2013 Shelby GT500 brakes, are they bad?

Yellow Horse

Established Member
What are your opinions on the braking system? Motortrend hates them and says they're absolutely terrible. Hard to believe since they're Brembos. Ford Shelby GT500 vs Chevrolet Camaro ZL1! - Head 2 Head Episode 11 - YouTube Heres the link for reference, Im sure most of you have watched this video already.

I just did a bunch of mods on a buddy's 2013. Compared to my 2010, his 2013 almost threw me through the windshield when I mashed on the brakes. There is no comparison to my 2010.

ZL1 owners are complaining about tires and pads wearing our prematurely. Gubamint Motors put race car parts on that butt ugly hunk of crap just so it could beat a 2013 GT500 by a tenth or two on a road course. And that's on smaller road courses.

Paul1138

Established Member
Not sure where you have been- but other than 2 mag drivers. There has been a very very small amount of brake complaints.
In fact- many people, real racers from this site have raved about the brakes after a simple fluid change.

That being said there aren't "brake fade issues" that you speak of that are wide spread.

There are multiple- and I mean multiple threads on this.

Exactly. Old friends of mine who have been tracking for years, mentioned adding RBF600 and stainless lines and you're good to go. I am doing this before my first track day on 4/8

dodfox

The 'newer' rear brake pads (DR3Z*2200*B - $96.61 list), that are found on only the last approx. 250 of the 2013 GT500s, and so far, all of the 2014s, are NOW available through Ford Parts. These rear pads were previously listed as an 'invalid part number.' These rear brake pads were a 'running' change to GT500s as of 12/21/12.

Users who are viewing this thread