Buying a crate motor from evolution performance, Are they any different from original

andress

Banned
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone here has bought a crate motor from evolution performance ?? I'm gonna be buying an 03-04 cobra motor.. Are they any diffrent from the original 03-04 cobra motor that came with the car??

Thanks guys

mach1033

Established Member
is this a brand new motor or a remanufactured? How much is it? That will tell us which one it is.

Last edited:

andress

Banned
4.6L (281 cubic inches)
8.5:1 compression ratio (nominal)
Forged pistons
H-beam connecting rods
Forged steel crankshaft
Aluminum block M-6010-A46SC
Blue cam covers M-6582-A54
Assembled long block with 2003-04 Mustang Cobra cylinder heads and camshafts
Includes 2003-04 Mustang Cobra timing chain cover, water pump, Cobra windage tray and oil pan
Fits 2003-04 Mustang Cobra
Built with all NEW PARTS
Does not include oil cooler/oil filter adapter

They want 6500 for it

mach1033

Established Member
thats the aluminator. What kind of power do you plan on making?

Last edited:

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
If you plan on making 800whp with the aluminator, good luck.

the weak link in our cars are the Zollner pistons; they dont do too well in high boost, high heat situations, although someone who has been lucky to make a stupid amount of HP and have it last a year or two will try to tell you otherwise.

go to modularmustangracing.com (MMR) you will be able to build an aluminum blocked cobra motor for cheaper, with better pistons and bearings, among other parts, than the OEM stuff. Its also a little cheaper. your heads, valve covers and timing chain covers are perfectly reusable, unless there is an issue we dont know about.

6500 is unnecessary spending.

Good luck with your choice of motor to be used in your build.

andress

Banned
If you plan on making 800whp with the aluminator, good luck.

the weak link in our cars are the Zollner pistons; they dont do too well in high boost, high heat situations, although someone who has been lucky to make a stupid amount of HP and have it last a year or two will try to tell you otherwise.

go to modularmustangracing.com (MMR) you will be able to build an aluminum blocked cobra motor for cheaper, with better pistons and bearings, among other parts, than the OEM stuff. Its also a little cheaper. your heads, valve covers and timing chain covers are perfectly reusable, unless there is an issue we dont know about.

6500 is unnecessary spending.

I've heard bad things about mmr

Good luck with your choice of motor to be used in your build.

I've heard bad things about mmr

andress

Banned
Well I can't really argue that. Every single vendor has people who are satisfied and people who complain. Just do some research into your options and go from there.

That's true.. Well the guy I usually take it to is RET... U wouldn't happen to know any vendors that are good on building 03-04 cobra motors would you? What's better short block or long block

oldmodman

Established Member
That's true.. Well the guy I usually take it to is RET... U wouldn't happen to know any vendors that are good on building 03-04 cobra motors would you? What's better short block or long block

Call Greg and ask him who he would use to build a motor in the Los Angeles county area.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
Call Greg and ask him who he would use to build a motor in the Los Angeles county area.

This.

I wouldn't know of local engine building options for you since I'm in Texas but I have heard MANY good things about Greg at RET. He should know of a reputable engine builder for a car. And no, buying a longblock isn't necessary, just reuse your stock heads, port them and run cams and upgraded valvetrain, if your build has that taken into consideration. There's no point in spending money on new castings unless you've detonated or overheated and warped a head or something, IMO

andress

Banned
This.

I wouldn't know of local engine building options for you since I'm in Texas but I have heard MANY good things about Greg at RET. He should know of a reputable engine builder for a car. And no, buying a longblock isn't necessary, just reuse your stock heads, port them and run cams and upgraded valvetrain, if your build has that taken into consideration. There's no point in spending money on new castings unless you've detonated or overheated and warped a head or something, IMO

What kind of money am I lookin to get a built block n heads with cams ect....

Users who are viewing this thread