Whipple 2.9 vs 3.4...

truculentSVT

Established Member
I currently have a 2.3, but looking to make some more power.. What's the pros and cons of each, and some of your opinions about the two? I'm still not sure which I should go with.. Thanks in advance :beer:

cobracide

Established Member
I currently have a 2.3, but looking to make some more power.. What's the pros and cons of each, and some of your opinions about the two? I'm still not sure which I should go with.. Thanks in advance :beer:

Well what do you want out of a new blower besides horsepower (obviously). Track, strip, street, what? Boost level, fuel... What is the 2.3 not doing? Do you plan on upgrading the fuel system (whatever that may be)?

Last edited:

truculentSVT

Established Member
Street and strip.. Car goes to the track about 5 to 10 times a year... Current fuel system is full return system with twin walbro 255s, fore hat, fore rails, aeromotive fuel reg., and 60 lb injectors.. Prolly will step up to 72s tho..

Just looking to get faster.. 2.3 is getting boring, like everything always does... With these new gt's and z06's out on the prowl, I gotta step the game up..

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Street and strip.. Car goes to the track about 5 to 10 times a year... Current fuel system is full return system with twin walbro 255s, fore hat, fore rails, aeromotive fuel reg., and 60 lb injectors.. Prolly will step up to 72s tho..

Just looking to get faster.. 2.3 is getting boring, like everything always does... With these new gt's and z06's out on the prowl, I gotta step the game up..

Go 3.4L assuming you are going torco and track is really important, else 2.9L if sticking with pump gas.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
This discussion without serious fuel octane considerations and determinations is almost pointless.

You need to pick a fuel because big blowers on pump(91 or 93) is a big waste of money IMHO.

Ironhand

Banned
This discussion without serious fuel octane considerations and determinations is almost pointless.

You need to pick a fuel because big blowers on pump(91 or 93) is a big waste of money IMHO.

THIS!

The 2.9 will be your best best OP. Due to your fuel system, engine, and octane that you will be using.

The only way I would tell you to get a 3.4 would if you had a Stroker, Ported heads, LTs etc. And planned for the car to spend most of its time on race gas or E-85 with 20+PSI

truculentSVT

Established Member
This is still a street car.. I'll be running 93 on the street most of the time.. Prolly some 109 or something else for the track/race tune

truculentSVT

Established Member
I wish we had e85 around this area, but sadly, we don't..

The car has a 2.3 whipple with a 50 shot right now.. It has a 3.00 pulley that makes about 16.5 lbs of boost due to the kooks long tubes..

It makes 667 on a 50 shot and 622 on boost only right now..

Thought about a 2.9 with the 50... I imagine it would make about 720ish or so, But wonder when the 3.4 is realitivly the same price.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I wish we had e85 around this area, but sadly, we don't..

The car has a 2.3 whipple with a 50 shot right now.. It has a 3.00 pulley that makes about 16.5 lbs of boost due to the kooks long tubes..

It makes 667 on a 50 shot and 622 on boost only right now

Why not just pulley that for more boost and tune it for race gas.

When you are back on street gas pulley back down and run about 18psi.

How are you hooking on the street at that power level anyway?
For the street is seems a waste to me... "spinnin ain't winnin".

truculentSVT

Established Member
Why not just pulley that for more boost and tune it for race gas.

When you are back on street gas pulley back down and run about 18psi.

How are you hooking on the street at that power level anyway?
For the street is seems a waste to me... "spinnin ain't winnin".

The car keeps 315 MT et streets on it at all times.. They hook pretty good, plus the 50 shot is brought in during 2nd around 3700 rpms so it doesn't cause slot of traction problems..

Just seems like the 2.9 is superior to the 2.3, being more efficient it seems..

89slowgt331

Established Member
I dont think you will see a big improvement for your $$$ between the 2.3 and 2.9 if both are 18psi or less tuned on 93, up the spray to 75-100 for $10 or spend $1000 or more after you sell the 2.3 for a 2.9.

mach1033

Established Member
My advise is get 80lb injectors if you plan on boosting over 20lbs. I would say get the 2.9 cause the 3.4 is really for a built motor. Also the 2.9 is straight bolt on unlike the 3.4. The stock pulley on the 2.9 will get you 18lbs so you can still run 93 pump. I'm running 23lbs with torco. It made 50hp more than the 2.3 at the same boost level. Also it clears strut tower braces if you decide to get one.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
I agree, everything I read says the 2.9 is only worth it if you are E85, Torco, or 93+ meth. I'd tune on 93+meth with more boost, hit 700, and see where that gets you. What about some weight reduction?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The car keeps 315 MT et streets on it at all times.. They hook pretty good, plus the 50 shot is brought in during 2nd around 3700 rpms so it doesn't cause slot of traction problems..

Just seems like the 2.9 is superior to the 2.3, being more efficient it seems..

I don't see the big advantage below 20 pounds, you are spinning bigger heavier screws.

But a lot of guys are jumping on the big blower band wagon.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Keep your blower up the boost to 22psi and up the shot to 100 and trust me you'll have your hands full...I made 700+ breaking the tires loose on the dyno.

truculentSVT

Established Member
Hmm.. Maybe I should just spray 100 and run a 2.75 pulley for right now.. Don't guys have problems with belt slip with that small of pulley tho

liedenfrost

Established Member
I don't see the big advantage below 20 pounds, you are spinning bigger heavier screws.

But a lot of guys are jumping on the big blower band wagon.

You might have better peak numbers with the 2.9 at 18psi vs a 2.3 at 18 psi, but most likely will lose midrange power and torque. I'd love to see an overlay of graphs to show the point. Boost the 2.9 over 20 psi; and it will shine much brighter than a 2.3. I'm trying to figure out which way to go right now. Go crazy with an E85 setup/2.9 with a 3.25 pulley, or just get a 2.3 and spin it on pump gas. :shrug: I don't plan on taking it to the track very often...just a street brawler.

Last edited:

Garrett114

MeauxPower
Established Member
I have both a 2.9 and a 3.4 pm me any questions you have but just going off what you put if you don't mind changing your hood and r going to run over 20# of boost go 3.4'if not the 2.9 will be good enough for you

Just to give you an idea my buddy's 5.0 ported head stroker with a 2.3 made less power then my 2.9 stock motor cam car it also shows on the track I will trap 4-5 mph more than him and my iat r down compared to his I run stock lower 3.5 upper to get 20# and he has a 2lb lower and a smaller upper to get 20lbs so it makes more heat

Last edited:

stal94gt

Established Member
garett, if you dont mind posting your numbers with the 2.9 please. i go in the dyno monday with mine and im curiouse to see the numbers

Users who are viewing this thread