Lower intake Bolts

PKFIRE

Established Member
SEE POST # 27(page 2) for a very important message!(Jimmy)

Does anyone know the exact size and correct torque that these bolts take on a 03 cobra. I broke one yesterday going to 15lb-lbs/180in-lbs. I'm not sure if I didn't notice the torque wrench break away or bolt gave loose before I hit the set torque. I was able to get it out but I just don't want it to happen again.

Last edited by a moderator:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Did you search? This has been discussed quite a bit and the torque specs are here.
The torque spec is in inch-lbs, but I believe it's around 7.5ft-lbs to 8ft-lbs. It's been
a long time since I've needed that spec so I'm going off memory.

PKFIRE

Established Member
I took it off of the how to supercharger removal on here. It said last torque sequence 15ft-lbs
now its time to bolt the lower intake to the cylinder heads. refer to the last picture for the torque sequence.

i didn't see specific #'s for this step, to i just went with the following:
1st tighten them to 50 inch/lbs
2nd tighten them to 10 ft/lbs
lastly tighten them to 15 ft/lbs (i always go through one last time to make sure all bolts are at the final torque spec)

I've seen just 89in-lbs to 89in-lbs + 90deg turn. I just want know the exact torque.

I just measured the bolt it is a M6x1.0 it looks like a 35mm length right before the washer. It's maybe 40mm.

Last edited:

PKFIRE

Established Member
I just looked up 8.8 bolt M6x1.0 torque on a chart and it is 7.8ft-lbs. I think someone needs to correct the how to remove blower information.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I just looked up 8.8 bolt M6x1.0 torque on a chart and it is 7.8ft-lbs. I think someone needs to correct the how to remove blower information.

If I'm not mistaken, it was corrected a few pages later. If I'm not mistaken, the problem is that the moderators lock the threads after a while and you can't edit/fix it. It sucks b/c there are many improvements done to the How-to's after it's first publishing. Maybe this can be fixed

PKFIRE

Established Member
If I'm not mistaken, it was corrected a few pages later. If I'm not mistaken, the problem is that the moderators lock the threads after a while and you can't edit/fix it. It sucks b/c there are many improvements done to the How-to's after it's first publishing. Maybe this can be fixed

oic, hopefully it can be fixed. It's a awesome write up and helped me a ton. I was just lucky I was able to get the bolt out and that it's not my daily driver. I just hope other people catch this before they do the same thing.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
That thread has needed to be changed for a long time now and you're not the only one that's broken bolts. Thankfully for some reason when I did mine the first time I read the entire thread where someone had indeed pointed out the correct 89 inch pounds so I've never had a problem. Others though have broken bolts and it's a shame.

Satyr

Established Member
That thread has needed to be changed for a long time now and you're not the only one that's broken bolts. Thankfully for some reason when I did mine the first time I read the entire thread where someone had indeed pointed out the correct 89 inch pounds so I've never had a problem. Others though have broken bolts and it's a shame.

I'm one of the people that has broken that bolt...and it snapped flush with the block, even with the intake taken back out. It was on the very last bolt, too.
Major pain in the ass...tightened to feel since then.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I'm one of the people that has broken that bolt...and it snapped flush with the block, even with the intake taken back out. It was on the very last bolt, too.
Major pain in the ass...tightened to feel since then.

I broke one too...well...actually a friend did. Either way, one broke.
I guess I should've looked up the torque spec first instead of using
the standard German torque spec "goodendtight".

PKFIRE

Established Member
Satyr that sux man! How did you get it out? I heard horror stories about breaking of bolt removers trying to get bolts out of heads. I'm just glad it didn't happen to me. The blower right now is siting in the engine compartment ready to be fasten in. I called the local Ford Dealer and they said 3.25 per bolt but I'll gladly pay that for what could of happen. I'm going to step up the torque to 89 in-lbs this time and be done. I read somewhere that you do that then turn a additional 90 degrees. Still sounds like a lot to me.

Thanks guys for the info like always.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^89 inch lbs and you're good to go. There's no need to go any further at all.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
I broke one the first time i installed a ported blower last spring when reusing the stock bolts. Ive pulled my blower 5 times now and use new bolts on the lower each time now.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Also make sure you are using the correct and also a quaity torque wrench. I never use a torque wrench within 20% of it's highest and lowest torque range. IOW if the range on your wrench is say 30 to 89 ft-lbs only use it for torque specs of 36 to 71 ft-lbs. This is especially critical on the lower end of the range as the click is very weak and easy to miss. I have 3 Snap-On torque wrenches in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" flavors. I'm covered from about 15 inch pounds on up to 175 ft-lbs. Gives me the proper wrench for most occasions.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I broke one the first time i installed a ported blower last spring when reusing the stock bolts. Ive pulled my blower 5 times now and use new bolts on the lower each time now.

My car has had a blower change done to it probably 12-13 times and I'm still on the stock IC Bolts and the stock Lower Intake Bolts.:lol1::dw:

Fat-cat

Established Member
I just go hand tight with the lowers. In the pattern provided above in the OP link. 8Ft pounds is not very much.

Last edited:

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
My car has had a blower change done to it probably 12-13 times and I'm still on the stock IC Bolts and the stock Lower Intake Bolts.:lol1::dw:

I guess my motor man has me trained to well. I reused mine on my lightning for 8 years/many many blower changes untill i swapped it over to a whipple.

Jpjr

Established Member
I broke one too...well...actually a friend did. Either way, one broke.
I guess I should've looked up the torque spec first instead of using
the standard German torque spec "goodendtight".

Actually this torque spec worked for me on those PITA back bolts on the pas side under the plenum. The correct procedure to not break those bolts is IMO modest gudentite by hand with an extra half turn or so on the wrench (and that's assuming you have the necessary swivel, extension, and magnet to get those bolts on there).

Before attempting this you will want to use your beverage entry tool a few times to set your frame of mind appropriately...

Satyr

Established Member
Satyr that sux man! How did you get it out? I heard horror stories about breaking of bolt removers trying to get bolts out of heads. I'm just glad it didn't happen to me. The blower right now is siting in the engine compartment ready to be fasten in. I called the local Ford Dealer and they said 3.25 per bolt but I'll gladly pay that for what could of happen. I'm going to step up the torque to 89 in-lbs this time and be done. I read somewhere that you do that then turn a additional 90 degrees. Still sounds like a lot to me.

Thanks guys for the info like always.

Well, I guess technically my friend broke the bolt. However, since I entrusted him with tightening the bolt, I transitively broke it myself. I had to pull the blower/manifold back off and use an EZ out (not as EZ as the name predicts). It took a long ass time but it finally came out.

Users who are viewing this thread