Coolant Flush. is DIY risking air bubbles?

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
I've neglected flushing my coolant, and though it's a low miles car i feel it's time to do it. I've read horror stories about engines overheating badly due to air bubbles in the system after refilling. This would be my first coolant flush if i do it myself, so would ya'll say it's fine to do or should i take it somewhere (post suggestions)
If you suggest me doing it, any tips to avoid bubbles?
Also, while i'm doing this would it be advised to pick up an aftermarket radiator or is the stock unit found to be sufficient?
noob questions, i know....but this is about the only thing i've never done before :shrug:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Thanks Jimmy!
So the stock unit is fine?

Keep the stock rad for now, if it's not leaking, don't replace it.

Later on after you get addicted to Open Track/HPDE we can revisit this topic depending on whether or not you are actually having cooling issues or not.

Now would be a very good time to install a Reische 170 T-stat.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
Good to know, thanks Jimmy!
And I've been running a 160* t-stat since 6k miles

Brutal Metal

Established Member
What makes you think some dumbass mechanic at a chain shop is any better than you at burping the cooling system? Just follow procedures and you'll be fine, especially a guy with your car knowledge.....
Also there isn't a 160 stat on the market properly designed for this car..

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
What makes you think some dumbass mechanic at a chain shop is any better than you at burping the cooling system? Just follow procedures and you'll be fine, especially a guy with your car knowledge.....
Also there isn't a 160 stat on the market properly designed for this car..

I agree, Tony you have more than enough basic car guy knowledge to do this T-sat and coolant change out. It will be great experience for you.

The first time you take the rad cap off while the burp cap is off and watch all the coolant slide down into the rad tank from the top of the engine you will go :eek: holy shit!
No wonder we have air issues when that rad cap leaks air!

NotoriousGT350

Lubbock Terminator
Established Member
I was nervous about doing mine, but followed the procedure to burp the bubbles out and turned out great. I did datalog drives around town for a few days just to make sure everything was good.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
Thanks guys! I'll be tackling this when I get back in town
Btw, pretty sure the tstat I have is a Hypertech....it's the one we stocked while I worked at Strictly Performance...I thought it was a 160*

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
It's easy man...people blow it completely out of proportion. Just take your time and burp it accordingly. An aftermarket temp gauge helps as well as you will know quickly if the car will overheat on you...

Jefe

Established Member
I used the instructions above and have had no problems. Installed the Reische stat as well. I would definitely soak the tstat housing bolts in WD40 to loosen them up. I stripped mine and had to drill them out. Also make sure the front end of the car is up in the air and run the heater!
Thanks guys! I'll be tackling this when I get back in town
Btw, pretty sure the tstat I have is a Hypertech....it's the one we stocked while I worked at Strictly Performance...I thought it was a 160*
I would test it while your system is apart. Reische did some tests and the stock tstat didn't open till like 205 or 208. Boil some water with a thermometer and your 160 stat in it and see when it full opens.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread