Whipple 2.9 vs 3.4...

Garrett114

MeauxPower
Established Member
garett, if you dont mind posting your numbers with the 2.9 please. i go in the dyno monday with mine and im curiouse to see the numbers

I only made a pull to 6400 and shut it down it was late when we finished the install and didn't have the tune finished with cams once I finished I'll make a pull to 7000 to see my final numbers but at 20# and 85 degree weather I was at 639rwhp I trapped 133 mph on a hot day and my buddy that traps 134 on cold days was only trapping 129 that day if that helps u any

cobracide

Established Member
I only made a pull to 6400 and shut it down it was late when we finished the install and didn't have the tune finished with cams once I finished I'll make a pull to 7000 to see my final numbers but at 20# and 85 degree weather I was at 639rwhp I trapped 133 mph on a hot day and my buddy that traps 134 on cold days was only trapping 129 that day if that helps u any

What was the humidity?

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
My advise is get 80lb injectors if you plan on boosting over 20lbs. I would say get the 2.9 cause the 3.4 is really for a built motor. Also the 2.9 is straight bolt on unlike the 3.4. The stock pulley on the 2.9 will get you 18lbs so you can still run 93 pump. I'm running 23lbs with torco. It made 50hp more than the 2.3 at the same boost level. Also it clears strut tower braces if you decide to get one.

3.4 is really for a built motor? Is it unsafe to run the 3.4 on a stock motor? Is it unsafe to run pump gas (93 octane) on a 3.4? Can you still use the stock hood with the 3.4? I think I remember a guy saying he had the stock hood with his 3.4. He had to do something to make it sit lower, but I can't remember what it was.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I think the consensus is that the 3.4 is only worthwhile if you've got some very aggressive goals, otherwise the 2.9 is a better all-rounder. Hell there ain't much wrong with the 2.3

There is something that people have done to make the 3.4 sit lower and I can't for the life of me remember either... Not curious enough to search though :)

mach1033

Established Member
3.4 is really for a built motor? Is it unsafe to run the 3.4 on a stock motor? Is it unsafe to run pump gas (93 octane) on a 3.4? Can you still use the stock hood with the 3.4? I think I remember a guy saying he had the stock hood with his 3.4. He had to do something to make it sit lower, but I can't remember what it was.

You have to notch the hood in order for it to fit or go with an aftermarket hood. There is a way to change the way the engine sits but that will add to the cost. 3.4's are known for being very hard on the crank snout. You can def run it on a stock motor on pump gas cause there are plenty of guys doing it. My point was ease of installation without any modification's. Also if you get the crusher inlet then your gonna have to remove the blower when ever you change the plugs. My 2.9 went in with my strut tower brace and my hood closed. There is a vendor on here that tuned a Cobra with the 2.9 with the stock pulley and built motor. It made over 700rwhp with a 91 octane tune. Thats insane.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
You have to notch the hood in order for it to fit or go with an aftermarket hood. There is a way to change the way the engine sits but that will add to the cost. 3.4's are known for being very hard on the crank snout. You can def run it on a stock motor on pump gas cause there are plenty of guys doing it. My point was ease of installation without any modification's. Also if you get the crusher inlet then your gonna have to remove the blower when ever you change the plugs. My 2.9 went in with my strut tower brace and my hood closed. There is a vendor on here that tuned a Cobra with the 2.9 with the stock pulley and built motor. It made over 700rwhp with a 91 octane tune. Thats insane.

I think you might be referring to the black cobra tuned by RET. It had a built motor, cams and was ran with a stock upper and 2lb lower. but the fuel was 91 mixed with 100 octane, IIRC. It made 700+

Users who are viewing this thread