Lets talk differentials

xXSnakeBiteXx

Established Member
Hey everyone over the last few months I have been researching differential options for the IRS in our cobras. I dont live at the drag strip my cars more of a street brawler so my first choice was to go with a torsen. The idea that it might somehow break under a hard launch made me pass because of the price so I purchased a truetrac instead. Recently I have come across many threads of people unhappy with the noise created by this differential and I drive my car ALLOT. The truetrac is on its way back to summit. Now the 2013 650hp shelby gt500 with the track pack comes delivered from ford with a torsen type differential and launch control? Id like this thread to be a discussion between people with real time experience using these parts. If you have never run anything but the stock diff please keep your opinions out of this thread thank you :beer:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Detroit Tru-Trac with Royal Purple 75w-140 fluid and only hear a bump when starting from a dead stop into a turn under a fast clutch drop. Other than that (ie 99%) of the time no different from the Trac-Lock, including noise-wise. Top 3 favorite mod. on my list especially for the $400 pricetag. Also 60'd 1.51 sec. with an Eaton launching at just 3k rpm with 26" slicks, car weighs 3700 lbs. Seen many posts here and at MF with members witnessing very high HP cars with Tru-Trac and no breakage.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
so you sent the tru-trac back to summit based on what you have read here? i have the exact same use for my car as you, and i love my tru trac. there is no noise man, or at least none worth mentioning. it is working out perfectly for me. in fact i'm gonna do another one (or a wavetrac) in my new cobra with 4:10's :rockon:

DE07GT

Established Member
I have a Truetrac, and I haven't had any noise problems. If anything, I probably have less noise than I did with my stock differential. I put almost 20k on my car a year and have no problems.

xXSnakeBiteXx

Established Member
The reason I purchased the true trac in the fist place is I read allot of good things about it. Its still sitting on my workbench but resently I have come across many people claiming to be dissatisfied with noise. Now I'm no dummy and I know you have to take everything you read on the Internet with a grain of salt. That being the exact reason I started this thread Id like to hear real experience from the individuals using these products to further educate my self on the subject. Thanks for the replies gents lets keep em coming.

keith89

Established Member
I have a feeling there was a bad batch of truetracs released and I received one of them. All the same symptoms caused by excessive play in the differential's worm gears. There's a few threads about this if you search. With the Diff cover off, I can turn the driveshaft about 15-20 degrees before the axles are engaged. I mentioned with the diff cover off because I can see the differential unit rotate(and verify backlash is within spec) during those 15-20 degrees of driveshaft movement, yet the axles do not move. When driving in stop and go or very low speeds, this causes a lot of noise if you're not careful. We need to drive around it and it gets very annoying.

I don't blame the OP. If i hear about these issues, I would either wait to see if the issue gets worked out or go elsewhere rather than chance having the same issue after all the expense and labor involved. I should have gone with a torsen and am still debating it.

keith89

Established Member
I wonder how many of these complaints are from unqualified folks installing them in their garage with no working knowledge of rear ends.

I contacted Eaton about this and they acknowledge the issue and attribute it to tolerances in the worm gears that give it the LSD function. They said some do it, some don't. My shop has noticed the same thing. They have been hit or miss with the clunkyness.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I wonder how many of these complaints are from unqualified folks installing them in their garage with no working knowledge of rear ends.

There have been plenty of problems with the Truetracs. Google search will show you. That said, supposedly they have fixed the issues with them.

BEWARE Eaton True Trac - bolts fall out, everything destroyed - Pirate4x4.Com

TruTrac LSD Problem - Nissan Titan Forum

Bolts backing out of the locker aren't an installation error.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
No issues with mine.
Running Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-140 since about 2006, with plenty of HPDE/Track events.

Stone silent on turns, on or off the gas.(except for the classic Cobra clunk- driveline lash chassis resonance which it had before)

One of my favorite mods!
Allows me to get on the gas significantly sooner and harder while exiting a turn, yet stays hooked!

Would buy again!:rockon::thumbsup:

keith89

Established Member
No issues with mine.
Running Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-140 since about 2006, with plenty of HPDE/Track events.

Stone silent on turns, on or off the gas.(except for the classic Cobra clunk- driveline lash chassis resonance which it had before)

One of my favorite mods!
Allows me to get on the gas significantly sooner and harder while exiting a turn, yet stays hooked!

Would buy again!:rockon::thumbsup:

i had the classic cobra clunk before I did the bushings when i had the stock posi diff in. Unfortunately, I did the truetrac at the same time that the complete FTBR IRS bushing kit was installed. The clunk went from the diff moving in the stock bushings to the Truetrac worm gears with a solid diff mount. The clunking sounds similar but now you can hear the driveshaft bounce(rotate) back and forth if you 're not careful when driving in stop and go/slow speeds instead of the single clunk you get from the classic cobra clunk.

Otherwise, in turns it is silent and puts the power down sooner like it should. No complaints there.

I believe there is a thread about issues with the truetrac over in corner-carvers too.

Last edited:

ds03cobra

one man pit crew
Established Member
i had a true trac in my car for a long time nevera complaint ever no added noises or anything worked great at the track as well 3800 lbs 5800 rpm clutch dumps took it everytime . I say had due to fact i traded for a beefier rear a friend didnt want to put into his street car so it now resides under his 811rwhp cobra

Sagittaria

Established Member
My car came with a tru trac from the previous owner and it ate itself the second time I took it to the track on DRs...I'm guessing it was when I was doing a quick peel. Chirped tires around every corner afterwords. No metal bits when it was apart so the rest of my diff was ok but I went back to the Trak-lok.

IMO if you're not a road racer or running some big power on slicks the stock trak lok is fine... Easily rebuildable and the alternating 4 friction disk method (especially with carbon fibers) stiffens it up very well.

Tractionless1

Established Member

xXSnakeBiteXx

Established Member
Thanks for the input so far guys I've been really busy lately. After reading all the responses I'm basically where I started. Though more people were in favor of the eton there is still complaints of noise and clunkiness. This is my problem I've had the rear out of this car 8 times and I'm not about to take a 450.00 gamble and make it 9. Wheres the Torsen users at I haven't heard from anyone in here

earico

Established Member
An apples to apples comparison would be nice, I don't drive a rock crawler, mudding truck, or whatever nonsense is in your links. :nonono:

The 8.8 diff is the same unit whether it's in a rock crawler or your little mustang. You think launching off the line on slicks with 600+ ft/lbs and cutting 1.5 60's is less abuse than 4x4 ing? :lol:

Like I said already...bottom line is these things had plenty of failures in the beginning. The design has supposedly been fixed.

Tractionless1

Established Member
The 8.8 diff is the same unit whether it's in a rock crawler or your little mustang. You think launching off the line on slicks with 600+ ft/lbs and cutting 1.5 60's is less abuse than 4x4 ing? :lol:

Like I said already...bottom line is these things had plenty of failures in the beginning. The design has supposedly been fixed.

I have first hand experience in both and I KNOW a drag pass locks and unlocks once. In mudding, crawling up a rocky incline, trailing, etc. locking/unlocking happens hundreds of time depending on lenght of course. :rollseyes

earico

Established Member
I have first hand experience in both.... :rollseyes

Yipee for you :banana::dancenana:

Do you have any experience reading? I said and I will say it again. There was a design issue and it is supposedly resolved. Has it occurred to you that maybe you have the latest design? Or do you just love to argue for no reason?

These people didn't 4x4 their tracloc and it still failed. Guess what? The bolts backed out...

Experience With Trutrac Differential - Corner-Carvers Forums
BAD NEWS: OH NOES, My DETROIT TRUETRAC bites it - Crownvic.net

I am not knocking the product. I honestly could care less what the OP buys. I am just trying to give the op the complete story so he has all the info needed to make HIS decision. The more success stories the better for this new design. But if you spend sometime on google you will read about the failures and the way Eaton denied anything was wrong in beginning. Then they finally admitted after many failures that they had an issue. They still left the buyers of the flawed units high and dry. Something to consider when buying a product is CUSTOMER SERVICE. :bored:

Users who are viewing this thread