2013 Shelby GT500 brakes, are they bad?

Imatk

Established Member
What are your opinions on the braking system? Motortrend hates them and says they're absolutely terrible. Hard to believe since they're Brembos. Ford Shelby GT500 vs Chevrolet Camaro ZL1! - Head 2 Head Episode 11 - YouTube Heres the link for reference, Im sure most of you have watched this video already.

I don't know that they said they were "absolutely terrible."

They did say they faded much faster than the Camaro brakes.

If you plan to track the car then you might want to look into a brake upgrade according to them. If you don't then the stock brakes will work just fine for you.

Forgoten214

Established Member
Not looking to track just looking to drive on windy twisty back roads at moderate speeds. I'm also looking for a convertible.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I drove the tail of the dragon- 318 curves in 11 miles- and I did it with "spirit" not once did I ever feel my brakes were weak.

Don't believe everything you read in a magazine or you watch on a YouTube video.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If they had put a more track oriented pad on the car, they would have thousands of complaints about brake noise and dust.

A car that is capable of these track times in bone stock form, technically needs at least a track pad, if not a full race pad to take full advantage of the awesome 15" Brembos the car came with.

An OE pad is always a compromise of some sort.

When I first started tracking with my 04 Cobra I knew the first day that the OE street pads were not the optimal choice for track duty.

On slower performance cars a typical performance OE stock street pad will not be challenged as much and their short comings will not be as apparent as a street pad on a 2013 GT500.
Lets face it, not many performance cars out there are going to be expecting this much from their brakes.

If you are tracking the car save the OE pads for street driving and use a dedicated track pad for the HPDE work.
Those of us that have done more that a few track events already know this and it is considered standard operating procedure.

It's only an issue for the magazine guys because they can't change pads.

FACT: A really good street pad that is quiet and has good cold grip is never going to be as effective as a track specific pad or race pad.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i'd suggest reading every other review that raves about the fade free brakes of the GT500. the motortrend review is an obvious outlier as far as the brake comments are concerned.

NametoShowOther

Established Member
search for Revan racing on the forum blowing away the ZL1 - no change in brake pad, but changed the brake fluid no brake fade.

Do not know home many tests the car that Motortrend had endured, whether the brake fluid got cooked, etc. etc. Most reviews showed the GT500 having excellent brakes - real world feedback from those tracking it has been excellent. So ignore the outlier review and change the brake fluid for track days - enjoy.

See Van's posts for more information

specizripn

Established Member
They are BRMBO 6 PISTONS! You cant fit bigger brakes! They are biased, the GT500 won the majority of events in all of the magazines and the ZL1 won because of "How smooth the ride was", because the magazines make most of their money off of GM ads, so they didn't want to upset their "employer". I have heard that the stock pads aren't the greatest, so don't buy new brakes, buy new pads. If your really going all out tracking the car you may be able to fit bigger rotors, and maybe outfit some brake ducts, but honestly with new pads and ss lines, the stock brakes will do wonders...

finsrin

Established Member
Talked with Shelby technician. They plan a brake upgrade for 2013 Super Snake.
Also might be a level 1 and level 2 of Super Snake.

Last edited:

Forgoten214

Established Member
I see, I was just kinda upset when I heard how much they was bashing these 6 piston Brembos. They made it look like something that came off an economy car like a Focus and slapped them onto the Shelby. Everything else I like, I hate the Camaro's seating position and visibility that's a deal breaker for me. I love the way Shelbys ride and seating position personally. The newest I've driven was a 2011 GT500 but it was amazing, I'm hoping the 2013 is equal or better than the one I've driven. I definitely want a convertible, but the brakes are definitely kind of important, I don't want like a mushy economy brake type of feel in a high performance car like this. Haven't driven the ZL1 but drove the SS many times and I didn't like it.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
So you are comparing the two cars on which one to purchase?

The GT500 is faster on the street- faster on most tracks and stays much cooler. There is no BS breakin period and no gas guzzler tax.

You want a vert? The Camaro is known for convertible top problems. The Mustang is not. A vert ZL1 will come it at what 4400lbs?

The ZL1 is a good car. The GT500 car is the really good car.

The gt500 brakes are NOT an issue- 1 magazine had an isolated event, which has been proven in the real world to not be true.

Good luck in your search

Last edited:

Forgoten214

Established Member
Sort of, just justifying the purchase is more like it. The Camaro is not really an option for me as it's not comfortable for me to drive. Looking for a drop top powerful car preferably American that's not insanely priced. Otherwise I'd buy a R8 Spyder.
So you are comparing the two cars on which one to purchase?

The GT500 is faster on the street- faster on most tracks and stays much cooler. There is no BS breakin period and no gas guzzler tax.

You want a vert? The Camaro is known for convertible top problems. The Mustang is not. A vert ZL1 will come it at what 4400lbs?

The ZL1 is a good car. The GT500 car is the really good car.

The gt500 brakes are NOT an issue- 1 magazine had an isolated event, which has been proven in the real world to not be true.

Good luck in your search

NY Eleanor

Established Member
The newest I've driven was a 2011 GT500 but it was amazing, I'm hoping the 2013 is equal or better than the one I've driven. I definitely want a convertible, but the brakes are definitely kind of important, I don't want like a mushy economy brake type of feel in a high performance car like this. Haven't driven the ZL1 but drove the SS many times and I didn't like it.

Before ordering mine and breaking a "rule" I've had since 2000 about driving the actual car itself, I test drove a 2011 coupe with 3000 miles. There was enough to like that I knew the 2013 would be a lot better, and it is. On the brakes I can tell you there's no mush. They have good initial bite and proper modulation. My friend's 2012 Boss 302 not so much but it's not Brembo's fault. My 911 TT had them and feel was similar to Boss 302. My SRT Charger has them and bite/modulation similar to 2013 GT500. That is to say often times more "track-oriented" cars designed to have less initial bite and more pressure needed. GT500 set up proper for the street. Personally, I like good initial bite and if that's what you like there's zero disappointments with the GT500.

Forgoten214

Established Member
I hear you on that, I agree I'd never spend money on a car I haven't driven first or atleast been inside of. I've driven other Shelbys so I'd only assume the new one would be better but the comfort level is what would concern me.

I was looking at a Nissan Z convertible and at the Nissan dealer your not even allowed to drive them until you buy it. Same goes for Lotus. Kind of upset me because the most important thing for me is to make sure I'm comfortable while driving. If you're not comfortable you're not going to drive the car, it's just that simple.

I hear what you're saying on the brakes I'm not in anyway bashing Shelby, the GT500 is one of my favorite cars I've ever driven. I'd take it over several Lamborghinis' and Ferraris' I've driven and I'm not just saying that because it's a SVT/Shelby forum site. It's just the perfect balance of everything I need/want from a high performance vehicle.

Haven't driven the Boss, Not sure why honestly maybe because I want a drop top. I always get fascinated with the Shelby and I've actually really been considering the GT350 lately. 2013 GT350 looks very beautiful. I'm not sure of the exact differences between the GT350 and GT500 but they look interesting that's for sure. I've never seen or driven a GT350 but I hear they're more for the track and less power similar to the Camaro ZL1 counterpart.

I'm not looking for a super high end track ready supercar I just want something to do some twistys and have fun with the top down and brakes are pretty important as sometimes on twistys there can be blind corners or turns you need to stop in a hurry for.

What year was your 911 TT? I'd love the air cooled version from the 90s. 993 body style. They're still the same price they were when they came out in the 90s which is amazing. I've never seen any car hold its value u like that before.

Before ordering mine and breaking a "rule" I've had since 2000 about driving the actual car itself, I test drove a 2011 coupe with 3000 miles. There was enough to like that I knew the 2013 would be a lot better, and it is. On the brakes I can tell you there's no mush. They have good initial bite and proper modulation. My friend's 2012 Boss 302 not so much but it's not Brembo's fault. My 911 TT had them and feel was similar to Boss 302. My SRT Charger has them and bite/modulation similar to 2013 GT500. That is to say often times more "track-oriented" cars designed to have less initial bite and more pressure needed. GT500 set up proper for the street. Personally, I like good initial bite and if that's what you like there's zero disappointments with the GT500.

NY Eleanor

Established Member
I was looking at a Nissan Z convertible and at the Nissan dealer your not even allowed to drive them until you buy it. Same goes for Lotus. Kind of upset me because the most important thing for me is to make sure I'm comfortable while driving. If you're not comfortable you're not going to drive the car, it's just that simple.

I hear what you're saying on the brakes I'm not in anyway bashing Shelby, the GT500 is one of my favorite cars I've ever driven. I'd take it over several Lamborghinis' and Ferraris' I've driven and I'm not just saying that because it's a SVT/Shelby forum site. It's just the perfect balance of everything I need/want from a high performance vehicle.

Haven't driven the Boss, Not sure why honestly maybe because I want a drop top. I always get fascinated with the Shelby and I've actually really been considering the GT350 lately. 2013 GT350 looks very beautiful. I'm not sure of the exact differences between the GT350 and GT500 but they look interesting that's for sure. I've never seen or driven a GT350 but I hear they're more for the track and less power similar to the Camaro ZL1 counterpart.

I'm not looking for a super high end track ready supercar I just want something to do some twistys and have fun with the top down and brakes are pretty important as sometimes on twistys there can be blind corners or turns you need to stop in a hurry for.

What year was your 911 TT? I'd love the air cooled version from the 90s. 993 body style. They're still the same price they were when they came out in the 90s which is amazing. I've never seen any car hold its value u like that before.

I think the GT500 convertible would work well for you based on your described use. GT350 is nice and a "true" Shelby but you'll pay dearly for that. Nothing wrong with doing that though.

Excepting a few hyper exotics if you aren't a known buyer, dealers who don't allow test-drives are jokers. Nissan, really? Lotus? They only have 1 "outdated" product...

My 1st and only Porsche was 2002 911TT highly modified and maybe too much for the street. Fast as hell but coil-overs/etc. beat you up. Mildly done a GREAT street car. If it had a back seat I would have bought 2011 GT-3 instead of GT500 because it is basically perfect. The 993 (air cooled) and before drive OK but it's just another example of people desiring "older" cars over newer but they are in no way better. Different yes, but still old and maybe you can get away with liking the "rawness" or sound...

Forgoten214

Established Member
The GT350 is a hefty price tag over the GT500 which is odd because I think in the 60s it was the other way around. It seems to me more of a collectors piece more than anything.

Yes sir, Im not sure if its just me but every import dealership I've been to usually gives me a dirty look if I ask for a test drive. I can drive a brand new C63 black series and S63 off the Mercedes lot and brand new Vettes a Viper among others and nobody minds but the Nissan/Lotus dealer is a different story. You can't even start the vehicles until you've paid for it. I asked them to sit in it and they didn't like that too much either but I needed to see if I would like it I wasn't there to seek their approval I was there to research vehicles. Are the dealerships in NY similar to the ones in Jersey or PA, are they friendly especially with test drives and inspection of vehicles? Its ok though Im not really interested in either because they're a little on the small side for me. I'm 6'6 290 so finding a sports car that is rather enjoyable to drive can be a task at hand. I had high hopes for the SL63 Roadster but I didn't fit in that either. I still have a long list of potential vehicles I'd like to check out but the Shelby seems to be the most well rounded and practical choice in terms of quality and pound per dollar. Also insurance is not as high due to it being a "4 seater" as some of the others I've mentioned. I just test drive a Viper SRT10 Roadster for 65k that I had high hopes for but it was very crude to drive. I was mainly interested in the GTR at the Nissan dealership but they laughed when I asked them for it. Kind of like as if I went in and asked for a Bugatti Veyron or something. :D

Ive driven 911s and Caymans both are very small for me especially the Cayman. Although it seems in my area a lot of people have 911s such as doctors or the elderly which is not entirely the look I'm going for as I'm in my 20s. Nothing wrong with that but I'd still like to stay closer to my generations appeal.

I see that you're in Long Island. I'm very familiar with Long Island and I grew up in NYC. Are there any dealerships that you would recommend or anyone that has any 2013 Shelbys on the lot or a short waiting list? I just hate to pay the New York tax but if I can get an advancement on the order or a fair price I might just do that.

I've looked at several Ferraris as well but the maintenance especially with an older one must be astronomical. I was looking at a 360 Spider that was about 79k. Great car, amazing actually just not sure if the maintenance and insurance would destroy me.

Sorry for going off topic here everyone.

I think the GT500 convertible would work well for you based on your described use. GT350 is nice and a "true" Shelby but you'll pay dearly for that. Nothing wrong with doing that though.

Excepting a few hyper exotics if you aren't a known buyer, dealers who don't allow test-drives are jokers. Nissan, really? Lotus? They only have 1 "outdated" product...

My 1st and only Porsche was 2002 911TT highly modified and maybe too much for the street. Fast as hell but coil-overs/etc. beat you up. Mildly done a GREAT street car. If it had a back seat I would have bought 2011 GT-3 instead of GT500 because it is basically perfect. The 993 (air cooled) and before drive OK but it's just another example of people desiring "older" cars over newer but they are in no way better. Different yes, but still old and maybe you can get away with liking the "rawness" or sound...

NY Eleanor

Established Member
The GT350 is a hefty price tag over the GT500 which is odd because I think in the 60s it was the other way around. It seems to me more of a collectors piece more than anything.

Yes sir, Im not sure if its just me but every import dealership I've been to usually gives me a dirty look if I ask for a test drive. I can drive a brand new C63 black series and S63 off the Mercedes lot and brand new Vettes a Viper among others and nobody minds but the Nissan/Lotus dealer is a different story. You can't even start the vehicles until you've paid for it. I asked them to sit in it and they didn't like that too much either but I needed to see if I would like it I wasn't there to seek their approval I was there to research vehicles. Are the dealerships in NY similar to the ones in Jersey or PA, are they friendly especially with test drives and inspection of vehicles? Its ok though Im not really interested in either because they're a little on the small side for me. I'm 6'6 290 so finding a sports car that is rather enjoyable to drive can be a task at hand. I had high hopes for the SL63 Roadster but I didn't fit in that either. I still have a long list of potential vehicles I'd like to check out but the Shelby seems to be the most well rounded and practical choice in terms of quality and pound per dollar. Also insurance is not as high due to it being a "4 seater" as some of the others I've mentioned. I just test drive a Viper SRT10 Roadster for 65k that I had high hopes for but it was very crude to drive. I was mainly interested in the GTR at the Nissan dealership but they laughed when I asked them for it. Kind of like as if I went in and asked for a Bugatti Veyron or something. :D

Ive driven 911s and Caymans both are very small for me especially the Cayman. Although it seems in my area a lot of people have 911s such as doctors or the elderly which is not entirely the look I'm going for as I'm in my 20s. Nothing wrong with that but I'd still like to stay closer to my generations appeal.

I see that you're in Long Island. I'm very familiar with Long Island and I grew up in NYC. Are there any dealerships that you would recommend or anyone that has any 2013 Shelbys on the lot or a short waiting list? I just hate to pay the New York tax but if I can get an advancement on the order or a fair price I might just do that.

I've looked at several Ferraris as well but the maintenance especially with an older one must be astronomical. I was looking at a 360 Spider that was about 79k. Great car, amazing actually just not sure if the maintenance and insurance would destroy me.

Sorry for going off topic here everyone.

If in PA at the moment: Woodloch Pines
You're a big guy and that makes any sports/sporting car an issue. Seat width and head-clearance probably tough.
Plenty of dealers, some A-holes and some nice but it takes 10 seconds to figure out who's who. I've never had an issue driving a car I wanted but sometimes it takes time.
I don't really know if any GT500 sitting, but if they were it's because dealer looking for big mark-up.
I liked Vipers from outside but being inside them told me no. Your best bet on a GT-R is find one for sale private to see/drive. Local dealer had new one but that was rare and I'm sure they wouldn't let anyone drive it more than a block.
Ferrari service is costly due to parts and VERY high labor rate. 360 was the first one actually meant to be driven regularly but still. It's a BIG chance you'd be taking IMO.
You wouldn't pay NY tax if you reside in PA. I've bought cars out of state and you pay your own state's sales tax when you register it.

Users who are viewing this thread