Attention 2013 Owners wanting an aftermarket shifter MUST READ (pic inside)

Torchy

Established Member
So I have been having issues with my Barton short throw shifter in my 2013 GT. Basically it won't go into 1st gear from neutral sometimes. This was not an install issue. After talking to Barton today they told me that Ford made a mid year change and now has Canada making the housing that the shifter bolts to. They have had China or Mexico (can't remember) making this part from 2011 till now. The Canada part is .2 inches taller than all the rest of the 2011+ cars which is causing this issue. It also says "Made in Canada" which is depicted below. Shelby figured this issue out literally 2 weeks ago. We don't even know if Ford is aware of the change because these parts have the same part number.

Dave Sr. at Barton told me all of this after I was able to get a hold of him today. He told me to go take my shifter off my car, look down into the housing and measure it. If it is 2 inches deep exactly then it's the "new" Canada part. Also it will say "made in Canada". If it is the old part, 2011+ then it will measure out to 1.8 inches deep. Sure enough, I go to my garage, pull my shifter off the car real quick and it says "made in Canada".

He told me they have a new design on their Barton shifters that will accommodate the new and old design. He is overnighting me a new designed shifter and I am sending him my old one back all at his cost. Legit

In summary I am pretty sure the MGW takes care of this so if you buy an MGW (which I personally think are great shifters) then this doesn't apply to you. If you are buying any other brand you need to make sure it is a new design Barton or make sure the company knows about this. If they say you are crazy then call someone else. This is a real issue and is EXTREMELY NEW. I would be surprised if other manufactures know about this.

This is my other thread regarding the issue.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/904478-ever-had-mt-82-problem.html

FWIW my car was built 9/12

This is a pic of the inside of my shifter housing. Does yours say canada?
canada.jpg

01bluesnake

Established Member
Glad to see the problem has been found. You can finally enjoy the shifter, i loved my Barton. Amazing how something so small can make a big issue. Damn Ford and their mid year revisions lol.

Krace

Established Member
o_O Wow

I'm having the same problem with mine. I guess ill have to take a look at it when i have the time.

Soo do i have to get a new shifter now, if mine is made in Canada? Or will i be fine, if i just deal with it for awhile? Guess ill be looken to buy the MGW now. :/

Just an fyi mine is a 2012 built on 01/15/2012.

Last edited:

Torchy

Established Member
Glad to see the problem has been found. You can finally enjoy the shifter, i loved my Barton. Amazing how something so small can make a big issue. Damn Ford and their mid year revisions lol.
Cheers, I'll def post back when They send me a new one. Also I will take note of their modifications to see what they "changed" on them to make them compatible with 2011+ plus parts.

o_O Wow

I'm having the same problem with mine. I guess ill have to take a look at it when i have the time.

Soo do i have to get a new shifter now, if mine is made in Canada? Or will i be fine, if i just deal with it for awhile? Guess ill be looken to buy the MGW now. :/

Just an fyi mine is a 2012 built on 01/15/2012.

Interesting on the build date. I know this is going to confuse things but Dave told me that both countries are making the part so maybe they are mixed or Canada started making the part sooner than what I thought.

The only way to find out is if you take your shifter off and either measure it or look for the words. If so then just email them and they should just send you a new one and you just send them back your old one. Tell them about this story. It literally happened today to me so they will know what your talking about.

If your not made in canada then PM me. You might have a different problem. Some people are shimming the shifter linkage to help it out.

I just so happen to be talking to Adam at JHR (the clutch line people) and they are unaware of it.

CobraHuck

Established Member
Wow, that's wild! Glad you got it figured out. I'll never understand why they do such odd mid year revisions when it causes problems 9 times outta 10

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Damn, if this was literally a mid-model change sometime in 2012, I'm very curious to see when it occured.

Edit: Just saw your reply in the other thread...my car was built July 11, 2012, so I have the feeling that I fall into this...

I am taking my car in for an oil change tomorrow morning....I wonder if I should mention this to the service dept....I have the Barton 2-post on mine as well, but the onyl time it hasn't allowed me to go into first is when I am switching from reverse...

Last edited:

ATTFighter

Established Member
Wow I have been trying to find this issue for a while. I have the same shifter in my 2013 gt and I get locked out of first from neutral quite a bit. I just called Dave he's an awesome guy and hes sending me the fixed shifter ASAP thank you!!!

scott_0

Established Member
great info! glad Dave over at Barton took care of you

Users who are viewing this thread