Powerpipe or.....

scotts99snake

Established Member
I saw a thread on here not too long ago about home made powerpipes. A couple of them looked pretty good. While my car is off the road over the winter I was thinking about building one. Then, I just saw this http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1064051 Do you think there is any validity to it being as good as a powerpipe? Seeing as though the air is being drawn right from the engine compartment, I don't know what to think. Any thoughts?

allgo90

Established Member
ive always thought about doing this as well. even the filter mesh screen the tubro guys use.

80blue

Established Member
I had this but decided it was ghey. Im just making a homemade powerpipe deal but the filter will end up behind my pass headlight,not in the fender. I do kinda wonder if you'd see more boost from just using a filter with no pipe.
ppatchppyth056.jpg

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Pretty cool, I am still running draw thru so I can't do this yet. But when I go blow thru i'd like to make some kind of custom pipe that still runs in the fender well, but has some type of cutout right behind the headlight, so when I go to the track I can cap the end by the fenderwell and pull the headlight out and throw on a filter in that area for when I hit the track, just an idea though for now.

4stang6

Established Member
or what i did... i went to my neariest diesel performance shop and bought a 90 Degree Exhaust Bend Pipe for 40 bucks then used one of my JLT Cold Air Intake couplers and fit perfect,also used my JLT Intake Air Filter......True 4" Power Pipe for only 45 bucks !!!

spot on the pipe is where my hood rubed on it before i brought it down more

l_d5346b045e6cdac1d73df9752e143038.jpg

SLOWNED

Established Member
I wonder if the IAT's are higher with the filter and no pipe...Can anyone with this set up datalog a lil?

SLOWNED

Established Member
Any updates? Im thinking about goin this route when i do my blow through set up. It makes the engine bay look so much simpler

scotts99snake

Established Member
I am still waiting too cybr7678x. I am either going this route or building a powerpipe over the winter. I have a few months to wait...lol.

SLOWNED

Established Member
lol im planning on having the conversion done this weekend. I already have a powerpipe and i hate how crammed my engine bay looks.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
4stang6 that looks good..

I have no idea why i've never thought of using an exhaust turn down.

You guys with 4 inch inlet pipes, did you notice an increase in boost?

And Scotts, with a 3.9" pulley what kind of boost do you see 8# er so?

GTSSTANG

Established Member
Logically you should see a little bit more flow with just the filter vs a Powepipe.

Yet, the power pipe I used was a larger diameter than the blower inlet. I am sure there is a calculation that you could use to figure the gains.

I would wager at 8 - 15 PSI you won't see much if any gain by switching from a Powerpipe to a only a filter.

And on some of the filter only setups I would think that the engine heat would decrease the power unless you had a direct fresh air source, like the big turbo race guys use...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread