =/ and yes you should NOT run any nitrous on +5 degree's at very least stock timing and on bigger shots like 150 some say pull couple, although i never did. you will not make any power on the zex period... i have seen it in action you need NX. if you havent already bought that zex let me know i have a buddy that is warehouse distr for nitrous express and he will hook you up for lot less than that zec system

99SVTcobraVERT

everyone calls any nitrous system nos... ever since that damn movie. worse thing that ever happened to nitrous users, best thing to ever happen to nitrous sales lol. nos is a brand, nitrous oxide system (nos) made by the ever famous holley

RioRed4v

Established Member
Originally posted by NOScobra2001
cobra i hope you havent already bought this kit..... =/ and yes you should NOT run any nitrous on +5 degree's at very least stock timing and on bigger shots like 150 some say pull couple, although i never did. you will not make any power on the zex period... i have seen it in action you need NX. if you havent already bought that zex let me know i have a buddy that is warehouse distr for nitrous express and he will hook you up for lot less than that zec system

does the zex statement apply to just cobra's, or in general?? i've seen, known, plenty of people with zex kits, and they work VERY well, and have never had an issue with them, oh, and they make very good power with them.

bouncer18

Established Member
BS flag being raised... Sorry NosCobra2001

i got a dyno graph of me on a 75 shot putting down 370+ HP and over 400TQ on a ZEX 75 shot wet kit system..

so saying its bullshit or doesnt work is retarded...
Zex has a special nozzle in which it prevents puddling too... they all do these days

ZEX and NX are the exact same.. they measure HP from the wheels for there jets.. ZEX has there solenoids in a nice little purple box.. all you do is connect the fuel line, nitrous line power/ground to it, mount the box and your done.. all u see when u open the hood is the box.. unlike NX where its all invidual

both kits work the same.. ZEX has a bad name cause it was built primarily at first for the import guys.. now they do both ...import and domestic

RioRed4v

Established Member
Originally posted by bouncer18

i got a dyno graph of me on a 75 shot putting down 370+ HP and over 400TQ on a ZEX 75 shot wet kit system..

Zex has a special nozzle in which it prevents puddling too... they all do these days

ZEX and NX are the exact same.. they measure HP from the wheels for there jets.. ZEX has there solenoids in a nice little purple box.. all you do is connect the fuel line, nitrous line power/ground to it, mount the box and your done.. all u see when u open the hood is the box.. unlike NX where its all invidual

both kits work the same.. ZEX has a bad name cause it was built primarily at first for the import guys.. now they do both ...import and domestic

i completely agree with this.

IMO the best kits on the market are ZEX and NX. with ZEX being the easier of the 2 to install. But NX being able to carry a higher HP shot.

my buddy with an 01 GT, on a 100 shot, dyno'd 99 hp over N/A. I'd say thats pretty dead on.

99SVTcobraVERT

Originally posted by RioRed4v
does the zex statement apply to just cobra's, or in general?? i've seen, known, plenty of people with zex kits, and they work VERY well, and have never had an issue with them, oh, and they make very good power with them.

this is my experience based of racing other guys with mustangs with zex kits. they have issues bottle pressure with the mix of the "worlds only nitrous smart system" you let me spray a 75 shot on a cobra w/o their smart system and another cobra with 75 nx and the nx will walk it. oh and btw what happens when you heat the bottle to 1100psi and spray with that zex kit LMAO! let him try it and he will get what i mean. also i know a guy with a 93 gt with a 125 shot zex and he gets his ass kicked by just about anything with spray with comparible power.

99SVTcobraVERT

now old on here, 370+ hp and 400+ tq doesnt exactly sound like exact dynojet SAE corrected rwhp/rwtq #'s. post what exact numbers were and what rpm you sprayed at.

never said that the zex does not work or bullshit. just said it wont make any power. which its obvious that i didnt mean that it wouldnt see any gains. nitrous of any kind will make power. but compared to the nx its nothing. and again i base this off real world dyno's and racing. fuel puddling occures when fuel obviously stays in intake manifold and blow sky high. it happens with fuel isnt atomized properly and/or too much fuel is going thru. their kits are set up to make you very rich, ive seen it for myself. which sends more fuel down our f*cked up intakes have you ever seen out intakes off? they look nothing like any other year model mustang lower intake. this makes them more likely to puddle. also their special nozzle breaks as easily as the nos brand one. the nx one is better and if you compare the zex next to the nx shark you will see the difference.

zex and nx are most certainly not the same, the selanoids on the nx are rated to open up to 1300psi and rated at holding 2000psi pressure, ive personally witnessed them hold a pegged bottle pressure of 1600+ and still work properly. and if a noid goes out, no big deal i can buy rebuild kit for cheap cheap or buy a new one. if ANYTHING goes wrong with the box which does everything then you are screwed. how much is a new one?

one uses two different selanoids and and does not have a thing to do with your fuel pressure and bottle pressure and will work whenever you want it to at whatever bottle pressure you want it to. the zex will not, how does this make them anywhere near the same? no flame intended bouncer because we really havent but heads before but you are basing all of this off because you own a zex kit. which is perfectly fine defending it. but i mean be honest do you have anything to compare it to?;-)

99SVTcobraVERT

Originally posted by RioRed4v
i completely agree with this.

IMO the best kits on the market are ZEX and NX. with ZEX being the easier of the 2 to install. But NX being able to carry a higher HP shot.

my buddy with an 01 GT, on a 100 shot, dyno'd 99 hp over N/A. I'd say thats pretty dead on.

how much tq, that is the huge difference between the two and where they fall off. also i can install an nx kit sloppy in hour half EASY and to look professional in 3 hours. venomoussvt can prob do it to look perfect and w/o a trace in 3 hours. the zex can not be installed that fast with the programming. i was around for an install on an 02 maxima and a 1993 mustang. took 5 hours to make the zex unviewable and perfect. and the zex was just slapped on the mustang and looked so so but def there in about 3 :shrug:

bouncer18

Established Member
Originally posted by NOScobra2001
this is my experience based of racing other guys with mustangs with zex kits. they have issues bottle pressure with the mix of the "worlds only nitrous smart system" you let me spray a 75 shot on a cobra w/o their smart system and another cobra with 75 nx and the nx will walk it. oh and btw what happens when you heat the bottle to 1100psi and spray with that zex kit LMAO! let him try it and he will get what i mean. also i know a guy with a 93 gt with a 125 shot zex and he gets his ass kicked by just about anything with spray with comparible power.

i will scan the graph and post it this weekend when i am at my moms house (no scanner here) but i see what you are getting at now somewhat....

But i have never had a problem with the seloinoids not opening on my kit w/ 1100 psi... good luck perhaps?? it did get stuck at 1400 psi but that was to be expected.. never leave a heater on un attended in june lol

according to the graph in 4th gear he turned my bottle on at 2500 rpm .

as far as the kits being "richer" i disagree there too. thats why i cant run a straight 125 shot.. its too lean for me to feel safe. hense my 100 nitrous 125 fuel. I loose out on power and torque but the a/f line is safer.

You got me there however on the box.. when mine goes out i am indeed fu*ked :)

as far as my comparison i have 2 to stand on. both were NX wet kits. 1 on a supra, other on a 87 mustang. the 87 mustang has had 3 backfires due to puddling. Other then that it was fine kit. Ohh not to mention the activator on full throttle, that switch.. has been replaced because it broke off after a while.. nothing to be unexpected i assume.
The supra howerver has had major problems when his bottle pressure has gone over 1100 psi.

All in all my opinion is this.
Nitrous is great.. but in the long run its too damn expensive.. Now that i have to pay $3.50 a pound i am leaning towards that blower more and more.. filling up once a week.. 40.00 bucks worth just doesnt pay off...

NOScobra2001: No hard feelings. A good debate is what i was intending on. I see your side.. but i never did bash the NX kit, i was just saying the Zex kit isnt as shabby as you may think. The Dyno (on my car atleast) proves my theory on its performance.

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Hey Cobra 4pt6, I know where you can get that kit (82023) for $490 SHIPPED ! I just got one myself not too long ago.
www.importcarpartsplus.com
Ask for Justin and tell him Chris in Danville sent you. He'll know who you're talking about. That ZEX kit will NOT disappoint !!

99SVTcobraVERT

yeah thats what i dont like most about the zex is that is claims that not matter what jet size you put in that you are always efficient with your a/f ratio. you having to put in jets for 125 for fuel and 100 on nitrous is just totally f*cked up. just goes to show how f*cked up our cars really are and not having a return fuel system also limits things. if you can get a zex at a great priced used or at a STEAL new then of course buy it because its cheap but when i can get anyone on this board nx kits for well under 490 shipped for the zex nitemare just posted

bouncer18

Established Member
my zex kit
BRAND NEW i paid $325... and yea that returnless system SUCKS BAD!! i love how our cars run lean naturally but on the bottle.. wow, i cant belive some people on here run a 150 shot and get away with it.

99SVTcobraVERT

325 new? from private party not business i assume. mine actually looked like a freak on dyno bone stock and on nitrous...
it ran 12:1 straight across board and never fell off. made 280 at wheels and 290 tq bone stock at 200 miles, never dyno after that all na till the x pipe and 3inch ford racing catback. made 301rwhp with the 3 inch robbing me. when i sprayed it at 1150 psi and made the 449rwhp 535rwtq it was 12:5 or so and then at upper rpms dropped down to about 11 maybe 10:5 towards upper upper rpms but for most part was pretty steady across as it went richer and richer. have never had prob with being lean with anything including the blower when it was put on even witht he stock crappy vortech chip?

bouncer18

Established Member
hmm wierd.. stock mine did 275.3 / 280.5 it was near the 13.4 range... with the xpipe and catback it went up to 300/300 and the a/f went up to a constant 13.7
But i do have a steady graph after 7 or so dyno runs... its choppy, and the curve looks like shit but its consistant..

And igot my kit from a "friend" .. he bought it for me from a distributer and then sold it back to me at cost :)

Users who are viewing this thread