Lower intake Bolts

PKFIRE

Established Member
I purchased a Craftsman 25-250 in-lb torque wrench so it's a decent quality torque wrench. I'll finish it this weekend, I get my new bolt Wensday from the Ford Dealer. Then I'll place the base tune in and then install the new off road x-pipes. I'm a bit excited and hoping all else goes together nicely.

PKFIRE

Established Member
Well, I guess technically my friend broke the bolt. However, since I entrusted him with tightening the bolt, I transitively broke it myself. I had to pull the blower/manifold back off and use an EZ out (not as EZ as the name predicts). It took a long ass time but it finally came out.

You're lucky, I read a post that the ez out broke flush in the heads of his car. He had to pull the heads and decided to replace them in the process. Glad you got yours out.

RoadRash

Established Member
old thread - I have broken these bolts twice now on two different installs. I want to replace them with some better bolts. Has anyone gotten some M6 x 1.0 grade 8 bolts and used them?

RoadRash

Established Member
Yeah, that may be why I broke the bolts because I used the guide .. but I'd still like to replace the bolts .. why have a bolt that weak?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
OK I have not read all the way through this yet.
I don't know if those torque specs are right or not, but I am sure they are for NEW FASTENERS!

I just want to say, right here, right now, that any time you see 90 degrees at the end of a torque spec it means the fastener being used is torque to yield. Or any twist amount in degrees.

If you are reusing the fasteners guess what? they have already been torqued to yield. The word yield should start to be sinking in right about now.

I don't think it's a good idea to reuse torque to yield bolts and then expect them to survive another torque to yield twist.

I can't recommend just using feel because that is totally dependent on your experience level and often how many bolts have you already broken and if you know HOW they feel just before that happens.

I am going to recommend that EVERYONE that reuses your OLD BOLTS use less than the factory torque to yield spec, what ever you do leave off the last turn of bla bla degrees.

If you are uncertain of how tight to go and absolutely need to use the specs, you should be using new fasteners.

When I did my Whipple I used ALL my OLD BOLTS, when I removed the intercooler core I used heat first.

I did not use a torque or inch pound wrench on anything. I also did not break one single bolt.
You just have to know that once they are "YIELDED" they are weaker and have to be tightened LESS!
OR BUY NEW!!!

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good comments Jimmy. It has been stated more than once in different threads over the years that torque to yield bolts should not be re-used. They're inexpensive to buy.

It's too bad these How-To threads can't be condensed to remove unnecessary or incorrect posts. The more condensed they are are the easier they would be to read. I know this would be not possible with the present forums format, but maybe sometime in the future it could be done in some way. Or maybe certain information could be highlighted to enhance its important. Just some thoughts.

65wildstang

Established Member
another broken fastner

Mark me up as another DA:fm:, that didn't read the thread completely. The 2nd bolt that I was tighten to 15 ft lbs broke. I live in a small town and there isn't anywhere to buy parts on Sunday. So after a 20 minute drive to the next town I stop at Autozone. I found some 6mm x 1.00 x 30mm bolts. They are rated to 10.9 and are coated just as the stock ones. They are made by Dorman. Autozone only had a 1 box of 4. So, I had to stop at Advance & Oreilys to get enough (each store only had one box) LoL. Our factory ones are only 8.8's ,so I felt alot better adding the stronger 10.9 and torqued to 89 inch lbs for my future supercharger upgrades.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Fix that F'n thread. I just broke 2 damn bolts doing my swap.

God damn it.

OK this is the SECOND TIME I have edited that thread. I put a correction note in red text right near the beginning of it in February.

This time I went into the thread further and removed the second reference.

Let's use a little common sense here too people, if the intercooler to blower bolts are the same size and they are 89 inch pounds, why would the intake to head bolts be 15 foot pounds?? The obvious typo that killed lots of bolts is now dead.

If there are any other threads floating around that need fixing PLEASE PROVIDE THE LINK!!! So I don't have to go hunting for it to fix it!

Last edited:

larlar

Established Member
i broke a back intake bolt on a brand new cobra motor the other day but lucky for me it didnt snap in half so it came right out i didnt mess around i just bought all new ones its not worth it torque to yeild i got it now:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread