Cobra R's 101 - Snipes Ford question

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
The '95 Cobra R's that were sponsored by Snipes Ford, was that the Snipes Ford dealership out of Goldsboro NC?

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
The '95 Cobra R's that were sponsored by Snipes Ford, was that the Snipes Ford dealership out of Goldsboro NC?

Yes, Snipes Motorsports had four chassis they campained as Cobra R's.

Chassis One was a real Cobra R (#24 of 250) and it was last raced at Road Atlanta in 1996 where it was involved in a multicar wreck. This chassis is currently in TX awaiting restoration.

Snipes_26_1996.jpg

scan0011.jpg

Chassis Two was built from a mule car to replace Chassis One. I believe it debuted at Watkins Glen 1996. It was sold to JBS racing who raced it until it was replaced by a 2003 Cobra. This chassis is currently in MD and participates in SCCA solo events and open tracking.

97-4-5-31.jpg

Chassis Three was built from a Hurricane car and started racing in 1997. It was raced by Snipes Motorsports until it was retired. This chassis is currently in CO.

97-9-8-121.jpg

Chassis Four was built from a Hurricane car and started racing in 1997. It won the Road Atlanta race. It was last raced at the Sebring October event where it wrecked. I own this chassis and it is currently awaiting restoration.

scan0005-1.jpg

scan0007_small.jpg

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
How is it that a teeny tiny dealership like Snipes Ford was so connected with those at Ford Motorsport/SVT/SVO and was able to campaign as many cars as they did?

I remember going to the dealership as a kid and looking around at all the hi-po stuff they always had on the lot or the glass showcases in the parts department that were chock-full of what was then Ford Motorsport parts, now Ford Racing. Brings back some good memories.

steve121

Established Member
Yes, Snipes Motorsports had four chassis they campained as Cobra R's.

Chassis Two was built from a mule car to replace Chassis One. I believe it debuted at Watkins Glen 1996. It was sold to JBS racing who raced it until it was replaced by a 2003 Cobra. This chassis is currently in MD and participates in SCCA solo events and open tracking.

Todd,
A friend of mine is buying the 2003 Cobra from JBS, we're going to pick it up on the 28th. Do you have any additional information on the 2003 car?

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Todd,
A friend of mine is buying the 2003 Cobra from JBS, we're going to pick it up on the 28th. Do you have any additional information on the 2003 car?

Steve, I don't know much about the history of the JBS 03 Cobra. Grand Am restricted those cars pretty badly. The 03/04 Cobras didn't have the power on the track that they did on the dyno and they got horrible gas mileage. I know Jim was not happy with the restrictions to the point that he quit racing GAC until the FR500C came out. I'm sure with the restrictions removed it should be a great car for your friend.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I got my Zippo 2005 Koni Challenge car from Jim. He told me quite a bit about the 2003 car. He said it was raced once and said it was never raced because the rules killed it.

Last edited:

steve121

Established Member
I'm not sure if they had 2 cars but it looks like they raced twice that year. Once at WGI http://www.grand-am.com/assets/2003KONIRaceResults-06.pdf
and once at Mid-Ohio http://www.grand-am.com/assets/2003KONIRaceResults-07.pdf. If I remember correctly Jim mentioned that GA wanted him to reduce boost to a maximum of 4 pounds which he didn't think was possible, or fair. The car currently has a FRPP aluminum block NA 302 modular engine in it. Jim was nice enough to let Frank take it out at a track day back in April at WGI. The event organizer let me follow Frank with my car for a private 3 lap session. The car should make a fun open track toy.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
So, um, yeah, back to my question...

How is it that a teeny tiny dealership like Snipes Ford was so connected with those at Ford Motorsport/SVT/SVO and was able to campaign as many cars as they did?

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
So, um, yeah, back to my question...

Early on Chuck Snipes payed the Hacker Brothers (Hacker Express) to provide race support, racecar transportation, crew, etc. Chuck provided the 95R and just showed up at the track and raced. At some point Chuck decided to handle the logistics as Snipes Motorsports and provide those services to paying customers. Starting with just one car he was able to grow his team to three cars for a period of time. Eventually they went back to just one car after a couple years of running a multicar team. I believe the key to the whole thing is that Chuck was a racer. Providing those services to other racers helped to offset his costs of racing.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Back in the mid '90s, would Chuck Snipes have been an older guy (in his 50's or early 60's) or a younger guy (maybe 30's)? Reason I ask is that I remember an older guy that raced a white Thunderbird that was sponsored by Snipes Ford at an asphalt track local to Goldsboro. If I'm not mistaken that car was driven by someone from the Snipes family, maybe Chuck?

steeda_007

Established Member
Picture of Chuck et al

Here is a picture of Chuck (in the driving suit). I'll hazard a guess that the gal is his wife and the older gent is his dad. Chuck can't be much older than 50 today...

Don

early_Page_1.jpg

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
This stars and stripes Cobra R hat would go right along with their stars and stripes shirts, wouldn't it!?!?!?

Picture1228.gif

R

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I believe the 03 Cobra also raced at VIR as I was at the GA VIR event as a support race and was pitted right next to those guys. I know they were REALLY unhappy with the cars performance.

steve121

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread