Ever had this MT-82 problem?

Torchy

Established Member
After driving on the highway for 15mins or more, when I come to a stop, put it back into 1st and it won't go into first from neutral. I don't downshift to stop and use the brakes. It locks me out of first or second. I have to row through 3rd and 4th then try 2rd then 1st to get it into first sometimes.

It doesn't happen all the time but seems to have happened more lately.

2013 GT, barton shifter, stock bracket, Amsoil MTG been in for 300-400 miles now. Was swapped at 3700 miles.

Any ideas?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Sounds like a 1-4 skip shift malfunction since it's **** blocking 2 and 3. Is the skip shift solenoid unplugged or still connected?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
My trans does some strange shit too. The other day I was in second and decided to go WOT. I went to shift into third and damn if I could not find third or fifth, WTF, I was pissed. I finally found fourth then third after nearly coasting to a stop.

Before I upgraded to DOT 4 fluid and disconnected the skip shift this shit would happen all the time. It doesn't happen often now but before I was at the point I was ready to ditch the car. I plan on upgrading the shifter to see if it make thinks better.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Really? Well I'm glad my tune fixed that lol

Yes it was only used on the 11-12 an got rid of it for the 2013. Im guessing it was causing some issue with lock outs an ford decided to try an fix it by dumbing the skip shift.

corruptor

Established Member
Yes it was only used on the 11-12 an got rid of it for the 2013. Im guessing it was causing some issue with lock outs an ford decided to try an fix it by dumbing the skip shift.

Interesting. Guess that would also explain the lower city MPG rating of the 2013s.

I've never been locked out of any gears and am currently running stock fluid. Have DOT4 waiting to be installed; keeps raining on weekends here.

CoreyHM1

Established Member
i saw it more of a safety hazard. We all know first gear is short, nothing is better than accidentally pulling out in front of someone and shifting to second to get the hell out of the way when the damn skip shift locks you out of gear. I almost had an accident due to that "feature"

byeofcr

Established Member
Yup still have this issue. Tho i officially give zero ****s after the ordeal i went thru with my trans. They thought it was the slave culinder they thought it was this or that. Turns out it just does it.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
i believe you have to get a tuner to delete it. my lund 93 tune has the skip shift delete.

You can unplug the connector above the FILL sign on the passenger side of the tranny. You still get the dash warning but I just laugh at it now.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
any lights on in the dash drive me CRAZY!!!
i didnt buy a 35k car and put 5k in it to have a light telling me somethings wrong.

Last edited:

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Speaking of things that drive me crazy, was the Notre Dame offense practicing on a wider field for the past 37 days? Haven't seen a beating like this since Rodney King.

alex12gt

Established Member
I had the issue in my 2011 for a little while but the car also turned out to have a junk tranny....or several
I should say but havnt had the issue with my 12

Torchy

Established Member
Thanks for all the input guys.

So it sounds like we are all over the place. So far we have

+1 for never had this happen
+1 for had this happen and eventually tranny blew up
+1 for this is normal
and +1 for Notre Dame sucking

My car was built 9/12 so if the 2013 didn't come with skip shift then I doubt my car has it. I do have to agree with an earlier poster saying that this would doubtfully be a skip shift issue anyway. I have never experienced any other gear lockout.

I'm pretty easy the on car with the occasional "spirited" wot runs. Never really missed a gear. It shifts smoothly and I don't have any complaints except for this. It happened today to me twice. The second time I intentionally tried to replicate it in an attempt to troubleshoot it. It has happened 3 or 4 other times.

The last time it happened I was on the highway, in mexico, for about 3-5 minutes at 90-120mph in 6th gear. Had to come to a stop because I hit traffic. When I went to go back to first it took 8-12 attempts and pumping of the clutch it try to get it in gear. I was NOT pushing down on the shifter either. This scenario was on the stock fluid on 12/26/12. Don't ask me how I know that.

Fluid was changed on 12/29/12

I don't think it is a fluid issue. This never happened with the stock shifter. I also only had the stock shifter on for the first 600 miles.

FWIW I got amsoil DOT4 brake fluid today and ordered a barton 2 post shifter bracket last week. I will be installing both tomorrow. I will attempt to replicate again after these changes. I didn't buy these parts to fix the problem as these are things I have been wanting to do anyway. I doubt either of them will fix it because I think its an internal tranny issue but I'll keep everyone posted here.

i saw it more of a safety hazard. We all know first gear is short, nothing is better than accidentally pulling out in front of someone and shifting to second to get the hell out of the way when the damn skip shift locks you out of gear. I almost had an accident due to that "feature"

I totally agree with this. One of the worst things ever invented... ever

Last edited:

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
its crazy how that straight stretch of highway in mexico always seems to have traffic come up when your topping 120.
maybe the slave cylinder has some air bubbles in it......

Torchy

Established Member
its crazy how that straight stretch of highway in mexico always seems to have traffic come up when your topping 120.
maybe the slave cylinder has some air bubbles in it......
Yeah I know, crazy Mexican traffic. I've never changed anything on my clutch set-up but I can say this. When I go WOT my clutch will stick down to the floor in high RPM and will feel very squishy at high RPM. I'd say 50% of the time it will only come up 50-60% to the top. It's never stayed pegged to the floor though.

I think I'm in denial about it.

Users who are viewing this thread