No Power Steering, P0308 Code, and other crap .. Suggestions?

03Cobra1979

Established Member
My wife and I were driving home the other day and the CEL light came on. When I got home I check the light it was codes P0300 & P0308. So I decide that I will clear the codes flash it to factory and see if it happens again.

I start the car and drive maybe 5 miles and the CEL light reappears. So I check the codes and it is the same two. random Miss fire and Cylinder #8 miss fire. But this time I could tell the car was clearly running on only 7 cylinders. I had a loss of power and lots of shaking at idle.

I get home I swap COP #2 with COP #8 and clear the codes and see if I get a cylinder #2 miss fire. I still popped up with #8

So then I decided I am going to change the plugs. I was taking out the plugs and my wrench slipped and hit the positive battery terminal. It throws a small spark and I say SHIT! and finish swapping the plugs.

I go to start the car and it instantly says service advance track, When i go to back it out of the drive there is no power steering. It is still idling rough so new plugs did not cure the problem either.

I looked at all the fuses none seem blown. I could not find in the owners manual where the fuses for these two items might be located either.

Anyway I am open to suggestions before I just have it towed off to ford on Monday.

P.S. sorry for the novel.

Entrenched

Established Member
My wife and I were driving home the other day and the CEL light came on. When I got home I check the light it was codes P0300 & P0308. So I decide that I will clear the codes flash it to factory and see if it happens again.

I start the car and drive maybe 5 miles and the CEL light reappears. So I check the codes and it is the same two. random Miss fire and Cylinder #8 miss fire. But this time I could tell the car was clearly running on only 7 cylinders. I had a loss of power and lots of shaking at idle.

I get home I swap COP #2 with COP #8 and clear the codes and see if I get a cylinder #2 miss fire. I still popped up with #8

So then I decided I am going to change the plugs. I was taking out the plugs and my wrench slipped and hit the positive battery terminal. It throws a small spark and I say SHIT! and finish swapping the plugs.

I go to start the car and it instantly says service advance track, When i go to back it out of the drive there is no power steering. It is still idling rough so new plugs did not cure the problem either.

I looked at all the fuses none seem blown. I could not find in the owners manual where the fuses for these two items might be located either.

Anyway I am open to suggestions before I just have it towed off to ford on Monday.

I made the same mistake; cylinder 8 is the rear cylinder on the driver's side. You changed and moved cylinder 4 if you hit the battery. Good luck.

Owner manual: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOBMUS/~MUS~LEN/42/11musog3e.pdf

JL-KA

Established Member
Just hope and pray they don't void your warranty. Be sure to get plenty of drive cycles before you take it in. Some have said 50 miles does the trick but that it has to be varied driving. Not just highway. Not sure how true that is but I'd still do it.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
You might want to have a compression test done. cylinder number 8 is a known problem area

SicShelby09

Banned

My advise is......STOP trying to diagnose and fix a car that is still under factory warranty. You did yourself no favors. It just goes to show that even changing plugs, you can really f something up. Lesson learned.
:nonono:

Svt-Rich

V
Established Member
My advise is......STOP trying to diagnose and fix a car that is still under factory warranty. You did yourself no favors. It just goes to show that even changing plugs, you can really f something up. Lesson learned.

Agreed, just take it in.

03Cobra1979

Established Member

I am not the worried about my warranty. If it isn't covered I will just tinker more and get it fixed. After all it is only money and gives me a reason to upgrade. I was just seeing if anyone had made the same stupid mistake I have.

Itsdafiveoh

Established Member
Sounds like tuners need to find out why the #8 cylinder is having these issues. Is it just lean from being in a hot zone or is less fuel getting there? Maybe a tune tossing slightly more fuel on Cylinder 8 would help, who knows.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Sounds like tuners need to find out why the #8 cylinder is having these issues. Is it just lean from being in a hot zone or is less fuel getting there? Maybe a tune tossing slightly more fuel on Cylinder 8 would help, who knows.

I am thinking the same thing. I pulled the plug it looked good. Check the oil for metal flake it looked good. I drove it to ford today and dropped it off. If it is a screwed cylinder I am going forged short block.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
I am thinking the same thing. I pulled the plug it looked good. Check the oil for metal flake it looked good. I drove it to ford today and dropped it off. If it is a screwed cylinder I am going forged short block.

yea the plugs look fine on mine also dry nice tan coloring with no peppering . the issue with that cyl. is the upper ring rolls over the top of the piston and you lose compression

ViciousJay

Established Member
reasons like this makes me wanna throw my stock midpipe back on just in case i need to go back to the dealer

Last edited:

JL-KA

Established Member

One of the 15,000 engine knock threads mentioned that the knock sensors don't pick up #8 very well or something along those lines.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
Did ford cover it? Or did you have to pay for it out of pocket??

lol paying for it as we speak and boy the bill is growing. the car was returned to stock and they said they could tell it had a tune on it so no warranty for me... then i fought it for a month to no avail.

Last edited:

Itsdafiveoh

Established Member
One of the 15,000 engine knock threads mentioned that the knock sensors don't pick up #8 very well or something along those lines.

If its a factory defect and seems like those with tunes are the ones with the issues, I doubt Ill get a tune just for that reason till its addressed.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Well for an update the ford Tech called me and said he thinks it is a bad spark plug... I just had them out yesterday looked great. He said he had to order in the plugs since Ford calls for "special plugs" to go into the car. They looked like iridium plugs when I pulled them.. But hell I am no plug expert.

Last edited:

1Quick4.6

Established Member
Well for an update the ford Tech called me and said he thinks it is a bad spark plug... I just had them out yesterday looked great. He said he had to order in the plugs since Ford calls for "special plugs" to go into the car. They looked like iridium plugs when I pulled them.. But hell I am no plug expert.

Thats great dude. wail its there see if they'll do a relative compression test for piece of mind. it only takes 5 min to do they hook it up to there computer to the obd port and crank it waa la.

Last edited:

ncarter124

Established Member
Based on what I have heard I don't buy the spark plug story, I'm betting #8 is rolled and it'll need a new motor. I hate to be a downer but like was mentioned above the #8 cylinder is the issue on the Coyote. I read the knock sensor story as well and yes it does seem to be those running tuners. OP, are you running a tune on that?

Last edited:

DWalker

Established Member
Are all of these #8 cylinder problems coming from early run 11's or is it a range of build dates? I'm gonna be getting one soon and this kinda makes me wonder....

Users who are viewing this thread