Cobra R's 101 - Snipes Ford question

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Yeah Rob! You outbid me for that hat on ebay back when you were gathering R model items.

Tom

Tom - Is this hat part of the apparel that was made during this Snipes 95R campaign? This stars and stripes hat resembles everything else that I see as it relates to the team shirts and their cars. The hat is used, not new, so I would guess that it is not something that has been made up after the fact? :shrug:

Have you seen any pictures from that era with a hat like this?

R

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Tom - Is this hat part of the apparel that was made during this Snipes 95R campaign? This stars and stripes hat resembles everything else that I see as it relates to the team shirts and their cars. The hat is used, not new, so I would guess that it is not something that has been made up after the fact? :shrug:

Have you seen any pictures from that era with a hat like this?

R

As I recall didn't you get that from Terry Moenich? I believe I asked him about it and he thought he bought it off of ebay.

Tom

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
As I recall didn't you get that from Terry Moenich? I believe I asked him about it and he thought he bought it off of ebay.

Tom

Yes Tom, I believe this did come from Terry M. through eBay. It was used when I received it, I wonder where he got it from??

R

Rentlyrent

Established Member
Hate to bring up an old thread but does anyone know how to get in touch with any of the Snipes Ford people? My brother bought an 86 Saleen that was an original Snipes Ford sell. Any help would be great. Thanks

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
Update from 2009 Post. The 21 Car no longer resides in Colorado. It resides in my race shop in Hephzibah Ga ( 15 Miles below Augusta ) and is currently being Vintage Raced with both SVRA and HSR. GJ

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
Also in my Race Shop are both the Massari/Muller IMSA Motorola Cup Mustangs undergoing restoration to be raced as Vintage Cars. The number 90 should make its debut at The SVRA Indy Race this year where it has already been accepted for the event.

Rentlyrent

Established Member
Thanks Tom. I was aware that it was closed but I didn't know if anyone knew them personally.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
How is it that a teeny tiny dealership like Snipes Ford was so connected with those at Ford Motorsport/SVT/SVO and was able to campaign as many cars as they did?

Racing sports cars is no different now than back in 1996. The owner pays most of the costs. Snipes Ford wrote off the expenses as a marketing expense. They later folded the business.

I owned the #21 once (it is a hurricane car).
Mitty2013.jpg

I couldn't make it work financially with my other vintage car. The #21 is in better hands now with a good owner. He'll get it done (including a new vintage event at Indy this year).

"The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a large fortune".

PumpkinMaster

Masterpiecepumpkins
Established Member
I LOVE how much entertaining info gets posted on this Forum - you guys are amazing with how "connected" you are, and how everyone seems to know everyone, and know just about everything to keep these special cars going. I have not been able to find an '00R I can afford. But when I do, I know where I will come to learn more about them!

Keep up the great posts guys!

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Racing sports cars is no different now than back in 1996. The owner pays most of the costs. Snipes Ford wrote off the expenses as a marketing expense. They later folded the business.

That is why they started sponsoring them under the Budget Rental banner. Guess who owned a Budget franchise?

Tom

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member

That is why they started sponsoring them under the Budget Rental banner. Guess who owned a Budget franchise?

Snipes?:-D

I've been around amateur racing for almost 24 years. The best way to go broke is to get excited about one or two seasons and spend too much. You have to tell the guys that you pay to back off. You may need to skip an event or two (or a year). It happens.

I've seen so many guys ruin their finances over the years that I keep a very strict budget.

It's been one thing after another one for me recently. The car needs a bit of rebuilding. The trailer needs some work (major re-wiring and brake maintenance):
Pace3.jpg

The ATV was a bargain at it's price. I've changed the oil three times (2 quarts of 10w-40) in 10 years. You have to have one in vintage.

It should all be ready for the 50th and the Mitty.

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
Chuck Snipes Sold the Ford dealership and opened a body shop in town. I googled him and called the body shop to try and get some info when I wanted to start getting some of these cars active in Vintage Racing. A He came right to the phone and we probably talked for 20 or 30 min. He was a super nice guy. Don't know if he still has the body shop and I doubt he has any of the Ford records but Im sure he would take the time to talk with someone if they had a serious question. Gary

Saleenrose

Established Member
I really wish I had bought this car when it was sold in Colorado, I just never guessed it would have sold for the price it sold for. I talked my Dad into buying the #4 Car just after that and I would have bought that car at that time if I would have known. Looks as if it was a great car.

Users who are viewing this thread