BLWN03's shifter mod

Bluedot_26

This Space For Rent
Established Member
Just installed BLWN03's shifter mod (unsolicited review)

(bone stock 04 ... 2000+ miles)

I have to give the guy some credit .. this $22 piece totally fixed the problem with the stock shifter location and took less than 10 min to install (in the dark in the driveway .. I might add)

It doesn't change the gates or the length of the throws, but it absolutely puts the handle into the position it should have been from the factory. It's a dramatic change.

The device is a very simple, yet properly machined piece of aluminum with all the included mounting hardware, it makes a world of difference and absolutely worth every cent of the $22.

I retained the stock rubber mount (which left me with an extra set of lock washers) ...

If you install the kit ... he marks the shifter side with an "S" and the handle with an "H". Bolt the plate to the shifter first and then attach the handle.

If you find yourself reaching for the shifter ... PM him and get the plate (I'm sure it works on the aftermarket handles also, but I'm stock ... so telling it from my perspective).

This was money well spent in my opinion.

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
Glad you are happy..I was astounded by the difference with my plate added to the pro 5.0 in my cobra..

Jay

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

Best shifter is to buy a $10 bushing kit from Pro 5.0 and use your stock shifter handle with the Pro 5.0 shifter or make your own if you have a lathe. I wouldn't run rubber bushings on a drap car.

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
Silver03Snake said:
Best shifter is to buy a $10 bushing kit from Pro 5.0 and use your stock shifter handle with the Pro 5.0 shifter or make your own if you have a lathe. I wouldn't run rubber bushings on a drap car.

Thanks for hi-jacking a thread in reference to a piece i designed myself...start your own thread please. :bash:

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
Here's some pics of the stock handle setup...seeing this thread is in reference to this very setup.

stockhandlesetup0015nj.jpg

stockhandlesetup0035mu.jpg

stockhandlesetup0045kf.jpg

stockhandlesetup0051kj.jpg

stockhandlesetup0066kv.jpg

stockhandlesetup0085kr.jpg

Here's the backing plate installed......

stockhandlesetup0104gt.jpg

stockhandlesetup0114wm.jpg

Last edited:

hmwave

Established Member
BLWN03,
I have the Pro 5.0 with the original MGW handle.
It's not bad as it is but I'd like to move it back an inch or so.
Will your plates work with the MGW handle?

If so I'll PM you and order. Thanks.

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
hmwave said:
BLWN03,
I have the Pro 5.0 with the original MGW handle.
It's not bad as it is but I'd like to move it back an inch or so.
Will your plates work with the MGW handle?

If so I'll PM you and order. Thanks.

Pm sent to you. :thumbsup:

Jay

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
I've got Jay's shifter-plate installed with a Pro 5.0 shifter, the stock handle with metal bushings, and a black fat knob. I love this set up. The shifter falls right to my hand without me having to reach for it.

I used to think that if first, third, and fifth were no farther away then neutral, then the gear pattern would be where I wanted it. That's exactly what Jay's shifter plate did. It moved first, third, and fifth back to where neutral used to be with the stock handle.

Before putting the stock handle on with the plate, I tried the PRO 5.0 handle, which was so far forward, that I didn't even tighten it down and drive the car with it on. Then I installed the Steeda Triax handle with the plate and didn't like it that much. The throws were much shorter than with the stock handle, but I didn't feel like I got much leverage with the triax handle and it was lower than I like the shifter handle to be.

I remember reading a review of the '03 Cobra that said that all of the testers felt "displaced" each time they had to shift. I don't feel that way anymore.

I highly recommend Jay's shifter plate to anyone who wants to bring the shift pattern closer to them.

What's also nice is that the stock handle (and the Pro 5.0 and Triax handles) comes up pretty much vertically toward the shift-knob position, as opposed to the original MGW handle, which came toward the shift-knob position almost horizontally when the handle is adjusted to be as close as possible to the driver. In that position, the shifter handle itself got in the way of me grabbing onto the shifter knob comfortably.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I expect to advertise Jay's shifter plate on my website very soon. Nice product!

Lilredcpe

Established Member
Jay,
Will your plate work with a Hurst Billet plus shifter? If it does I would be interested in getting one. Thanks...

Snake Eyes

Established Member
I modified my shifter (Tri-Ax) well over a year ago in a somewhat similar way. Here is how to do it, and it is free. Grab a Dremmel and slot the holes on the shifter handle. Slot the upper hole forward and slot the lower hole backward (toward the driver). This allows the shifter handle to be tilted back toward the driver. If you want it moved left you can go to Home Depot get some longer bolts and some matching washers and put the washers between the handle and the base, thus moving the shifter left. Just remember that with the slotted holes you can't use lock washers so a dab of lock-tite would ensure the bolts don't loosen while driving. I can tell you I have tried the MGW handle, the stock handle, etc. And after my mod, I have the shortest throws and the shifter is closer than anything else out there.

Also for those using BLWN03's adaptor bracket, I would slot the holes where the handle mounts to the aluminum bracket. Again this would allow you to tilt the handle back toward the driver. Also mount the handle on the left side opposing the base using the thickness of the bracket to move the handle closer to the driver.

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
CobraBob said:
I expect to advertise Jay's shifter plate on my website very soon. Nice product!

This should work out well :beer: ..your one stop shifter parts site...

Jay

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
Lilredcpe said:
Jay,
Will your plate work with a Hurst Billet plus shifter? If it does I would be interested in getting one. Thanks...

If the bolt pattern is the same as the Stock handle it sure will..I do believe the regular hursts are the ones it will not fit.

Jay

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
BlueOvalBill said:
I've got Jay's shifter-plate installed with a Pro 5.0 shifter, the stock handle with metal bushings, and a black fat knob. I love this set up. The shifter falls right to my hand without me having to reach for it.

I used to think that if first, third, and fifth were no farther away then neutral, then the gear pattern would be where I wanted it. That's exactly what Jay's shifter plate did. It moved first, third, and fifth back to where neutral used to be with the stock handle.

Before putting the stock handle on with the plate, I tried the PRO 5.0 handle, which was so far forward, that I didn't even tighten it down and drive the car with it on. Then I installed the Steeda Triax handle with the plate and didn't like it that much. The throws were much shorter than with the stock handle, but I didn't feel like I got much leverage with the triax handle and it was lower than I like the shifter handle to be.

I remember reading a review of the '03 Cobra that said that all of the testers felt "displaced" each time they had to shift. I don't feel that way anymore.

I highly recommend Jay's shifter plate to anyone who wants to bring the shift pattern closer to them.

What's also nice is that the stock handle (and the Pro 5.0 and Triax handles) comes up pretty much vertically toward the shift-knob position, as opposed to the original MGW handle, which came toward the shift-knob position almost horizontally when the handle is adjusted to be as close as possible to the driver. In that position, the shifter handle itself got in the way of me grabbing onto the shifter knob comfortably.

I thank you for the kind words...I'm glad to have helped in my own little way with a common problem.

Jay

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
svt2003cobra said:
Is the stock handle the same on a 3560 as is on a t56? Ive got a friend with a 04 Mach 1 that might be interested.

Sure is...they are pretty much the same for 94-up

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread