03-04 cobras with cams , please come in

Screamin03Cobra

formerly 'pony2000gt'
Established Member
Good topic! I have been considering doing custom cams when I get home myself. Sir Riccus you never answered sniperdog's question about what all was included in that Livernois kit! I am curious as well. Like Godstang said go custom. I was quoted $650 for some custom Sean Hyland cams and I hear good things about them, even though they are in Canada :p

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Good topic! I have been considering doing custom cams when I get home myself. Sir Riccus you never answered sniperdog's question about what all was included in that Livernois kit! I am curious as well. Like Godstang said go custom. I was quoted $650 for some custom Sean Hyland cams and I hear good things about them, even though they are in Canada :p

My apologies. :-D

Livernois Motorsports CNC Stage 3 Ported 4V Heads
Livernois Motorsports Custom Grind Cam
Livernois Motorsports Stainless Steel Oversized Valves
Livernois Motorsports High-Lift Valve Springs
Livernois Motorsports Retainers
Livernois Motorsports Valve Seals
Livernois Motorsports Valve Guides

:beer:

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Everyone talks about how good custom cams are, but everyone kinda dances around what company to go with. Custom cams are only as good as who makes them, and there is A LOT TO KNOW when it comes to custom grinds... So WHO can we trust to make good cams for us??! What company has that much knowledge on Modulars that you just tell them your setup and your goals and they will make a GUARANTEED-TO-PERFORM custom grind for you?

I don't know if I trust any company out there that much, I just find it hard to believe that any company has done that much research on our engines with different setups to be confident that can make a cam for you that you will be happy with. SHM does have a lot of research under their belt, but I haven't heard anyone say anything about their custom grinds...

I just don't know what to do because people have done pretty amazing things while still using their stock cams..

20psirabbit

Established Member
also, i haven't dealt with livernois, but you might want to do a bit of reading before buying their heads. there was a thread (i think on modfords) where a guy got their heads and flow benched them, they came up quite a bit short of what was claimed for cfm flow. not trash talking, just looking out.

black2003svt

Established Member
I have cams and they can be a bitch!!(cold start) I love the way they sound and it pulls HARD all the way to 7,000rpm:banana:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
I've thought about cams in the past and most of the guys here, in the know, thought our cams are pretty damned good as is. Spend money on other mods was the general consensus

Last edited:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
also, i haven't dealt with livernois, but you might want to do a bit of reading before buying their heads. there was a thread (i think on modfords) where a guy got their heads and flow benched them, they came up quite a bit short of what was claimed for cfm flow. not trash talking, just looking out.

I also remember that thread perfectly. From what I understand, they sent him the wrong heads. :shrug:

I personally know of 2 people that just had their heads fully ported by Livernois and they both flow benched them and they exceeded the advertise results by a significant amount! They were extremely impressed and needless to say happy. I will be sending my heads out to them when it's time and also have them do me up one nasty turbo grind cam! :rockon:

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Yea just put some Crower Stage 3s in my car and love the idle but the driveability is kind of a PITA and cold start is a lil annoying. Still workin on the tune with Rick but the car does pull way harder!!!

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
so, does that mean stay at a stage II or lower or would a III be ok?

Honestly, IMO, if you're going to do cams, please make them aggressive like you want. What's the point in doing something besides what you want to do because they'll wear out a little quicker?

On the second thought, this really only applies to me. You want driveability which means that you should probably go with a custom grind cam with a lot less lift than what I was intending on getting. Don't go with a stage 2 out of the box cam. Get one made to fit your application specifically so that you will have the best power gains and driveability. :beer:

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Here's an idea, let's make a list of who actually makes custom cams for 4V's. It should be noted as well what type of service the company we mention offers. The reason I say this is because I know there are companies out there that can make a camshaft to your exact order (such as duration and lift), but I myself do not know enough about camshafts to actually specify the grind, so that isn't an option for me. I need someone without enough know-how to make a camshaft suited to my setup.

Anyways I think I know of a few so I'll get the ball rolling:

-HPP
-Livernois
-SHM

Qwk GT

Established Member
Not sure about these cars, but with 5.0's it wasn't the lift that made them have poor driveability. I was the duration. I've got a long way to go before I'd consider cams, but after my experience with my 5.0, and some of my friends, they sound great and makes the car rev faster through the rpm range, but driveability was kinda a PITA.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I have talked to several people that have stage III's and they have no issues.,., I was wanna do custom cams, which should be more suited to my car hence less issues anyway :shrug:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
My car drives as good as a stock cobra, just sounds a lot better and pulls harder

how much did it cost you or was your engine out for some other reason, so you did it while it was out?? :shrug: and I forgot,.,. what cams are you running?

mitrls10

"Torqued Motorsports"
Established Member
2,3,4v mustangs are bout the only cars I haven't done aftermarket cams in, so on any aftermarket cam do you have to replace springs and retainers and all the hardware?? Some cars require them and some dont what bout ours??

Users who are viewing this thread