Just purchased a 2,300 mile 2007 GT500; what next?

Mach1Stang

07 GT500
Established Member
I just purchased a 2007 GT500 with under 2,400 miles. The car was very well cared for; it still had original tires from 2006. It was owned by an elderly man that worked for Lockeed Martin for 40 years. The owner passed away in December and his wife sold it to the dealership I work for.

The previous owner did the following back in 2009:

Ford GT cams
FRPP ceramic shorty's
Magnaflow Competition catback
Electric cut outs
FRPP 3.73 gears
Tune (unknown)

I added Michelin Pilot Sport 4s', and plan to remove the electric cut outs.

I also have plans for a smaller pulley and CAI, as well as lowing the car with MM stuff.

What should I do next to the car? I know how to work on cars, but I don't know sh!t about tuning.

Should I buy a handheld SCT or VMP tuner, or get a custom tune?

What pulley should I get?

Is JLT still the go-to intake for these?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Follow the build on Instagram @trdhulk

Attachments

• i85Qqm6.jpg
    i85Qqm6.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 58
  • ifvDCuf.jpg
    ifvDCuf.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 35
  • sPptOEI.jpg
    sPptOEI.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
An RIP to the previous owner. I always feel bad when I hear things like this as that'll be us some day.

Very cool car. I dig that he did the FRPP shorties as they are rare and a PIA to install. I had them on mine and can relate.

Enjoy that low mile bad boy.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Dump the shorties and get LTs. Pulley or larger blower. Intake. E85. Injectors and BAP.

Its straight up wierd that he did a cam swap but is still on the stock pulley.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The tune would be MY 1st order of business.
Try to get hold of the previous owner's wife & pick her brain, maybe there is a hand held laying around her house...................good luck..

DaleM

Sebring SVTOA
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Enjoy it like it is for a while, then decide. I am sure the guys here can have you broke in 48 hours. Get a loan!

Shane007

I have an 07 convertible with VMP busts pump pulley in tune. I absolutely love my car. Make sure you get upper in lower control arms when you up power

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Mach1Stang

07 GT500
Established Member
An RIP to the previous owner. I always feel bad when I hear things like this as that'll be us some day.

Very cool car. I dig that he did the FRPP shorties as they are rare and a PIA to install. I had them on mine and can relate.

Enjoy that low mile bad boy.

Yes RIP. I felt the need to read up on him and he seemed like a good man. Had like 13 grand children.

I didn't know the shorty's were rare at first but I have heard that a lot now.

Dump the shorties and get LTs. Pulley or larger blower. Intake. E85. Injectors and BAP.

Its straight up wierd that he did a cam swap but is still on the stock pulley.

I'm not wanting to deal with a catless car or the labor of installing headers. Pulley and CAI will come soon. Maybe a Whipple down the road.

On my 94 I heard BAPs are a no-no. Are they acceptable and common on the GT500's?

Do I need BAP with GT cams, pulley, and CAI?

I’d do the usual rear suspension mods.
I rode in a stock ‘07 years ago and it was wheelhop crazy.

Springs, LCA, and panhard bar is all I need right?

The tune would be MY 1st order of business.
Try to get hold of the previous owner's wife & pick her brain, maybe there is a hand held laying around her house...................good luck..

The car runs like stock, so with the current mods the tune seems great. I will retune with a pulley and CAI of course.

I've tried to reach out to the wife with no luck :(

I am going to need pics of the previous owners wife.

odd.

Enjoy it like it is for a while, then decide. I am sure the guys here can have you broke in 48 hours. Get a loan!

LOL! Yes that is my plan.

Comsider the Whipple 3.0 or VMP gen3R?

One day most likely but not yet.

I have an 07 convertible with VMP busts pump pulley in tune. I absolutely love my car. Make sure you get upper in lower control arms when you up power

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TY!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Yes RIP. I felt the need to read up on him and he seemed like a good man. Had like 13 grand children.

I didn't know the shorty's were rare at first but I have heard that a lot now.

I'm not wanting to deal with a catless car or the labor of installing headers. Pulley and CAI will come soon. Maybe a Whipple down the road.
A write up I did on the FRPP shorty headers some 10 years ago.

And one on the FRPP Whipple kit some 14 years ago. How time flies...

Mach1Stang

07 GT500
Established Member
A write up I did on the FRPP shorty headers some 10 years ago.

And one on the FRPP Whipple kit some 14 years ago. How time flies...

Yessir thanks for that great article! The first thing I read when I discovered what I had.

MGW 2 - First Mod. Drag Radials - Second mod. Do not drive the car with the factory original goodyears unless you want to end up like Paul Walker.

MGW is in the plans as well; forgot to mention.

It has brand new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 4s' on it now.

FJohnny

Established Member
If the old guy worked for Lockheed Martin for 40 years he's probably a conservative old school guy and was still with his first wife.

As she's probably gettin' on some would it be possible to post a pic of your new car with someone else's younger, hotter wife/girlfriend draped over it? Nothin' against the old gal. I'm sure she was a real looker back in the day but let's start your new ride out right, eh?

Much appreciated and congrats on the super low mile GT500!

Mach1Stang

07 GT500
Established Member
If the old guy worked for Lockheed Martin for 40 years he's probably a conservative old school guy and was still with his first wife.

As she's probably gettin' on some would it be possible to post a pic of your new car with someone else's younger, hotter wife/girlfriend draped over it? Nothin' against the old gal. I'm sure she was a real looker back in the day but let's start your new ride out right, eh?

Much appreciated and congrats on the super low mile GT500!

Feel free to send one my way and I'll get right on that

Users who are viewing this thread