03-04 cobras with cams , please come in

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I have tossed the idea (of cams) around for a while,., I also asked if I would be better off selling cobra and getting a used ZO6 or viper., having said that,., I don't want to mod this car to the point of not liking it, so I want to make sure the drivability wont suck with cams before I drop coin to do it :) I miss the lopy idle.,., and would rather put a few grand in the car and keep it without payments, rather than sell it and have big payments on a decent viper/ZO6.,.
discuss

Rob

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Prior to buying my TT kit, I was going to keep the Whipple and do the full top end work from Livernois. Would of cost around $3,500.00 for the works and a nasty custom ground blower cam. I don't think that there's any beating the sound of a cammed muscle car.

Driveability does go down with the more aggressive the cam is, I'm sure. Cold starts become a hassle and I'm sure that it will shake a little more than it used to. I was going to go with a limited street/mostly strip custom ground blower cam. Would have sounded nasty!

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
What did that package consist of??

and did they say how much to expect to have it installed?

and the cold start up would probably cause the most issues, that's why I hope those that currently have cams will chime in :thumbsup:

GodStang

Established Member
I got them... yall know my thoughts on them. Want lope and save the money unhook the line to the pcv. You will get massive lope and a loud whistle.

GodStang

Established Member
how does the car run/idle/cold start.,., drivabity wise :shrug:

More lope that you want the less drivability that you will have. When my car was running it would have issues when it was cold but other than that it was not too bad. Also was not my daily driver. So the 2 miles a month that I drive it was not that big of a deal.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I went with the FGT cams during my rebuild. It was more of a what the heck reasoning for doing so. If nothing else, driveability should be fine, and who knows I may even pick up some power somewhere in the curve.

SVTurbo 98

E85 addict
Established Member
I run comp turbo cams and the drivability is perfect...but they're not as big as blower cams....also run 160lb injectors with bs3 and it's very easy and fun to drive on the street

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
how about those that have custom cams ., vs putting in crower/comps stage III ,., would that be better??

just trying to do my home work

GodStang

Established Member
how about those that have custom cams ., vs putting in crower/comps stage III ,., would that be better??

just trying to do my home work

Custom cams are way better. Remember when a company designs a cam they design it to a specific setup. If your car is the same setup as what they designed to then you would be great but chances are you are not. Most of these cams where designed before the 2.6L, 2.8L and 3.4L came out. Chances are they were designed to an eaton. No proof on that but I would hate to take the chance. They are around the same price for custom and OTS cams. Go Custom to your setup. Another words dont buy someone elses custom cams and thing they are good for you.

Users who are viewing this thread