JLT high boost vs. reg JLT CAI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
I did a search on JLT intakes, but seeing as how it only has 3 letters, I didnt find what I am looking for. I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I am looking at intakes for my Terminator. I see that JLT offers a basic CAI that is "good up to 550hp" and then the high boost version that is "good for over 800hp". I dont plan on making 800hp anytime soon, but I was wondering if there would be any drawbacks to putting the high boost intake on a stock car. Here are my questions:

Would there be any difference in performance gain between the 2 systems on a stock cobra?

Is the high boost intake overkill for the stock cobra and would it actually perform worse than the regular cai?

Thats basicly the same question but worded differently...:bash: Thanks in advanced for your input.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Because it frees up so much air it will require a retune, due to lean out.

Will you be staying stock boost forever? If so get the smaller one.

P5010081.jpg

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
I personally like the regular one better. The high boost one does not fit very well. I spend almost an hour trying to get the filter to fit correctly but i ended up just going back to my regular CAI. You will need a retune and i don't see any drawback on running it.

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
Thanks for the picture Jimmy. I wont be staying at stock boost forever, but It also wont be pullied for a little while & honestly, I dont think I'll be seeing 800hp for....well....thats a looooooooooooooooong term goal.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Hey Jimmy, did you re-plumb your intercooler lines?

Because it frees up so much air it will require a retune, due to lean out.

Will you be staying stock boost forever? If so get the smaller one.

P5010081.jpg

forcefedcobra

Established Member
kel it doesnt look like it. That red hose is for his brake cooling mod but knowing Jimmy he just might have changed something with his IC lines just to make them better.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
kel it doesnt look like it. That red hose is for his brake cooling mod but knowing Jimmy he just might have changed something with his IC lines just to make them better.

I just don't see his hard lines. When I put my JLT CAI in I was fighting to get clearance between the filter and hard lines. In this pic, I don't even see his hard lines. Unless mine is plumbed different than his car being it is a Cdn model - unlikely.

It could be he pressed then down, as it looks like they are in the lower portion of the pic.

Last edited:

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Found this pic of a regular JLT CAI. You can see the hard lines in the pic. When I put mine in I was debating changing the hard lines to free up some space, but didn't want go through the hassle of draining the IC.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I just don't see his hard lines. When I put my JLT CAI in I was fighting to get clearance between the filter and hard lines. In this pic, I don't even see his hard lines. Unless mine is plumbed different than his car being it is a Cdn model - unlikely.

It could be he pressed then down, as it looks like they are in the lower portion of the pic.

I did my JLT just after my LFP dual pass HE. That is why the hard line going to the driver's side is no longer there.
I also cut and bent(in a vise) my I/C pump mounting bracket, which makes it and the lines lower on the car. This gave me a little more wiggle room and an ever so tiny lowering of my CG in the front of the car.

The bracket mod is not required and is quite a pain, therefore I don't recommend it.
The LFP dual pass however, is a nice HE and even though it's larger, it may be a wash in the weight department due to the line delete. :beer:

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
I did my JLT just after my LFP dual pass HE. That is why the hard line going to the driver's side is no longer there.
I also cut and bent(in a vise) my I/C pump mounting bracket, which makes it and the lines lower on the car. This gave me a little more wiggle room and an ever so tiny lowering of my CG in the front of the car.

The bracket mod is not required and is quite a pain, therefore I don't recommend it.
The LFP dual pass however, is a nice HE and even though it's larger, it may be a wash in the weight department due to the line delete. :beer:

Okay thanks for the input.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Bump.. (sorry to bump an old thread, but in fear of everyone yelling search it seems like the thing to do)

I'm going to have my car tuned this saturday, and I'm running the standard JLT CAI..

It is a KB 2.2 setup, 2lb lower, and 3.0 upper. I figure it will be close to 20psi.

Is my intake really going to cause a huge restriction? I'm not going to spend money on a "high boost" kit, but I have considered ordering a 12" S&B filter, and cutting the pipe so that I can mount the MAF in a factoryish location. Then I could mount the filter directly to the 90 elbow in the fender...

input?

nanastymach1

Established Member
I'm in the same boat but I'm running a 3.4 whipple on pump shooting for 700 on pump and 800 on race gas..street car only but I don't like fender intakes and cai looks so much cleaner,I'm buying a jlt cai right now and I'm now wondering how much it could hurt me

mach1033

Established Member
I have the JLT high boost RAI with 9 inch filter. I didnt have any IAT2 issues at all.
190947[/ATTACH]"]
cobra085.jpg

190949[/ATTACH]"]
Picture009.jpg

Attachments

• cobra085.jpg
    cobra085.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Picture009.jpg
    Picture009.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 87

mach1033

Established Member
This is what I just bought...did I do the right thing?

You have the RAI not the CAI. My boost never fell. It was flat right to redline. Yes you did the right thing. You also need all those fittings and braids that Dagostino wants to sell you.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have the JLT high boost RAI with 9 inch filter.
I didnt have any IAT2 issues at all.
You have the RAI not the CAI. My boost never fell. It was flat right to redline. Yes you did the right thing. You also need all those fittings and braids that Dagostino wants to sell you.

Were you logging IAT2s on the dyno? Or where? What conditions?
By "Didn't have any issues" what exactly do you mean?
The IAT2s were the exact same temps?
Or just not all that much higher with the RAI?

Higher IAT2s don't always cause issues, if they are slight enough...

but higher IAT2s are still higher IAT2s.

A true test would be a back to back test measuring vacuum just in front of the throttle body. This would give a good indication of the difference in inlet restriction between the two designs.

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
Were you logging IAT2s on the dyno? Or where? What conditions?
By "Didn't have any issues" what exactly do you mean?
The IAT2s were the exact same temps?
Or just not all that much higher with the RAI?

Higher IAT2s don't always cause issues, if they are slight enough...

but higher IAT2s are still higher IAT2s.

A true test would be a back to back test measuring vacuum just in front of the throttle body. This would give a good indication of the difference in inlet restriction between the two designs.
I should have been a little clearer when I posted this. Back in 09 when I bought the JLT RAI my tuner at the time had me drive my car on the back country roads of PA. He had my SCT tuner plugged in my OB2 port and I went and did some 3rd gear pulls along with doing stop and go like I was in traffic. This was in July so it was hot out and the IAT2's never reached the point where the computer would start to pull timing. I did not do the test that you had mentioned. I was going by what the tuner was telling me. I didnt use my last tune as a reference because it was January and only like 25 degrees out. But what I will do being that my motor is being built is have the tuner do the test you mention and then I can report back the findings. Plus it will be in June so the weather will be hot.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
So if you do have intentions of seeing 20+ psi does the high boost actually even make a difference. And I didn't even know they offered a high boost rai. Which is going to be overall better. High boost or not? Cai or rai?

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
So if you do have intentions of seeing 20+ psi does the high boost actually even make a difference. And I didn't even know they offered a high boost rai. Which is going to be overall better. High boost or not? Cai or rai?

.:read:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread